Your 2018 Chicago White Sox Opening Day Lineup

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)
What about our rotation? If Rodon, Lopez and Kopech are ready, playing devil's advocate, why can't we build a real pitching staff around those guys and contend? The basis of this thread is we're supposed to hit next year.

I will never understand why the rebuild requires us to win 65 games two years in a row minimum when a lot of these guys are "ready." Sign two veteran pitchers for 10 mill a year apiece like the Royals always do, get a few bullpen guys and uh, win?? Is it that hard to sniff .500 in this crap division? I know, it is.

If this post angers you, please ignore it. Not meant to argue. I "get it." We're in a rebuild. We're supposed to lose. I'm just playing along with the first post that says we should hit next year.

Well, 3 key pieces of the future are leading our rotation ... but they have to suck first before getting good? Modern baseball really fatigues me. If I'm running a team I never do not consider the possibility of winning.

Despite what others say, I think we will hit and score some runs, maybe 8th or 9th in the league in runs scored. But the pitching will be inevitably what will hurt us, especially if they keep guys like Covey and sign another veteran like Holland or Shields to plug holes. I do hope they sign MiGo again.

But to respond specifically to what you say, I don't think a lot of these guys are "ready." A lot of adjustments need to take place as the league adjusts to them. The main thing I am.looking for in the rebuild is to see how specific players respond to adversity. In baseball, you will fail. How do players take that failure? Talent is one thing, but adjusting is another.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 03:20 AM)
Despite what others say, I think we will hit and score some runs, maybe 8th or 9th in the league in runs scored. But the pitching will be inevitably what will hurt us, especially if they keep guys like Covey and sign another veteran like Holland or Shields to plug holes. I do hope they sign MiGo again.

But to respond specifically to what you say, I don't think a lot of these guys are "ready." A lot of adjustments need to take place as the league adjusts to them. The main thing I am.looking for in the rebuild is to see how specific players respond to adversity. In baseball, you will fail. How do players take that failure? Talent is one thing, but adjusting is another.

Great post.

Not seeing Engel as an everyday player unless he can OPS 675+.

He's really going to have to fight to earn that spot...Tilson, even moreso.

Assuming Avi and Leury aren't traded...

OF Leury, Avi, Delmonico/Cordell.....huge battle for backup spots.

Davidson, Anderson, Moncada, Abreu

Catching stays the same, rotating DH.

Saladino should be gone (which means he will stick again), no idea what happens with Yolmer and Hanson. IMO, SANCHEZ deserves a chance to play everyday on another team probably.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 07:02 PM)
What about our rotation? If Rodon, Lopez and Kopech are ready, playing devil's advocate, why can't we build a real pitching staff around those guys and contend? The basis of this thread is we're supposed to hit next year.

I will never understand why the rebuild requires us to win 65 games two years in a row minimum when a lot of these guys are "ready." Sign two veteran pitchers for 10 mill a year apiece like the Royals always do, get a few bullpen guys and uh, win?? Is it that hard to sniff .500 in this crap division? I know, it is.

If this post angers you, please ignore it. Not meant to argue. I "get it." We're in a rebuild. We're supposed to lose. I'm just playing along with the first post that says we should hit next year.

Well, 3 key pieces of the future are leading our rotation ... but they have to suck first before getting good? Modern baseball really fatigues me. If I'm running a team I never do not consider the possibility of winning.

The 2009-2016 White Sox beg to differ.

The off season starts with Hahn trading Avi Garcia and Abreu for more prospects. This will be done in the name of a rebuild. I see it as more of a salary dump to get this team to have the lowest payroll in MLB. All this translates into more profits for JR. This leaves the team with the following lineup: 1B=Gillaspie, 2B=Moncada, SS=Anderson, 3B=Davidson, LF=L. Garcia, CF=Engle, RF=Delmonico, C=Smith. Starting Rotation Rodon, Shields, Lopez and Holland. (Hahn resigns Holland thinking that he'll have a rebound year) Bullpen= The same group who are in our present bullpen. After Rodon gets off to a good start Hahn will sign him to a contract extension. After the All Star break Hahn will then trade Rodon to the Cubs for more of their prospects. Nobody ever talks about this but Hahn is a life long Cubs fan. He never attended a White Sox game in his life until he started working for them. And finally for a job well done (Last place team with the lowest payroll=enormous profits) JR will reward Hahn with another contract extension,

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
The off season starts with Hahn trading Avi Garcia and Abreu for more prospects. This will be done in the name of a rebuild. I see it as more of a salary dump to get this team to have the lowest payroll in MLB. All this translates into more profits for JR. This leaves the team with the following lineup: 1B=Gillaspie, 2B=Moncada, SS=Anderson, 3B=Davidson, LF=L. Garcia, CF=Engle, RF=Delmonico, C=Smith. Starting Rotation Rodon, Shields, Lopez and Holland. (Hahn resigns Holland thinking that he'll have a rebound year) Bullpen= The same group who are in our present bullpen. After Rodon gets off to a good start Hahn will sign him to a contract extension. After the All Star break Hahn will then trade Rodon to the Cubs for more of their prospects. Nobody ever talks about this but Hahn is a life long Cubs fan. He never attended a White Sox game in his life until he started working for them. And finally for a job well done (Last place team with the lowest payroll=enormous profits) JR will reward Hahn with another contract extension,

I think you might need a new hobby.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
Just curious...why is everyone so hyped on Gillaspie?

Because he was a former 1st round pick & BA top 100 prospect.

Unfortunately, he's done nothing this year to warrant such hype and I honestly believe Delmonico is the superior prospect at this point even if he can't stick in LF.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1- Abreu isn't going anywhere. He's worth more to the team than what the team would receive for Abreu via trade.

2- if it's about lining JR's pocket then why did JR just spend 28m on a 19 prospect?

3- Rodon's agent is Boras. Please tell me the last time a Boras client signed an extension with four years of team control left.

4- Rodon won't be traded to the cubs because that system has been tapped. What do the cubs have left to offer?

5 what does it matter if Hahn grew up a cubs fan? It has nothing to do with his job. Does every player grow up a fan of the team they play for? No. Stone spent many years in the cubs broadcast booth but I didn't hear you complain over that. Why? Because it doesn't matter.

6- if this rebuild continues its course, it's ahead of schedule. If, in a few years, we see the rebuild is a success, Hahn absolutely should get an extension.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)

This may be one of the most ludicrous posts I've ever seen on any message board.

If you honestly believe the stuff that you write, full of conspiracy theories and opinions that have no basis in fact, it may be time to seek professional help.

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)

Dude.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)

It's OK to be pissed off and have a post like this. The team you describe would (no hyperbole) by far be the worst in baseball history. It'd be lucky to back into 40 victories.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
This may be one of the most ludicrous posts I've ever seen on any message board.

If you honestly believe the stuff that you write, full of conspiracy theories and opinions that have no basis in fact, it may be time to seek professional help.

He's venting. Some fans like he and me still are upset we have to go through this right now. Some of us believe the unabashed losing is not going to be helpful to the prospects, either. Hopefully I'm wrong. But you have to admit, the owners do have it made through this popular rebuild. Everytime a salary is dumped, the fans are giddy cause we lose more and also gain can't miss prospects that someday will pay off. It's perfect for owners. They can have the lowest payroll ever, and make record profits and the fans are thrilled cause we lose more. It's really a unique time. Tanking wasn't always popular.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
It's OK to be pissed off and have a post like this. The team you describe would (no hyperbole) by far be the worst in baseball history. It'd be lucky to back into 40 victories.

He's venting. Some fans like he and me still are upset we have to go through this right now. Some of us believe the unabashed losing is not going to be helpful to the prospects, either. Hopefully I'm wrong. But you have to admit, the owners do have it made through this popular rebuild. Everytime a salary is dumped, the fans are giddy cause we lose more and also gain can't miss prospects that someday will pay off. It's perfect for owners. They can have the lowest payroll ever, and make record profits and the fans are thrilled cause we lose more. It's really a unique time. Tanking wasn't always popular.

When you get past all the details of this whole thing, it really all comes down to two things: patience and hope. Every year is filled with that second ingredient, and that is for every team. This year and next and possibly the year after requires patience for our team. This kind of game isn't for those who need instant gratification all the time. This sport is all about development, no matter what stage of the game you are in. In our case, it's just all about development in the first stages of many careers. And we hope that the majority of them end up performing like they are projected to, with some surprises here and there (e.g. Delmonico...so far anyway).

If Hahn is a closet Cubs fan who just wants them to win, why would he demand their top two prospects for Q? He should have asked for Justin Grimm and Tommy La Stella. Mind blown.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
That is pretty much the lineup the Sox have been using since the trade deadline and they are last in the AL, averaging 4 runs per game. So if all those players put up offensive numbers like they have been it will be pretty much the same as this season. We need a major improvement from Moncada, Avi needs another career year, Abreu can't slip and everyone else needs to improve a little except maybe Delmonico whom in fairness may be playing over his head.

I think next year is another bad year where we get a good draft pick and hopefully see Moncada bust out and Anderson raise his average 20 points.

Avi has been in and out of the lineup since the AS break. Davidson 's been out the last 2 weeks. Not sure he and Delmonico has ever been in the same lineup together. The thing about rebuilds when you say a guy like Davidson or Leury are playing over their heads, it's just your guess or opinion based on their past. What if they aren't ? Also someone else could step up Cordell who we have yet to see play or Liriano or Willy Garcia. Moncada, as you said, also needs to start fulfilling some of his potential or the few posts we have seen so far about his bat will grow into an outcry.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)
When you get past all the details of this whole thing, it really all comes down to two things: patience and hope. Every year is filled with that second ingredient, and that is for every team. This year and next and possibly the year after requires patience for our team. This kind of game isn't for those who need instant gratification all the time. This sport is all about development, no matter what stage of the game you are in. In our case, it's just all about development in the first stages of many careers. And we hope that the majority of them end up performing like they are projected to, with some surprises here and there (e.g. Delmonico...so far anyway).

True. Patience is a virtue. I will say if they trade Abreu and Avi they are going to try to dominate from 2020 to '25 in a very unusual way. Virtually all prospects and all new players (plus whatever free agents they sign) in that span. Virtually nobody with any Sox history at all (except Anderson and Moncada and Lopez and Rodon who will be veterans by then I guess). Very very weird if Abreu and Avi get dealt. I'm starting to think both will get dealt. Fits into what Hahn has been doing: Trading anybody with any value at all and going for it with all new, young players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 07:02 PM)
If Hahn is a closet Cubs fan who just wants them to win, why would he demand their top two prospects for Q? He should have asked for Justin Grimm and Tommy La Stella. Mind blown.

I've finally checked to see how Q is doing. Man, he's only going 6 innings. Maybe that's the nature of the NL with pinch hitters for pitchers but he's not been dominant at all. Didn't see if he pitched today.

Edited by greg775

#meltdown

Gonzalez pitched a good game for the win today. This will probably be his last start in a White Sox uniform. I thought we would get at least 2 more starts from him before the August 31 deadline. Now that Lester is on the Cubs DL , I figure Hahn will trade Gonzalez to his life long favorite team the Cubs. Older fans remember when Arnold Johnson owned the Kansas City As he traded numerous of his best players to the Yankees. It went on for years. It helped the Yankees maintain their dynasty in the 1950s and 1960s. I can't help but wonder if we're going to see the same type of situation with the Cubs and Hahn. He recently traded Quintana which should help them the next few years getting into the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzalez go the Cubs either.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)
Gonzalez pitched a good game for the win today. This will probably be his last start in a White Sox uniform. I thought we would get at least 2 more starts from him before the August 31 deadline. Now that Lester is on the Cubs DL , I figure Hahn will trade Gonzalez to his life long favorite team the Cubs. Older fans remember when Arnold Johnson owned the Kansas City As he traded numerous of his best players to the Yankees. It went on for years. It helped the Yankees maintain their dynasty in the 1950s and 1960s. I can't help but wonder if we're going to see the same type of situation with the Cubs and Hahn. He recently traded Quintana which should help them the next few years getting into the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzalez go the Cubs either.

Dude just STFU and take your insane conspiracy theories elsewhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)

I understand that however literally almost every single post contains conspiracy theories, inane comments and digs at JR.

Look I'm not the biggest JR fan in the world, he's done some good things, he's done some things that have been extremely harmful to the franchise but I'm not willing to think he's tanking on purpose to increase his bank account, that's insane. He just gave 28 million to Robert for example. And the thought that Hahn is a secret Cub fan implying that he's out to destroy the Sox and help the Cubs is flat out insane. INSANE.

That is going beyond venting which I completely understand.

Maybe this guy is simply trying to get a reaction from other posters...if so, mission accomplished!

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)

I don't mind these posts cause I understand your frustration. You are being sarcastic somewhat which is ... fine IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 11:10 PM)
Dude just STFU and take your insane conspiracy theories elsewhere.

He's mad at the team's record. What's wrong with that? Just read his posts for what they are. There are very few of us who post negative stuff, why not read it for what it is. Venting.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 02:21 AM)
I understand that however literally almost every single post contains conspiracy theories, inane comments and digs at JR.

Look I'm not the biggest JR fan in the world, he's done some good things, he's done some things that have been extremely harmful to the franchise but I'm not willing to think he's tanking on purpose to increase his bank account, that's insane. He just gave 28 million to Robert for example. And the thought that Hahn is a secret Cub fan implying that he's out to destroy the Sox and help the Cubs is flat out insane. INSANE.

That is going beyond venting which I completely understand.

Maybe this guy is simply trying to get a reaction from other posters...if so, mission accomplished!

That is true, Lip Man. That money given to Robert is really the one thing that gives me hope the Sox might spend some money once they need a few free agents to tidy up the bullpen, maybe one starter, maybe a veteran DH once we get good. I love your work Lip Man. You are a great writer/asset to the board in educating us. Lip Man is all right by me.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
Dude.

So...yeah...

Something I have to add, is that I know this is just spit balling and all, but, by opening day, it will have been what about 20 months since Charlie Tilson played a competitive inning of baseball? Even if he can come back (I know I am rooting for him...) I highly doubt he won't need some minor league conditioning before joining the big club.

And there are some king sized "ifs" that even play into that. I'm not writing him off, but even if he comes back 100% it will take some time to get back on the horse.