Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Meanwhile Addison Reed actually turned out to be really, really good (although typically, after he left the Diamondbacks)

Especially since many on this board though it was a no brainer to trade an MLB proven "just a reliever" for a shot at a potential 3B

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
Not calling you out but I don't understand why several people want to see Matt Davidson yet don't want anything to do with Avi Garcia playing in a rebuild. At least Avi failed in the major leagues. What is it about Matt Davidson that screams anything but in two weeks we will have seen more than enough, if it even takes that long?

Yes his numbers improved his 4th year of AAA, but his OPS was still .001 lower than Leury Garcia's.

Yeah I'm fine with Avi in RF honestly. Between him and Coats, I'd rather see Avi.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
Reed was never a complete failure at the major league level either. He was usually at least OK.

It should be a caution to all those that think the White Sox already have the 2019 greatest rotation in baseball. Eaton and Davidson were similarly ranked as prospects. One turned out better than could be expected, the other went from 'when can he be called up and not be a super 2" to a AAA strikeout king with 2 White Sox AB in 3 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
It should be a caution to all those that think the White Sox already have the 2019 greatest rotation in baseball. Eaton and Davidson were similarly ranked as prospects. One turned out better than could be expected, the other went from 'when can he be called up and not be a super 2" to a AAA strikeout king with 2 White Sox AB in 3 years.

If the White Sox get good returns on the rest of the ML assets they trade and have that development track record throughout, this team will be a force to be reckoned with in the not too distant future.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)

That's why they needed to stock pile them. At least 3-4 should work out.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Personally, Laurie is the perfect sell-high guy at the deadline this season as long as he can stay healthy.

I don't think there's much to sell high on, unless in addition to staying healthy he takes his game to somewhat of a higher level. To date, even a healthy Lawrie has been mediocre at best.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
I don't think there's much to sell high on, unless in addition to staying healthy he takes his game to somewhat of a higher level. To date, even a healthy Lawrie has been mediocre at best.

He's not a superstar, but he was on pace for around 20 HR's last year. He'll also be just 27, entering his prime, and is making less than he made last year. There are teams that add that type of player every year at the deadline for the playoff push.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
He's not a superstar, but he was on pace for around 20 HR's last year. He'll also be just 27, entering his prime, and is making less than he made last year. There are teams that add that type of player every year at the deadline for the playoff push.

I would not expect much in return for Brett Lawrie

I'm surprised the Dodgers aren't in on him. He'd be a lot cheaper in terms of prospects than Dozier and making only $3.5 mill.

Lawrie was at one time good enough to be trade for Josh Donaldson. He will probably get injured and have mediocre numbers, but he has done well in the past. He's playing for a contract, and has some talent. Probably nothing will come of it, but its a better chance than a lot of players.

His prime isn't much. Do GMs still care about "on pace for" homer numbers?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
Lawrie was at one time good enough to be trade for Josh Donaldson. He will probably get injured and have mediocre numbers, but he has done well in the past. He's playing for a contract, and has some talent. Probably nothing will come of it, but its a better chance than a lot of players.

Exactly. He has at least as much potential as Saladino. The good news is, there's no reason not to let everyone just compete for jobs. If Saladino outplays Lawrie, then he'll be the guy.

As much as I loathe the continued existence of Avisail Garcia, the same goes with the OF. No reason not to let everyone continue to push. All you Jason Coats fans rejoice: he'll have a chance to prove you all correct.

And for the GreenSox school of posters: rebuilds are about asset collection. One thing that every successful modern rebuild has in common is one or two extremely valuable pieces that were discovered from the scrap heap -- amidst the corpses of a thousand others that were also acquired. Signing has-beens and post-hype sleepers is all good news. The more the merrier. Even guys that are too old to be a part of the next winner are trade bait if they break out. The Brewers are doing this right now, too. They've already found Jonathan Villar, and there are more intriguing possibilities behind him. This is the new way to take your owner's today-money and send it to the future -- the league has successfully capped spending on every form of amateur now.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)

No, they don't -- but for us it means he is more than capable of putting up a crazy strong month prior to the deadline and netting us a real prospect.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Exactly. He has at least as much potential as Saladino. The good news is, there's no reason not to let everyone just compete for jobs. If Saladino outplays Lawrie, then he'll be the guy.

As much as I loathe the continued existence of Avisail Garcia, the same goes with the OF. No reason not to let everyone continue to push. All you Jason Coats fans rejoice: he'll have a chance to prove you all correct.

And for the GreenSox school of posters: rebuilds are about asset collection. One thing that every successful modern rebuild has in common is one or two extremely valuable pieces that were discovered from the scrap heap -- amidst the corpses of a thousand others that were also acquired. Signing has-beens and post-hype sleepers is all good news. The more the merrier. Even guys that are too old to be a part of the next winner are trade bait if they break out. The Brewers are doing this right now, too. They've already found Jonathan Villar, and there are more intriguing possibilities behind him. This is the new way to take your owner's today-money and send it to the future -- the league has successfully capped spending on every form of amateur now.

I seriously had no idea this existed.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)

Using that argument, Sale and Eaton were traded for absolutely garbage then, especially with Moncada and his .211 BA. There are many cases where a certain player takes longer to breakout and begin playing more consistently. Players don't just stop progressing once they hit a certain age. Jose Bautista is a perfect example (he didn't hit over 16 HR's until he was 29 yrs. old). Not that I think Lawrie is a superstar-in-the-making, but he's not a terrible player like a few people on here suggest. He's average right now and has flaws, but the potential for him to become better than he has been still exists (just as it does for him to become worse).

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Using that argument, Sale and Eaton were traded for absolutely garbage then, especially with Moncada and his .211 BA. There are many cases where a certain player takes longer to breakout and begin playing more consistently. Players don't just stop progressing once they hit a certain age. Jose Bautista is a perfect example (he didn't hit over 16 HR's until he was 29 yrs. old). Not that I think Lawrie is a superstar-in-the-making, but he's not a terrible player like a few people on here suggest. He's average right now and has flaws, but the potential for him to become better than he has been still exists (just as it does for him to become worse).

That's really not my logic at all.

Moncada isn't a good comparison. Moncada is 21.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
Matt.

You hailed?

I've been higher on Coats than most, guilty. I think he can make a fine MLB 4th OF. Maybe even a little more, getting platoon or short-term starting time on a non-first-tier or rebuilding team if the opportunity arose. That's my read anyway.

He's an odd case in that he doesn't have a single plus tool, except maybe his arm. But he's also no lower than 45 on any tool. Instead of the typical, White Sox "toolsy outfielder" types with 1-3 big tools and 1-2 huge holes in their game, Coats is the opposite. I think it plays, but we'll see. He's got similarities to a RHH Ross Gload type - can hit for average, some power but not at a plus level, doesn't walk much (or enough) but makes regular hard contact with an aggressive approach, line drive swing, has a little speed but nothing special. Gload had a stronger hit tool to be sure, but Coats plays at least average to above average corner OF D, as opposed to Gload being a 1B who can play OF in a pinch. A Gload-like career is Coats' ceiling, but as an OF instead of 1B/DH/PH/occasional OF.