Robin Ventura should be fired today

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (GhostofDickeyKerr @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
Funny, since Himes was the best GM he ever had and the only one who gave a deuce about developing the minor league system.

KW. 1999-2001. #1 minor league system in the game, according to Baseball America. Mostly that talent was used for trading for veterans (Everett/F.Garcia/Ritchie) but Buehrle/Garland stuck around. Biddle and Danny Wright for awhile. Fogg/Wells/Reed/Olivo/Morse/Webster/Myette cut loose. Barcelo succumbed to injuries.

Rauch, Borchard and Ginter the biggest busts.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 01:09 AM)
Isn't ventura in his last year? Less than 1% chance they fire him. He won't be back next year that's a given. I hope

I would agree. I also think the blame is just as much on the GM ( whoever that really is) for giving Robin

a flawed roster. Danks, Rollins, an awful bench, etc are all on poor decisions made going into the season. Bur regardless , it is time to move on from Robin. But now rather than wait. Test drive Renteria when games mean something. Then after the season, they can at least have a feel for what direction he may take the team. It is really a free sample for 4 months. My only concern is GM. If a change is coming there, want that person selecting his own manager.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 06:33 AM)
Just a hunch, but if the Sox lose this series, I expect that to be it for RV.

I like hunches.

Here is how the series looks:

Boyd (0-1, 3.38 ERA) v. Shields (0-1, 31.50 ERA)

Zimmerman (8-3, 3.30 ERA) v. Gonzalez (1-1, 3.57 ERA)

Pelfrey (1-6, 4.68 ERA) v. Sale (10-2, 2.87 ERA)

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)

I agree, even though I think it will do no good. They are running out of options. The new guy will be an idiot until either Morneau comes back and is decent, or another bat is acquired.

This lack of offense has been going on a few years now. Either they need to re-evaluate how they target guys or they need someone new acquiring them.

One thing that is never discussed is JR loves "I told you so" moments. When they won the division in 1983, his locker room comments were directed at Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall. When they won the divison in 2000, his comments were to all the people who ripped the "White Flag" trade. There is nothing more he wants to do than win with Robin managing. He would like to stick it up all Robin's critics butts. It's one reason he still regrets letting LaRussa go. Most here are too young to remember those years, but even before the internet, he was always blasted. It was just as harsh or even more harsh than it is at Robin.

But it is getting to the point where he really can't give him an extension, and they have to "do something". If they don't win 2 out of 3, I'm with you, I don't think he will be boarding their charter with the Hawkeroo.

Edited by Dick Allen

With the luck of the White Sox recently, their record will be even worse under Renteria and there will be a spate of injuries. Anderson will have to be sent back to AAA or AA and everyone will freak out about them rushing him and worrying constantly he'll be the mishandled prospect to come through the pipeline.

A lot of ppposing teams' radio announcers have really been questioning why the Sox "rushed" Rodon to the majors as well, at least recently.

With the luck of the White Sox recently, their record will be even worse under Renteria and there will be a spate of injuries. Anderson will have to be sent back to AAA or AA and everyone will freak out about them rushing him and worrying constantly he'll be the next mishandled prospect to come through the pipeline.

A lot of opposing teams' radio announcers have really been questioning why the Sox "rushed" Rodon to the majors as well, at least recently.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 05:33 AM)

He should be fired today. They have continued to fail even w/ odds on their side. They can't keep losing ground like this.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 07:31 AM)
I would agree. I also think the blame is just as much on the GM ( whoever that really is) for giving Robin

a flawed roster.

Every team has a flawed roster, well 30 or so do. It's up to the manager to maximize the good and minimize the flaws over the course of a long season. Which means flaws play sometimes.

I don't know if Robin is to blame for this slide, but I still can't figure out where he adds value either. If the players like him, great, but plenty of employees would love to have a lax boss. That doesn't mean it's good for the organization though, especially when the employees aren't performing.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
Loyalty without accountability be it to a sports team, a religion, a politician a government whatever you want to name is usually not a good thing.

Mark

I think most people would would disagree. Loyalty implies trust. Now I understand that people have no reason to trust someone they don't know and have never met, such as your examples of sports teams and politicians. You shouldn't have loyalty to people you don't know. I understand the concept here as people are frustrated. However, loyalty is usually a good thing when it comes to any type of personal relationship. I've just never heard the word in such a strong negative connotation.

I know it helps me at work with my supervisors. I know if patient's have complaints or file lawsuits, they'll be on my side.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
I think most people would would disagree. Loyalty implies trust. Now I understand that people have no reason to trust someone they don't know and have never met, such as your examples of sports teams and politicians. You shouldn't have loyalty to people you don't know. I understand the concept here as people are frustrated. However, loyalty is usually a good thing when it comes to any type of personal relationship. I've just never heard the word in such a strong negative connotation.

I know it helps me at work with my supervisors. I know if patient's have complaints or file lawsuits, they'll be on my side.

A stable organization is also much more attractive to someone on the outside looking to join it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
And then 25% blame their fellow White Sox fans. It's a neat trick. Maybe the most successful thing KW has done in the last ten years, getting the fans to take responsibility for the product on the field rather than poor judgement/inefficient allocation of resources.

You are one of the reasons KW stopped talking to the media. He never said anything to that effect. He describes the structure for revenue. Prior to the season they know much is available through advertising, season ticket holders and so on. The only variable is the number of walk up fans. If more show up they have more money to spend. If fewer show up they have less to spend. He did not say "it's the fans fault, we are where we are." He answered a simple questions about revenue and possible moves. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said but because he was never really friendly to the media, they all ran with the "KW blames the fans." And the fans bought into it.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
The Tribune has a headline today- "Could AJ Pierzynski return to the White Sox as manager?"

I don't think that would ever happen. It also would never work. There wouldn't ever be a person on his side. He doesn't have the personality to be a manager.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
You are one of the reasons KW stopped talking to the media. He never said anything to that effect. He describes the structure for revenue. Prior to the season they know much is available through advertising, season ticket holders and so on. The only variable is the number of walk up fans. If more show up they have more money to spend. If fewer show up they have less to spend. He did not say "it's the fans fault, we are where we are." He answered a simple questions about revenue and possible moves. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said but because he was never really friendly to the media, they all ran with the "KW blames the fans." And the fans bought into it.

There is such a weird guilt factor there. When you talk about the situation in factual terms of what the attendance levels mean for finances, for some reason people take that as a personal insult. Kenny's talks about that have been no different. The attendance is a direct factor in what can or can't be spent. This is a fact.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
I don't know if Robin is to blame for this slide, but I still can't figure out where he adds value either. If the players like him, great, but plenty of employees would love to have a lax boss. That doesn't mean it's good for the organization though, especially when the employees aren't performing.

This is the main point I struggle with as well. I don't think Robin is doing a great job, can't figure out where he adds value, but don't think he's responsible for this slide. I think he's the result of a problem, not the problem itself. The problem is that organizationally we have had the philosophy that we could patch holes for going on 12 years, and we have mortgaged the farm for years to do so.

All that said, I also don't understand what moves people think the White Sox should have made in this season to be in a particularly better position right now. Their freaking bust of a DH quit a week and a half before opening day, putting a huge hole in a lineup that already had holes. The pitching was never particularly great beyond Sale and Q, who have performed.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Firing Robin might salvage this season a little, but what happens after that? Wouldn't they have to sign his successor to a new contract after the season anyway?

I don't know. It seems more likely that they'll let Robin finish this season and then let him go in the offseason.

I truly do believe that he gets fired after the Detroit series if it doesn't go well. Rick Renteria becomes the interim. If Renteria guides them to the playoffs, I suppose he could receive the permanent title but I expect Sandy Alomar to be the manager next season.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 10:13 PM)
This is Hahn's 4th or 5th year as GM. Is that enough time to determine this?

I really don't feel like the problem is Hahn. I think the problem is that JR has brought in a new group of decision makers like Hahn and Hostetler and kept the old guard around Williams, Lauman, and Bell, which just leads to having too many cooks in the kitchen and and a hybrid philosophy to running an organization that doesn't really excel at anything. The problem probably isn't RV, but there are not a lot of other moves to be made to get the ship righted at this point.

I am so ready for JR to move on from this team. He has mentioned that he wants his family to get out of baseball so I wish he would just hurry up and do it.