2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 08:32 PM)
Alex from Fangraphs said that the Sox are looking to acquire athletic guys that play premium positions, which is something they lack in their system

I thought the Sox were changing their drafting philosphy? This is the philosophy that people began to hate recent of drafting athletic guys like Anderson, Hawkins, walker etc.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
I thought the Sox were changing their drafting philosphy? This is the philosophy that people began to hate recent of drafting athletic guys like Anderson, Hawkins, walker etc.

And it doesn't really gel with the Collins pick haha

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
This. Especially Erstad was well worth the draft pick.

Not to mention he said Erstad wasn't a premium position. I would consider CF a premium position.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)

Hawkins is a bad miss. Anderson is a good pick. The issue is that Reinsdorf was against spending money on amateur players and KW loved tools, athletes. Drafting tools athletes is fine but drafting ones that also don't cost a lot of money isn't a sound strategy. They need baseball players and Hostetler drafted many guys with more traditional baseball and on base skills. He is on the record saying that he wishes he would have taken more high school guys and he even said they are looking at high school players in this year's draft. It has to be both is what I'm saying. You always want guys that play premium positions because those guys can play other spots. Nick Hostetler comes from the Schuerholz school of scouting. I would expect a focus to be on power pitching and athletes. Dayton Moore subscribes to the same theory and Chris Getz worked under him for years.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Hawkins is a bad miss. Anderson is a good pick. The issue is that Reinsdorf was against spending money on amateur players and KW loved tools, athletes. Drafting tools athletes is fine but drafting ones that also don't cost a lot of money isn't a sound strategy. They need baseball players and Hostetler drafted many guys with more traditional baseball and on base skills. He is on the record saying that he wishes he would have taken more high school guys and he even said they are looking at high school players in this year's draft. It has to be both is what I'm saying. You always want guys that play premium positions because those guys can play other spots. Nick Hostetler comes from the Schuerholz school of scouting. I would expect a focus to be on power pitching and athletes. Dayton Moore subscribes to the same theory and Chris Getz worked under him for years.

by a hair haha

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)

I don't recall Hawkins or Walker or mitchell being players signed because they were cheap.

So what you're saying is that they are going to stick with the same philosophy of drafting athletes just pick better and younger ones? This board should have a field day with this.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 06:50 PM)
Pat Burrell, Darin Erstad, Nevin didn't play a premium psotion

Darin Erstad didn't play a premium position? Darin Erstad was a two time gold glove winner in CF, and the metrics back it up. Darin Erstad absolutely played a premium position.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)
Darin Erstad didn't play a premium position? Darin Erstad was a two time gold glove winner in CF, and the metrics back it up. Darin Erstad absolutely played a premium position.

How are we ranking the positions in terms of premium?

I'd probably go...

SS

CF

3B

RF

C

2B

LF

1B

So where do we draw the line?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
Catcher I believe should be top 3 for sure.

I went back and forth on that, but I feel like that position has taken a hit the past few years. Hence the question on if it should.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)
How are we ranking the positions in terms of premium?

I'd probably go...

SS

CF

3B

RF

C

2B

LF

1B

So where do we draw the line?

I would look to positional adjustments for WAR.

C +12.5

1B -12.5

2B +2.5

SS +7.5

3B +2.5

LF -7.5

CF +2.5

RF -7.5

DH -17.5

So, in order, C, SS, 2B/3B/CF, LF/RF, 1B, DH. Considering how difficult it has been historically to find a good SS, we are living in a veritable golden age. Tim Anderson would be considered one of the best up and coming shortstops 6 years ago. Now people hardly know who he is.

Here's the list of players who put up 2.0 WAR or more in 2010 http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

And now 2016 http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0

But, point being, if you find a catcher who can hit, play in 120 games, and produce excellent numbers offensively, you are talking about an MVP candidate. The problem lies in the fact that it's a grueling position to play and destroys the body, so said player is virtually theoretical.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:03 AM)
Hindsight is 20/20

Of course it is, but that is completely besides the point.

One would hope that baseball executives learn from history, particularly recent history.

I think that premium positions should be important, but this is a fascinating topic.

Identifying solid bats at premium defensive positions is obviously ideal, but so difficult because players that tend to be ahead of the curve offensively often tend to be ahead of the growth curve to remain at those same premium positions. Such a mindf*** for scouts trying to project some of these guys.

Gets you to the point where you're utilizing almost all projection to try and find the few guys that will produce offensively and be able to remain at their premium position.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Hawkins is a bad miss. Anderson is a good pick. The issue is that Reinsdorf was against spending money on amateur players and KW loved tools, athletes. Drafting tools athletes is fine but drafting ones that also don't cost a lot of money isn't a sound strategy. They need baseball play ers and Hostetler drafted many guys with more traditional baseball and on base skills. He is on the record saying that he wishes he would have taken more high school guys and he even said they are looking at high school players in this year's draft. It has to be both is what I'm saying. You always want guys that play premium positions because those guys can play other spots. Nick Hostetler comes from the Schuerholz school of scouting. I would expect a focus to be on power pitching and athletes. Dayton Moore subscribes to the same theory and Chris Getz worked under him for years.

So I know I'm the evil "Reinsdorf Bogeyman", but don't you see how this guy's philosophy has crippled the organization over the years, even in recent years? He's not new to Major League Baseball and it's ways. He's been in the game for nearly 40 years, yet his strategy and vision continue to be fraught with flawed thinking. So frustrating...

In all serious that would be a terrible pick, when you draft a DH first overall or a projected DH. There's a reason why up the middle players are always the first players taken in any draft and the top international targets

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 01:20 AM)
In all serious that would be a terrible pick, when you draft a DH first overall or a projected DH. There's a reason why up the middle players are always the first players taken in any draft and the top international targets

If he was projected to potentially play a corner spot and he was around the 6 or 7 pick and we picked there, I'd probably take him. But probably not first overall.

Christopher Crawford‏ @Crawford_MILB

Just had a source with a team picking in the top ten say they like him more wth the bat. He's good at baseball.

Aaron Fitt‏ @aaronfitt

So, um, I guess Brendan McKay’s “minor” abdominal injury sure was minor. Dude struck out 15 today over 7 scoreless vs. Pitt; just 2 H, 1 BB.