2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

10 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Also have a feeling Madrigal will be the SS in KAN sooner rather than later, 2020 ETA, seems to be able to play SS fine or 2B

If they draft Madrigal, I'd think they'd start him at W-S. I'd be stunned if they started him in Kanny.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:11 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Interesting updates. They have Madrigal as #3 in the class and give him 65Hit, 60RUn and 40Power. I've seen 20 power elsewhere. That changes things a bit if he can stay at SS. They have Singer at #2. With the rumors of Detroit possibly passing on Mize, I would hope that the Sox jump on that opportunity if given the chance. Mize is 60FB, 60SL, 70SPL and would be in the big league rotation at this time next year. 

Nobody in the majors has 20 power (except for Billy hamilton and dee gordon), the 20 is probably a present grade. Scouts always had him at 10-12 homers which is 40.

What his proponents hope is that the juiced mlb ball and maybe 10 pounds of muscle turn him into a 15-20 homer guy which could make him a star like pedroia.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

White Sox director of amateur scouting Nick Hostetler already knows who he wants to select with the team's top pick at No. 4 when the 2018 MLB Draft begins on June 4.

"Yeah, I do," said Hostetler, who is now stationed in Chicago leading up to the Draft. "I have a pretty good feel on who I would like to take. I have a pretty good feel on everybody as a whole. All of our staff, [general manager] Rick [Hahn], [executive vice president] Kenny [Williams], [assistant general manager] Jeremy [Haber], [director of player development Chris Getz], guys who have seen players.

"I feel pretty good about where we are at with it. The way I look at this is our order, what our order is. It's only four picks. So I have a pretty good feel of what our order is going to be barring anything crazy happening in the next 10 days. I'm pretty confident."

"Pitcher or hitter is irrelevant at this point. Position is irrelevant at this point," Hostetler said. "Doesn't matter if we have it in the big leagues. Doesn't matter if we have a wealth in the Minors. Doesn't matter if we just drafted it. We are going to take the best guy regardless of position."

That to me seems like he's referring to Bohm. They just drafted Burger last year, could go 3B yet again.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:27 AM, Joshua Strong said:

In this draft, I’d rather be picking 10-15 than 1-5. 

Please explain.  Obviously, there are a lot of players bunched together, but I would like to read your thoughts.

It doesn't make sense to want to pick 10-15, but it does make sense to want to be in the position of the Royals or Rays over ours. They have a ton of picks when there is still going to be a ton of high upside talent on the board and because they aren't picking in the top 5, they can afford to be a little more risky with their picks and go for the high upside guys. All of those high upside high school guys that we couldn't justify taking because they would be too risky for us right now are available to them and they could get several of them with the number of picks they have. 

It would be a good year to trade down in the draft for extra picks, if MLB allowed that sort of thing.
India at under-slot would be interesting, depending on what they do with that savings.  He's a reach at 5, but if it allows them to get a first round talent with the 2nd pick, it could work.  He's probably not a SS, but at least they would have a legit 3B prospect.

its very interesting to see how people value different tools. Because there is nobody who has strong tools across the board people have a wide variety of opinions. Also a lot of people seem to have a very high tool and a very low tool which causes further division

36 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

The system is jammed with outfielders. There's nobody at WS that would prevent Madrigal from going there.

While none of the guys are high end prospects, there is a bit of an infield jam at the lower levels.  Laz Rivera already needs a promotion ASAP.  My guess is if we draft Madrigal, he starts the season in Kannapolis and takes Rivera’s spot post promotion.  If he dominates, then they find room for him in W-S before the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While none of the guys are high end prospects, there is a bit of an infield jam at the lower levels.  Laz Rivera already needs a promotion ASAP.  My guess is if we draft Madrigal, he starts the season in Kannapolis and takes Rivera’s spot post promotion.  If he dominates, then they find room for him in W-S before the end of the season.

Also Curbelo is in Kan. It seems he is playing 3rd with Laz there, and if it is Madrigal I guess Madrigal would be the starting SS.

5 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Also Curbelo is in Kan. It seems he is playing 3rd with Laz there, and if it is Madrigal I guess Madrigal would be the starting SS.

Yeah, I’m still not sure if they’re playing Curbelo at 3B because Laz is the better SS or if they think that’s likely his long-term home.  But Madrigal would get priority at SS over him and pretty much anyone else.  Still a lot of bodies for Getz to manage in A ball between Madrigal, Rivera, Curbelo, Forbes, Yrizarri, and some of the more fringey guys like Blackman, Remillard, & Roman.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

BA Top 500 updated with some movement, and scouting reports on everyone.  Believe it's pay-wall, but if anyone wants something shared I'd be happy to oblige.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2018-top-500-mlb-draft-prospects/

Biggest jumps in the top 50ish that I see.

- Noah Naylor to 20 from 34.

- JT Ginn to 39 from 46.

- Nico Hoerner to 42 from 65.

- Seth Beer to 46 from 57.

- Tristan Pompey to 51 from 33.

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You guys are right, there is a bit of a log jam. Roman and Yrizarri are holding their own at WS and you're right about Rivera needing to get promoted. I stand corrected. :)

Fangraphs finally released their 2018 draft rankings. Lots of interesting stuff there. They gave Madrigal a 70 hit tool grade, along with 70 speed, 60 field, 50 arm, 50 (game) power, 45 (raw) power. Those are all future grades, of course, but the game power grade being higher than the raw suggests that they also feel the hit tool is so good that it will carry the power numbers with some XBH production that you might not expect from his raw power. They're also really high on Larnach in comparison to most places.

Edited by Dam8610
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Fangraphs finally released their 2018 draft rankings. Lots of interesting stuff there. They gave Madrigal a 70 hit tool grade, along with 70 speed, 60 field, 50 arm, 50 (game) power, 45 (raw) power. Those are all future grades, of course, but the game power grade being higher than the raw suggests that they also feel the hit tool is so good that it will carry the power numbers with some XBH production that you might not expect from his raw power. They're also really high on Larnach in comparison to most places.

Interesting the game power is higher than the raw power. Don’t see that very often.