White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
Right. There is no reason to trade Sale or Q for a fair package. You want them, pay up big time. With WSD, I heard Dan Hayes say a couple of times there was no way Boston was getting Sale without giving up Betts.

I can see a Q trade at the deadline but not Sale. A team is going to have to give up a young controllable hitter (Betts) for Sale along with 4 top prospects. No team will do that midseason, if at all.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
BBTN just had a segment about Sale and what it would take to get him.

Boston - Said Bogaerts and Betts are totally off limits and that Moncada, Benentendi, Kopech, and Swihart was too much. Said Moncada, Kopech, Swihart, and Eduardo Rodriguez was a fair return for the White Sox.

Rangers - Said Mazara, Gallo, Profar, and Dillon Tate was too much and that Mazara, Profar OR Gallo, Luis Ortiz, and Dillon Tate was a fair return.

I don't think I'm good with either of the "fair" packages. Especially with some of the trades that have already happened in the past couple weeks. Three and a half years of a top 5 pitcher in baseball on an extremely team friendly deal is going to have to be an unprecedented package of talent in return and I'm not seeing that in the afore mentioned proposals.

I hate this f***ing show but it perfectly sums up what I think of BBTN and their stupidity regarding Sale's value...

59050599.jpg

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 08:44 PM)

Boston - Said Bogaerts and Betts are totally off limits and that Moncada, Benentendi, Kopech, and Swihart was too much. Said Moncada, Kopech, Swihart, and Eduardo Rodriguez was a fair return for the White Sox.

Rangers - Said Mazara, Gallo, Profar, and Dillon Tate was too much and that Mazara, Profar OR Gallo, Luis Ortiz, and Dillon Tate was a fair return.

I don't think I'm good with either of the "fair" packages. Especially with some of the trades that have already happened in the past couple weeks. Three and a half years of a top 5 pitcher in baseball on an extremely team friendly deal is going to have to be an unprecedented package of talent in return and I'm not seeing that in the afore mentioned proposals.

I just watched that video. It was just awful. Sale would get Moncada AND Benintendi. Then he ignored Devers which I know he's 19 but we lack 3B talent in the minors.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)

Dont they know that is the ONLY DAMN way the Sox trade Sale, is if they get what BBTN calls "too much"?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
If Boston doesn't make a deal with us at the deadline, then I could see them going all out for Sale during the winter meetings. JBJ or Betts, Moncada, Benintendi and Kopech and a smaller A prospect.

I think it's now or never for a Sale trade. I get the philosophical reasons for a Winter Meetings deal, but I just don't see the Sox being in sell mode this winter.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
A package that starts with Mazara and Profar would be sick.

Profar only has three more years of control. Gallo and Tate, in addition to Mazara and Profar, would be necessary for Sale.

Why are people so high on Profar anyway? He has just three years of control, and it's not like he's lit the world on fire so far, he's been a league-average hitter. His minor league numbers are just OK too. What am I missing? Is it just the positional versatility?

When I read some of your trade proposals I'm thinking a lot of real estate.

We see a moderate piece going for a top 25 prospect and we say "Sale is 10x more valuable than that! We should get 10x the price!"

But, similar to real estate, while you might see runs that suddenly see a piece of crap single family home double in price, at the high-end there is usually much more variability. Sure, if a 3 bedroom rehab, your 10 bedroom mansion should get 7x that. But there are very few people that can afford 7x that price, and the negotiation between asking and sale are huge variations.

Point is, yeah, Sale IS so much more valuable than Drew Pomeranz. He is so much more valuable than half a year of chapman. But at some point when you are casually throwing around that teams should give up literally their entire stock of talent for 1 player, it just doesn't make sense for them.

Boston is attractive because not only does it have the #1 prospect in the game, it has 2 in the top 10 and multiple in the top 100. Saying "we'll take all of it" will just leave you to disappointment here. Either you will feel intensely disappointed with the return or you will continue to see Sale playing for whatever team construction this is.

We are taking a risk getting rid of him. We know we can get to watch an Ace pitch every fifth day for 3 more years...it just happesn to be on a team with no easy way to collect all star talent in any of its positions.

Or, you can trade that, get 2 impact prospects and a host of lottery tickets, and hope that they can go at a level and improve our development so we can hope that Fisher, Call, Eaton, Anderson, Collins can form a team with you know, ideallly Moncada and Benitendi, and then wild cards on the levels of Zangari, Engel, Adolfo, and the others.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
When I read some of your trade proposals I'm thinking a lot of real estate.

We see a moderate piece going for a top 25 prospect and we say "Sale is 10x more valuable than that! We should get 10x the price!"

But, similar to real estate, while you might see runs that suddenly see a piece of crap single family home double in price, at the high-end there is usually much more variability. Sure, if a 3 bedroom rehab, your 10 bedroom mansion should get 7x that. But there are very few people that can afford 7x that price, and the negotiation between asking and sale are huge variations.

Point is, yeah, Sale IS so much more valuable than Drew Pomeranz. He is so much more valuable than half a year of chapman. But at some point when you are casually throwing around that teams should give up literally their entire stock of talent for 1 player, it just doesn't make sense for them.

Boston is attractive because not only does it have the #1 prospect in the game, it has 2 in the top 10 and multiple in the top 100. Saying "we'll take all of it" will just leave you to disappointment here. Either you will feel intensely disappointed with the return or you will continue to see Sale playing for whatever team construction this is.

We are taking a risk getting rid of him. We know we can get to watch an Ace pitch every fifth day for 3 more years...it just happesn to be on a team with no easy way to collect all star talent in any of its positions.

Or, you can trade that, get 2 impact prospects and a host of lottery tickets, and hope that they can go at a level and improve our development so we can hope that Fisher, Call, Eaton, Anderson, Collins can form a team with you know, ideallly Moncada and Benitendi, and then wild cards on the levels of Zangari, Engel, Adolfo, and the others.

Or you can not get your asking price met, and you have one of the best lefties in baseball until the beginning of the next decade for super cheap.

I'm not saying that is the best plan, but it is a reasonable plan. Doing nothing and hoping for better results is not a good plan.

I'm just saying, asking for literally all of their top 5 prospects is something no team could do when those top 5 prospects are not only in the top 150 but 3 in the top 30.

If you could honestly get Moncada, Benitendi and Kopech in a deal, you make that work, you get some random interesting pieces, but to continue to add devers and what not. Even kopech out of it (he could be huge bullpen piece for them immediately) is still a deal I'd pursue. But to take all of them, would you do that if you were the red sox? I wouldn't. That leaves you so vulnerable to depth issues with no valuable pieces to fill it up with or trade off for.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
I don't want to trade Quintana or Sale unless it's to Boston and Dodgers and we get back Benintendi, Moncada, Urias as parts of the deals.

If a deal isn't a home run, you have a hard time selling it to the fan base. Unless you get an uber prospect, plus a pile of other guys, this will be a PR issue, especially since the media is going to sell this as the Sox overreacting to Sale's meltdown if it happens.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Or you can not get your asking price met, and you have one of the best lefties in baseball until the beginning of the next decade for super cheap.

That was in the post. I don't see any possible way with our payroll where it is, farm where it is to get enough depth and offensive impact talent to get us to a top 3 team in the AL. I don't want to trade both Sale AND Quintana, but I've hit the point where having an ace really isn't that exciting on a team that continues to waste all of it's resources for a +4 win effect every year. At that pace we may get to the one game playoffsSale's last year. But that's in a down year.

We need more talent and spinning your best assets is the only way I can see out of this. As I've said before, I'm 100% confident trading Quintana or Sale gets us to the playoffs faster than staying the course unless we suddenly have 100 million added to our annual budgets.

I think what I'm saying is getting 2 top 10 prospects plus a flexible package outside that is a home run. Few times can you get an ace, few times can you get two top ten offensive prospects when you are position player starved.

If we really can't get both in a deal, then I'm out. But I don't see us getting any of their ML talent, I wouldn't if I was them.

That right there is why it is very unlikely Sale will be traded until he has 1.5 or less years of control left. If you can get the same for him then as you can now (sort of what you're saying in that no one will pay full value RIGHT NOW), then you may as well keep him through 2017, at the very least.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
If the Sox are serious about moving him, they'll listen on reasonable packages. If not, you'll keep hearing "starts with Betts/Bogaerts" through the weekend.

I don't think he is going anywhere though.

Yeah, I agree. He is very likely going to stay put at this point. No one really seems eager to meet Hahns demands and KW is probably a lot less interested in letting a trade happen while the team is in the middle of a winning streak no matter how futile it seems to most people.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Assuming we stay the course and go for it again in 2017, 2018 looks kind of scary. They have only a handful of position players under control...Abreu, Eaton, Anderson, Saladino...that is a lot of holes to fill somehow.

Collins, Engel, Michalzewski, and Sanchez should all be able to fill in holes by then. Catcher is the biggest concern right now with none under contract for next year and nothing in the minors that is going to be ready to contribute.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Collins, Engel, Michalzewski, and Sanchez should all be able to fill in holes by then. Catcher is the biggest concern right now with none under contract for next year and nothing in the minors that is going to be ready to contribute.

Collins, Engel, Michalzewski, and Sanchez

None of these are sure things, Engel will be a thrill if he makes it to the big leagues as a starter, let alone impact starter we would not look for improvement on. Sanchez is maybe a backup. Trey is still so young and far to count on for 2018, and Collins we are hoping to be a catcher.

If that is your hope it just proves we really really need to change directions. That group there is likely putting us at bottom 5 as a core.