Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

So last weekend we were debating beating the cubs for the higher pick.

This weekend...if the Tigers get swept and the the cub lose 2 of 3 to the Cards,  Sox fans have a little joy.....hopefully at the same time though the Sox lose 1-0 four times. 

In my world...the Brewers sweep, as do the cubs and the Sox win 3 of 4 

I'm confused. I want the Cubs to at least tie so they have to play a tie-breaker against the Brewers on Monday and if they lose, have to play the wild card game Tuesday.

37 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm confused. I want the Cubs to at least tie so they have to play a tie-breaker against the Brewers on Monday and if they lose, have to play the wild card game Tuesday.

I'm worried about the Sox. I'm focused on San Diego, Detroit and Miami. I couldn't give any less of a fuck about what the result of the Cubs' weekend is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

If they pick 3rd or 4th, it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Yes it does in my mind

The orioles have the worst front office in the league, we could have a rodon situation happen where a likely #1 falls to us at 3. I believe we also get more draft money.

Edited by reiks12

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

Yes it does in my mind

The orioles have the worst FA in the league, we could have a rodon situation happen where a likely #1 falls to us at 3. I believe we also get more draft money.

These are the numbers from 2018.  I am sure they will go up a bit in 2019, but it gives you an idea of the differences JUST in round one.  The difference between 3/4 is over half a million dollars.  It is over a million from 3/5, and almost 1.5 million from 3/6.

3. Phillies: $6,947,500
4. White Sox: $6,411,400
5. Reds: $5,946,400
6. Mets: $5,525,200

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These are the numbers from 2018.  I am sure they will go up a bit in 2019, but it gives you an idea of the differences JUST in round one.  The difference between 3/4 is over half a million dollars.  It is over a million from 3/5, and almost 1.5 million from 3/6.

3. Phillies: $6,947,500
4. White Sox: $6,411,400
5. Reds: $5,946,400
6. Mets: $5,525,200

Thanks for this, if we draft 5th or 6th last year we possibly lose out on bryce bush (signed for 290k in the 33rd round).

Hopefully we are in a position to do something similar this year.

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Yes it does in my mind

The orioles have the worst front office in the league, we could have a rodon situation happen where a likely #1 falls to us at 3. I believe we also get more draft money.

Except that that didn't exactly work out swimmingly.   Rodon is okay but not much more.  The Astros passed on him and ended up with Bregman a year later.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

They only got Bregman bc of some issues on Aiken's medicals...they lucked into Bregman.

His point is that things worked out better for them by not drafting Rodon because Bregman is a better player, but that doesn't really matter to the point that there's lots of benefits to having a higher pick and sometimes a truly top guy does drop.

If you don't like the Astros passing on Rodon example, you could look a year earlier when the Astros passed on a 3b named Kris Bryant to draft Mark Appel and there's another case where a team passed on a guy and the next guy on the list sorta outplayed them.

3 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

Dumb question on tiebreakers for worse record. If we tie tigers, padres and or marlins who gets 3rd pick?  Thanx and it looks like 2 losses  for us tonight which is sweet. 

Since the Tigers had a worse record in 2017 if we tied they would get the higher pick.

We own the tie breaker against the Padres and Marlins for the same reason above.

3 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

Dumb question on tiebreakers for worse record. If we tie tigers, padres and or marlins who gets 3rd pick?  Thanx and it looks like 2 losses  for us tonight which is sweet. 

The tiebreaker priority order is Tigers- White Sox- Padres- Marlins based on last year’s order. 

Sox clinch a top 5 with a loss.

Sox clinch 4th if they lose and Tigers win.

If the Sox lose tonight and the Marlins win, they can clinch 3rd tomorrow with either outcome.

Here we are....

Sox are locked in to a top 5 pick.

With 1 more loss, or 1 win from both the Marlins/Tigers we secure the #3 pick.

With 0 losses, but only 1 loss from the Marlins, 2 losses from the Tigers, we get the #4 pick.

With 0 losses, but 2 losses from the Marlins, and 2 losses from the Tigers, we get the #5 pick.

Bottom line....just fucking lose tomorrow and take the drama out of Sunday, please.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24