2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
For those that said we don't have shooting...we did add 2 3 point shooters (+ Dunn) as well as overall athleticism. I legitimately wonder what happens with Wade. For those who wanted it...Bulls picked a lane.

We’ll have a ton more on the future of the Bulls. But it certainly is a move that has the Bulls ‘picking a direction’. That direction is down the toilet. While any trade of a star like Butler should include at least one blue-chip prospect, or maybe multiple swings at a future superstar, this is multiple swings at rotational players at best. They may get a great pick in 2018 as their team will be among the worst in the league.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Interestingly we're $27-28M under cap right now without offering QO to Niko or MCW. Is that why we traded away the 16th pick?

I hope you are not suggesting to sign a max contract type player. We need to tank and tank hard. I hope to god we didn't trade Jimmy to go straight back to NBA hell.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
I hope you are not suggesting to sign a max contract type player. We need to tank and tank hard. I hope to god we didn't trade Jimmy to go straight back to NBA hell.

Who out of this FA class takes the bulls to anything but that place?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:17 PM)
Hard to believe people are paid millions of dollars to be this bad at their job.

I get the idea, I just can't believe they couldn't have gotten better trash later on.

Meh, if you're bad, you're bad. Cut Wade, let Rondo go. Win 12 games and get Porter.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 05:53 PM)
Interestingly we're $27-28M under cap right now without offering QO to Niko or MCW. Is that why we traded away the 16th pick?

Are you implying we are going to go heavy in FA? Who is even worth going heavy in FA? Hayward is obviously good...but he isn't coming to Chicago.

Leaf is who I wanted the Bulls to pick @ 16 (had we still had the pick). Is this Markanen (sp?) any good? Clearly a great shooter, which fits and seems like he has handles. Poor rebounder at this point and not a good defender (at least as of now). Seems like what we thought Niko was going to be (and a role that has upside). That said, only way I can see him being a game changing is if he goes full on Dirk (maybe he can).

I would think we'd be moving Rolo for a pick, but maybe plan is to keep him and then move him at the deadline (keeping him around as a solid mentor)? I never thought Bulls would move Butler so I'm caught off guard. I laugh though since most everyone on this board b****ing were the same people b****ing about moving Jimmy in the first place.

How will people react if the Lakers get Butler for multiple 1st's and Clarkson (not the #2 overall pick)?

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/what-th...-no-plan-062217

damn

Kris Dunn, who showed in his first year that he was a massive — MASSIVE — stretch at No. 5 in last year’s draft. (He’s two years older than Karl-Anthony Towns, by the way, and he shot 40 percent on two-pointers last year.)

• Zach LaVine, a solid starter, but nowhere near a game-changer, unless it’s a dunk contest. (He’s also coming off a significant knee injury, having torn his ACL in February — who knows what he’ll be like coming back.)

• The right to move up nine picks in the 2017 NBA Draft, to select Lauri Markkanen (whose best NBA comparison might be the Bulls restricted free agent power forward Nik Mirotić).

The Bulls didn’t get Andrew Wiggins, and they didn’t land multiple first-round picks, setting themselves up for years to come — they traded their first-round pick (No. 16), in the deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:34 PM)
Leaf is who I wanted the Bulls to pick @ 16 (had we still had the pick). Is this Markanen (sp?) any good? Clearly a great shooter, which fits and seems like he has handles. Poor rebounder at this point and not a good defender (at least as of now). Seems like what we thought Niko was going to be (and a role that has upside). That said, only way I can see him being a game changing is if he goes full on Dirk (maybe he can).

Yeah leaf was intwresting for middle of 1st.

Still can't believe the bulls gave up a first and got no future 1sts.

Probably because they wanted Dunn and feel he can be good.

Sadness level rising.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/what-th...-no-plan-062217

damn

Kris Dunn, who showed in his first year that he was a massive — MASSIVE — stretch at No. 5 in last year’s draft. (He’s two years older than Karl-Anthony Towns, by the way, and he shot 40 percent on two-pointers last year.)

• Zach LaVine, a solid starter, but nowhere near a game-changer, unless it’s a dunk contest. (He’s also coming off a significant knee injury, having torn his ACL in February — who knows what he’ll be like coming back.)

• The right to move up nine picks in the 2017 NBA Draft, to select Lauri Markkanen (whose best NBA comparison might be the Bulls restricted free agent power forward Nik Mirotić).

The Bulls didn’t get Andrew Wiggins, and they didn’t land multiple first-round picks, setting themselves up for years to come — they traded their first-round pick (No. 16), in the deal.

In a star driven league...we officially have no stars...and traded our star most likely for no one who can be a "star". Everyone on this board complained about NBA hell...I'd argue this is a lot more like NBA hell. A day ago we had a top 10 player in this league...now we don't. Hopefully the front office is smarting then we all think.

Here's my thoughts since everyone is going to disagree with me: I hated giving up the 16 pick and if we would have made this same deal last year we probably would have had a top 3 pick in this draft instead of possibly getting one next year. As is, I'm happy they picked a lane even though they didn't get full value for Jimmy. Trading him isn't going to hurt this franchise that was going no where with him anyway.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
Here's my thoughts since everyone is going to disagree with me: I hated giving up the 16 pick and if we would have made this same deal last year we probably would have had a top 3 pick in this draft instead of possibly getting one next year. As is, I'm happy they picked a lane even though they didn't get full value for Jimmy. Trading him isn't going to hurt this franchise that was going no where with him anyway.

I mean, as a fan of the White Sox, you don't see the benefit of getting off on the right foot with a rebuild?

This was their only opportunity, and they seem to have completely blown it...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
I mean, as a fan of the White Sox, you don't see the benefit of getting off on the right foot with a rebuild?

7 was not an ideal pick. I know zoom hates him but Markanen at least has upside.

Had they kept the 16 maybe they can turn 7, 16 and something into Fox. But instead they have Dunn and are basically hoping that somehow last year was not indicative of his fulure performance.

Personally just bummed we couldn't turn Butler into fox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)

NBA rebuilds don't reward hitting the ground running. Some years there are only one or two stars and they usually go one or two. To tank is to do everything you can to get enough ping pong balls to land the number one or two pick. The problem is, get too good without getting that transcendent star and you lose the opportunity to break through the NBA hell barrier.

It sucks it has to be that way, but the game is the game.