2018 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

Some notes...

Greg Bird is back in the line up for the Yankees tonight. A powerhouse 1b added to an already league-leading offensive line up. Ow.

Alex Reyes is making his first MLB start of the year this Wednesday vs. the Brewers. He's absolutely killed it in his rehab stint. I mean, KILLED it. stats are insane.

Why is the NL so much more competitive than the AL?

In the AL we have: AL West (Astros, Angels), AL Central (Indians, and then probably twins for second WC), AL East (Yankees, Red sox) and no other teams really have a chance.

In the NL we have: NL West ( Diamondbacks, Dodgers, and Rockies all fighting), NL Central feels like the entire division is fighting, NL East also the entire division is fighting sans Marlins. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Some notes...

Greg Bird is back in the line up for the Yankees tonight. A powerhouse 1b added to an already league-leading offensive line up. Ow.

Alex Reyes is making his first MLB start of the year this Wednesday vs. the Brewers. He's absolutely killed it in his rehab stint. I mean, KILLED it. stats are insane.

Why is the NL so much more competitive than the AL?

In the AL we have: AL West (Astros, Angels), AL Central (Indians, and then probably twins for second WC), AL East (Yankees, Red sox) and no other teams really have a chance.

In the NL we have: NL West ( Diamondbacks, Dodgers, and Rockies all fighting), NL Central feels like the entire division is fighting, NL East also the entire division is fighting sans Marlins. 

Well, except for the Reds and Padres...

4 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

In retrospect, the cubs moves look absolutely horrible.

They've lost Eloy, Cease, Jorge Soler, Candelario, Gleyber Torres ++? 

Just badddd trades. Torres is a star, Soler and Candelario are really learning how to hit and we all know about Eloy and Cease.

Winning the World series for the 1st time in 108 years justifies the means.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Winning the World series for the 1st time in 108 years justifies the means.

This. Aroldis was out there every game in the post season. A lot of them for multiple innings and had only the 2 bad outings (or couple mistakes).

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

This. Aroldis was out there every game in the post season. A lot of them for multiple innings and had only the 2 bad outings (or couple mistakes).

I mean if you have a realistic chance to win a WS, you really have to think about going for it, but if the Cubs don't go for it there, and never win one, who know what happens to that franchise. 

That's true, but with how good Torres and Jimenez look....it feels like they might have limited themselves, where they end up in the playoffs consistently but don't win another.   I guess that's wishful thinking from a Sox fan perspective, that Cubs' fans get "bored" with winning but frustrated their team's not quite as good as Houston/Boston/NYY, etc.

Of course, adding a Harper or Machado could change all of that...but it would be a gamble.  And no, that never stopped Theo in Boston (fear of making the wrong FA acquisition or a bad trade), so I'm not sure why it would in Chicago.

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That's true, but with how good Torres and Jimenez look....it feels like they might have limited themselves, where they end up in the playoffs consistently but don't win another.   I guess that's wishful thinking from a Sox fan perspective, that Cubs' fans get "bored" with winning but frustrated their team's not quite as good as Houston/Boston/NYY, etc.

Of course, adding a Harper or Machado could change all of that...but it would be a gamble.  And no, that never stopped Theo in Boston (fear of making the wrong FA acquisition or a bad trade), so I'm not sure why it would in Chicago.

I would gladly take the "one and done" if it also meant watching competitive and post-season baseball every year.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

When you have 108 years looming over your head, you don't get to say "next year" as if you are the Yankees.  The Chapman trade won them the World Series.  Is isn't usually easy to be that specific, but his work down the stretch and in the playoffs was quite literally the piece that put them over the top. 

The Cubs do not win the World Series without Aroldis Chapman.  So while you can debate if with guys like Torres and Eloy do they win it a different year, I think you can make a real argument that if the Chapman deal isn't made, the Cubs never win a World Series in this stretch.  That has to be the basis of any "worth it" type of argument.  Would it be worth holding on to those guys if you never win the big one?

It's unreal how the Mariners are 15 games over with a RD of +17.  That is the 14th best differential in MLB.  The Mariners currently have the 3rd best winning percentage in MLB.  

These wins are "already banked" of course but they are in for some serious regression.  I'd be shocked if they were better than 5 over .500 the rest of the way.

16 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's unreal how the Mariners are 15 games over with a RD of +17.  That is the 14th best differential in MLB.  The Mariners currently have the 3rd best winning percentage in MLB.  

These wins are "already banked" of course but they are in for some serious regression.  I'd be shocked if they were better than 5 over .500 the rest of the way.

And they're maintaining this without Cano

18 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ohtani to be placed on the 10 day DL with a grade 2 sprain of the UCL.   Sounds like the fear of his elbow being structurally unsound is becoming reality

10 day? I dont think so.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

10 day? I dont think so.

They said they will re-examine in 3 weeks. I know nothing about ligaments, but he had a grade 1 in Japan. Now grade 2 with not a real heavy workload. Seems to me that ligament is going to pop eventually.

Edited by Dick Allen

On 5/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, soxfan2014 said:

I would gladly take the "one and done" if it also meant watching competitive and post-season baseball every year.

It's not as good of an experience as you think. Worse if there's a "Dynasty" from another team in that timeframe. Even worse if that "Dynasty" is a bunch of proven cheaters who only were able to achieve their success by cheating.

43 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They said they will re-examine in 3 weeks. I know nothing about ligaments, but he had a grade 1 in Japan. Now grade 2 with not a real heavy workload. Seems to me that ligament is going to pop eventually.

Its usually mechanically or effort related as we know for the UCL. The previous injury and the increased workload in the US doesnt bode well, thats for sure.