2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

38 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

New Law Mock Draft

Tigers - Mize

Giants - Bart

Phillies - Bohm

Law also notes that Madigal is not in play with Giants or Phillies. So looks like he will be available at 4 at this point.

I'm very much on board with selecting Madrigal. Even knocking his MLB.com grades down a little still results in a solid player:

Scouting grades: Hit: 65 | Power: 40 | Run: 60 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55 MLB.com

He's small, but if Ozzie Albies can start hitting for power I'm sure Madrigal can as well. I think he is the Sox guy at #4, especially if the Giants and Phillies aren't in on him. 

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Insane how Madrigal is clearly the top bat

This is reminiscent of how Aiken and Kolek went before Rodon or how Dillon Tate went before Fulmer

We have to remember Madrigal missed half the season this year. But just a few days ago he was up .470 ( that's batting average  not OBP or SLG) in 23 games this year.

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Insane how Madrigal is clearly the top bat

This is reminiscent of how Aiken and Kolek went before Rodon or how Dillon Tate went before Fulmer

I'd be OK with that pick.  If he really is that talented and athletic, we can find a place to play him even with Moncada and Anderson in the middle of the IF.

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'd be OK with that pick.  If he really is that talented and athletic, we can find a place to play him even with Moncada and Anderson in the middle of the IF.

Where exactly would you play him?

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

We're getting....so....close.....ahhhhh

I know right! This will be the first draft in 3 years that I won't either be in an airplane, at an airport, or being in a tattoo session. Excited to be able to actually take in the first two days uninterrupted.

29 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Where exactly would you play him?

With the read on his athleticism, sounds like he should be able to give a go at CF or LF depending on his arm.  Maybe even 3B for the same reason.  If he really is a 60 to 65 hitter with medium power and 60 speed who takes walks and doesn't strike out, we will make a place for him.

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

God do I wish they put Timmy in LF for rest of season and put Yolmer at SS. It would potentially solve so many possible issues.

What?  Anderson has the potential to be a great SS.  He has a way better arm and better range than Yolmer.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the read on his athleticism, sounds like he should be able to give a go at CF or LF depending on his arm.  Maybe even 3B for the same reason.  If he really is a 60 to 65 hitter with medium power and 60 speed who takes walks and doesn't strike out, we will make a place for him.

Athleticism aside, it truly sounds like his makeup, desire to improve, and work ethic are off the charts. I pretty much wouldn't put any position past him, which has been echoed by a few publications.

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What?  Anderson has the potential to be a great SS.  He has a way better arm and better range than Yolmer.

Long term Yolmer is a master utility guy for me. 3rd base should be upgraded this offseason with more power. As for Timmy being great at SS, I don't see it at all

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Long term Yolmer is a master utility guy for me. 3rd base should be upgraded this offseason with more power. As for Timmy being great at SS, I don't see it at all

Much like Alexei looked like when he first got here, Anderson has all of the tools.  He has to keep working and mature into them.  Yolmer does not have the defensive toolbox that Tim has.

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

I agree with this, It's a nice idea but Sox would never do it :( 

Mark
2:33
Yesterday Kiley said the top 3 picks in the draft might get blown up. Can you provide any more details?

Eric A Longenhagen
2:35
Meh. We just think the pack up top is close enough that you can talk yourself out of Mize between his injury history, atypical pitch usage, etc. We've been operating under the assumption that he'd go 1 for a while now but all that stuff I just mentioned plus what we know about where Detroit decision makers have been lately indicate that other scenarios are more possible than we've discussed up to this point.

Just now, DirtySox said:
Mark
2:33
Yesterday Kiley said the top 3 picks in the draft might get blown up. Can you provide any more details?

Eric A Longenhagen
2:35
Meh. We just think the pack up top is close enough that you can talk yourself out of Mize between his injury history, atypical pitch usage, etc. We've been operating under the assumption that he'd go 1 for a while now but all that stuff I just mentioned plus what we know about where Detroit decision makers have been lately indicate that other scenarios are more possible than we've discussed up to this point.

As we suspected. Tigers might not be slam dunk on Mize.

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why LF though?  Seems like he’d be way more valuable in CF.  If you moved Anderson to CF, drafted Madrigal, and signed Machado for 3B, you could have a lineup like this in 2019 & 2020:

1. Moncada, 2B

2. Machado, 3B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Jimenez, LF

5. Davidson, DH

6. A. Garcia, RF (Robert in 2020)

7. Anderson, CF

8. Sanchez, SS (Madrigal in 2020)

9. Castillo, C (Collins mid 2019)

That’s a pretty sick lineup with a bunch more prospects pushing for roles or used as trade chips.

Victor
2:38
What mid-first round prospect do you see becoming a steal in the draft. Who could be the faster riser to the MLB?

Eric A Longenhagen
2:39
I love Anthony Seigler. Fastest riser? Probably one of the college arms, like Kowar.

5 hours ago, maggsmaggs said:

New Law Mock Draft

Tigers - Mize

Giants - Bart

Phillies - Bohm

Law also notes that Madigal is not in play with Giants or Phillies. So looks like he will be available at 4 at this point.

I hope that's true, though I have my doubts.  Seems like the factors leading so many on this board to gravitate toward Madrigal are the same ones that might move him out of our reach.