Jose Abreu

ronkark

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
My lord, you f***ing people.

Do you seriously strangle splits for "when it mattered" with other players in other eras? With other players on other teams?

Math nerds, please do me a favor and tell me how many more wins Jose Abreu would have netted us if his second half was his first half.

Add that total to the Sox's win total and tell me if we're in contention yet because Jose Abreu hit "when it mattered"

By the way - newsflash - if it turns out that Jose Abreu wouldn't have made a difference by himself "when it mattered" then guess what

IT DIDN'T MATTER.

JFC. A lot of you are looking WAY TOO HARD to find ways in which Jose Abreu had a bad season.

I'm sorry, but Jose Abreu did not have a bad season. His season will end up being very, very similar to last season. Last season was a good season. Not spectacular, but good.

If Jose Abreu had the 4 more home runs in the first half to make his numbers "acceptable", and if every one of those home runs turned a loss into a win, the Sox would still be out of contention.

Yes, because calling people names totally makes your point valid.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
My lord, you f***ing people.

Do you seriously strangle splits for "when it mattered" with other players in other eras? With other players on other teams?

Math nerds, please do me a favor and tell me how many more wins Jose Abreu would have netted us if his second half was his first half.

Add that total to the Sox's win total and tell me if we're in contention yet because Jose Abreu hit "when it mattered"

By the way - newsflash - if it turns out that Jose Abreu wouldn't have made a difference by himself "when it mattered" then guess what

IT DIDN'T MATTER.

JFC. A lot of you are looking WAY TOO HARD to find ways in which Jose Abreu had a bad season.

I'm sorry, but Jose Abreu did not have a bad season. His season will end up being very, very similar to last season. Last season was a good season. Not spectacular, but good.

If Jose Abreu had the 4 more home runs in the first half to make his numbers "acceptable", and if every one of those home runs turned a loss into a win, the Sox would still be out of contention.

Nah... no one is looking hard anywhere. Abreu struggled for a majority of the season... compared to his usual production. There was article after article talking about this in different baseball circles. This wasn't some thing made up by soxtalk people..

I'm excited he is hot as helI. It's made games fun again. It give us hope for the future... but it also doesn't erase what happened early in the season.

As I said upthread if Jose was doing this in a pennant race we'd be tickled pink. He had a down first 2/3 of the season and yea it didn't help the overall record. If he had contributed more the Sox would have won another 2-3 games but really it doesn't matter as even with a monster season from Jose the team wasn't going to win 86-88 wins for the playoffs.

Put more talent around him so if this happens next year the Sox were able to win more earlier and a hot stretch like this in late summer will actually matter in the playoff picture.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/09/15...-sox-.html?_r=1

Apparently before the game yesterday Abreu told a boy with cancer he'd try to hit a homerun for him.

That's really really cool. Jose seems like such a class act. Not sure how anyone could not root for the guy.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
That's really really cool. Jose seems like such a class act. Not sure how anyone could not root for the guy.

When I interviewed him for a project, I greeted him in Spanish. He responded in English with "Hello my friend" and responded with "Thank you my friend." For someone not fluent in English, it was a small but cool gesture.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Chicago White Sox
27 mins · Yesterday Jose Abreu hit his 25th home run of the season, marking the first time a White Sox player has hit 25+ home runs in each of his first 3 MLB seasons.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/…/sox-look-to-bounce-back…/

That's pretty neat. No need to be anything but pleased with Abreu.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
I just now heard the story from the Philadelphia announcer. Now I wonder what the kid's Visa status is/will be for next season. I hope he can stay here.

I believe a child who has a parent with a visa is automatically granted one in the same category as long as they are a minor.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
I just now heard the story from the Philadelphia announcer. Now I wonder what the kid's Visa status is/will be for next season. I hope he can stay here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0809-story.html

Abreu, whose parents joined him in the U.S. in 2014, said Dariel now has a five-year visa that will allow him to visit more often, and he thanked his agents for helping with the process.