2017 Minor League Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know minor league playoff stats don't "count", just like in the majors, but what happens to the numbers?

For example, if you go to a player's baseball-reference page who played in the 2016 minor league playoffs, those stats are nowhere to be found. For the majors, there's at least the "postseason hitting" category.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
I know minor league player stats don't "count", just like in the majors, but what happens to the numbers?

For example, if you go to a player's baseball-reference page who played in the 2016 minor league playoffs, those stats are nowhere to be found. For the majors, there's at least the "postseason hitting" category.

You can find them on both baseball reference and fangraphs, they're on separate tabs.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Keith Law released his 2017 prospect of the year - Vlad Jr.

The 7 runners up included Tatis (re-iterates that he'll be a top 10 prospect next year, with a Manny Machado comp) and Alec Hansen.

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7614

For those non subscribers, any other hitters on the list? How do they stack up to Eloy?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 07:52 PM)
For those non subscribers, any other hitters on the list? How do they stack up to Eloy?

Here's the full list after Vlad Jr.

It's not supposed to be a prospect ranking, its for "who showed the best performance in the minor leagues" this year. He gave greater weight to guys who were young for their level.

Acuna

Tatis

Bichette

Devers

Whitley

JoJo Romero

Hansen

No Eloy. For Hansen, Law notes that he led the minors in strikeouts on the year and would probably be a top 10 pick in a 2016 redraft.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
Where is the tab, exactly? I can't seem to find it on bb ref. Thanks

To the right of the big lettering "Standard Batting" there's a button that says "Show Minors". There's also a tab to the right of the "[Name of Player] Overview" tab that says "Minor Lg Stats".

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
To the right of the big lettering "Standard Batting" there's a button that says "Show Minors". There's also a tab to the right of the "[Name of Player] Overview" tab that says "Minor Lg Stats".

Yikes, I apologize. I must've misspelled "playoff" and had it autocorrect to "player" in the top line of my original post. While I can see the minor league stats you're referencing, I still can't find the minor league playoff stats. Sorry for the confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

From Longenhagen's chat today:

Dooduh

12:18 Name 5 minor league catchers you see as ML regulars 5 years from now (not counting Mejia).

Eric A Longenhagen

12:21 I'll say Sisco, Collins, Stephenson, Haase, Trevino

Anthony

12:23 So at this time last year you hyped up Acuna as a potential top 10 guy a year from now. Anyone you could see making that type of jump this timev around?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:24 Yeah, I had him in the 30s on the overall top 100 last offseason (I think?) so I'll look to that range on my SUmmer 100 for a name...

12:25 I could see a breakout Leody Taveras year or a summer of Luis Robert raking through three levels happening.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
From Longenhagen's chat today:

Dooduh

12:18 Name 5 minor league catchers you see as ML regulars 5 years from now (not counting Mejia).

Eric A Longenhagen

12:21 I'll say Sisco, Collins, Stephenson, Haase, Trevino

Anthony

12:23 So at this time last year you hyped up Acuna as a potential top 10 guy a year from now. Anyone you could see making that type of jump this timev around?

Eric A Longenhagen

12:24 Yeah, I had him in the 30s on the overall top 100 last offseason (I think?) so I'll look to that range on my SUmmer 100 for a name...

12:25 I could see a breakout Leody Taveras year or a summer of Luis Robert raking through three levels happening.

Hope he's right :headbang

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
Haha true. I was just referring to the skepticism that he will stick at catcher.

Yeah, I think Collins squashed alot of the skepticism this year. He still has work to do but I think it's safe to say he surpassed most expectations on how much he would improve defensively this year.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Yeah, I think Collins squashed alot of the skepticism this year. He still has work to do but I think it's safe to say he surpassed most expectations on how much he would improve defensively this year.

After his promotion to AA the stock looked better too. It was also comforting to read interviews with him where he admitted that focusing on defense took from his strides at the dish. Couple that with reports out of the draft that scouts had him as a currently ready big league hitter and I've come around on Collins.

At the time of the pick, I wasn't a fan.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 12:41 AM)
After his promotion to AA the stock looked better too. It was also comforting to read interviews with him where he admitted that focusing on defense took from his strides at the dish. Couple that with reports out of the draft that scouts had him as a currently ready big league hitter and I've come around on Collins.

At the time of the pick, I wasn't a fan.

Yeah, I also liked that he recognizes he has a hitch in his swing and asked the Sox if they could until the off season to work on fixing it. Makes sense with him focusing so much on the defensive side of his game during the season.

Was it the uncertainty of Collins sticking at Catcher that you weren't a fan of? IIRC, that was the concern for some folks on draft day.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
Yeah, I also liked that he recognizes he has a hitch in his swing and asked the Sox if they could until the off season to work on fixing it. Makes sense with him focusing so much on the defensive side of his game during the season.

Was it the uncertainty of Collins sticking at Catcher that you weren't a fan of? IIRC, that was the concern for some folks on draft day.

Collins for me was behind others available with my preference. Some of which haven't turned out as well as he has and one other who is actually now in our farm. I didn't care for the hitch in his swing and didn't know enough of him defensively to be stoked on the pick.

He was also the first pick under the new regime - before we knew of their now two year long philosophy of evaluating hitters.

By no means did I hate the pick and quickly gave him some trust.

A year and a half later, I'm happy about him and more hopeful.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 12:14 AM)
Collins for me was behind others available with my preference. Some of which haven't turned out as well as he has and one other who is actually now in our farm. I didn't care for the hitch in his swing and didn't know enough of him defensively to be stoked on the pick.

He was also the first pick under the new regime - before we knew of their now two year long philosophy of evaluating hitters.

By no means did I hate the pick and quickly gave him some trust.

A year and a half later, I'm happy about him and more hopeful.

Gotcha. I take it Rutherford is the guy you wanted in the draft?