2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

How much more would marquee players, such as Harper and Machado make in N.Y. from endorsements, compared to Chicago? They're both big market cities, but no city compares to N. Y., certainly not the South Side of Chicago. Perhaps the North Side, but not the South Side.

Edited by Lillian

31 minutes ago, Lillian said:

How much more would marquee players, such as Harper and Machado make in N.Y. from endorsements, compared to Chicago? They're both big market cities, but no city compares to N. Y., certainly not the South Side of Chicago. Perhaps the North Side, but not the South Side.

The North Side & South Side are part of the same city / market.  And I’d wager there would be a lot more endorsement opportunities being the uncontested star of the White Sox than just another one of the Yankees.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you are talking about Hosmer he had already won a World Series . It always makes a difference. Are you trying to support my argument now.

That falls in line with everything I said.

Mike Hampton.

Denny Neagle

Jim Thome

Adrian Beltre

Clayton Kershaw

Prince Fielder

Joe Mauer

Justin Verlander 

Mark Texieiera

CC Sabathia 

Matt Kemp 

18 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Mike Hampton.

Denny Neagle

Jim Thome

Adrian Beltre

Clayton Kershaw

Prince Fielder

Joe Mauer

Justin Verlander 

Mark Texieiera

CC Sabathia 

Matt Kemp 

Not even sure why all these names are listed. Kershaw has always been a Dodger and the Dodgers almost always contend. Verlander only accepted a trade to Houston so he could try to win one. And he played with some good Tiger teams. Texas was probably a contender when Beltre signed with them. That,s just from my recollection of looking at those names. Not going to do a bunch of research on the other ones . Maurers always been a Twin so that's for reasons other than money too. Thome wanted to win a World Series badly. Had shots with Cleveland  , had a shot with us. Can we just agree to disagree  ? To some players its all about the money to some it isn't just have to see.

47 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It won't be this year. No reason for it. Work him in Arizona and carry the full 40 into the offseason with another month of evaluation time on the rest of the roster.

Merlin says the Sox plan to activate him after a few appearances so perhaps he is hearing something different. I thought it sounded a little curious. When a pitcher goes through 2-3 years of injury it may be time to move on. 

18 minutes ago, pcq said:

Merlin says the Sox plan to activate him after a few appearances so perhaps he is hearing something different. I thought it sounded a little curious. When a pitcher goes through 2-3 years of injury it may be time to move on. 

Isn’t he signed to a multi-year contract?  In that case, moving on equals $$$.  Sox will give him every chance before they do that.

On 9/2/2018 at 5:23 PM, flavum said:

More rain Wednesday for Kopech?  Could happen, unfortunately.

And Friday might have tropical storm remnants over Chicago. Blech.

Forecast for Wednesday night I saw would at the very least push back the start time a few hours. Both teams are off Thursday. We’ll see.

The tropical storm rain looks like Sat/Sun.

17 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Isn’t he signed to a multi-year contract?  In that case, moving on equals $$$.  Sox will give him every chance before they do that.

Jones contract for 19-21 are team options.

Due to his elbow surgery, his 2019 option is at the league minimum and his buy out is $1.25M.  Therefore, Jones is around for at least 1 more season.  Team options in 2020 and 2021 are now $3.75M and $4.25M, respectively.  So he can stay healthy next season, he may be around a few more seasons.  Think they'd probably move on after next season if he can't stay on the field, though. 

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I'd sign him to a two year deal.  

I'll give him this, he stays healthy and seems to be a good teammate.

Why?  Seems like an awful idea. I could at least see keeping him around on a cheap 1 year deal, but ideally Cease or Dunning are in the rotation by June or July, at the very least 2020.  No reason to sign him to a 2 year deal.  

If I were the Sox i'd be looking at a cheapish 1 year bounce back options (Harvey, Ryu, Garcia, Pomeranz, Lynn, etc.) to flip if they turn in a good first half, or just rolling with what we got in Rodon, Kopech, Gio, Lopez and whoever wins the 5th spot out of Stephens, Guerrero, or Adams.  

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A two year deal?  Awful idea.    One year with a vesting option of like 180 innings or something I'd be fine with.  I don't think anybody is going to offer him two years unless it's like two years with a AAV of 5 million.

I wouldn't even go that far.  One year with a team option, max.  I want control over 2020 so that if the NextGen is ready, Big Game James can sport his game on a beach or golf course somewhere.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wouldn't even go that far.  One year with a team option, max.  I want control over 2020 so that if the NextGen is ready, Big Game James can sport his game on a beach or golf course somewhere.

I was thinking if he does pitch 180 he'd have trade value in case such a scenario develops.