25 Man Roster Predictions

Chicago White Sox

Alright, so from I can tell the Sox have not announced who is replacing Soria on the 25 man roster.  Additonally, there should be a bunch more moves in the coming days and weeks.  

So here’s my question: What are the roster moves you see happening between now and the middle of August?

This is not a trade prediction thread, so you need don’t to list any returns as part of this discussion.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I’ll go first:

• Hamilton called up (takes Soria’s spot)
  • Avalin traded / Bummer called up
  • Cedeno traded / Danish called up
  • Shields traded / Kopech called up
  • Stephens called up / Volstad DFA
  • Jones reinstated / Santiago DFA
  • Jimenez called up / Delmonico optioned to AAA
Edited by Chicago White Sox

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll go first:

Engel lives on eh? 

EDIT: I get it with the playing multiple positions since Delmonico is limited. I just don't like seeing him play at all.

Edited by SoxAce

Just now, SoxAce said:

Engel lives on eh?

Lol...I wanted to get rid of him, but who is the backup CF if we were play Leury there everyday?  I just don’t see how we can have a three man bench (including Smith) and have those guys be two of Davidson, Palka, & Delmonico.  We really need Cordell to come up & save the day, but that may not be until September at this point.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll go first:

It would make some sense to send Delmonico to Charlotte to play 1B/LF everyday until rosters expand, in leu of DFAing Davidson. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll go first:

I think Vieira is in the first 2 relievers called up.

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think Vieira is in the first 2 relievers called up.

For a while I thought that would be the case, but he's running a bit cold right now.  My guess is they let him build some confidence in the coming weeks and eventually call him before the end of the year.  Just not sure that happens in the next two weeks.

image.png

Just now, BamaDoc said:

Hamilton not on the 40 man and doesn't have to be this year to be protected, so I don't think it will be him.

Hamilton is also the best & most major league relief prospect at the moment.  He may not be the first guy up (I think he should be), but he'll definitely be up before year end and likely part of the 2019 opening day bullpen. 

I think Palka may be the one to go down rather than Delmonico. But could go either way of course. 

Alternatively, Davidson could go down or be DFA'd/traded, letting Delmonico stay on as a 1B/DH/LF. We'd still have capable third basemen in Sanchez and Leury. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Engel lives on eh? 

EDIT: I get it with the playing multiple positions since Delmonico is limited. I just don't like seeing him play at all.

I kind of wish they would develop Yolmer into being an outfielder in addition to the infield...I think there were talks of this. He has the speed to play center (not sure how the range and route skills would be). That way, you send Engel down instead of Delmonico or Palka, Davidson could be the 3B, Yolmer could take the majority of the starts in center with Jimenez in left and Leury being the ultimate super-sub. This is probably a pipe dream but it would fix a lot of the issues.

Palka (OF), Delmonico (OF), Leury (All positions), Smith/Narvaez. That's actually a pretty healthy bench. 2 lefties, one with power, the other with solid contact skills, and a switch hitter with some pop and speed. Amazing what a difference Jimenez would make for this offense.

Edited by Scoots

1 hour ago, Scoots said:

I kind of wish they would develop Yolmer into being an outfielder in addition to the infield...I think there were talks of this. He has the speed to play center (not sure how the range and route skills would be). That way, you send Engel down instead of Delmonico or Palka, Davidson could be the 3B, Yolmer could take the majority of the starts in center with Jimenez in left and Leury being the ultimate super-sub. This is probably a pipe dream but it would fix a lot of the issues.

Palka (OF), Delmonico (OF), Leury (All positions), Smith/Narvaez. That's actually a pretty healthy bench. 2 lefties, one with power, the other with solid contact skills, and a switch hitter with some pop and speed. Amazing what a difference Jimenez would make for this offense.

Moncada and Anderson too . Throw them into into the OF mix . There's not going to be room here for the Engel's Cordell's Delminoco's and Palka 's so might as well get other guys who actually might be able to play CF competently into the mix.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Moncada and Anderson too . Throw them into into the OF mix . There's not going to be room here for the Engel's Cordell's Delminoco's and Palka 's so might as well get other guys who actually might be able to play CF competently into the mix.

While I'm against moving Moncada/Anderson from their current positions, there's pretty much no downside to letting them learn CF as a backup position like we apparently are doing with Yolmer. I think both of them would be able to field adequately out there. 

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Looks like I was off on Vieira lol.  At least I got the Danish & Volstad pieces right although not together.

This makes total sense.  Vieira, though struggling is on the 40 man.  Danish gets added to the 40/25 and gets the chance to show if he deserves to be protected this offseason as he would need to be.  If he fails, he may be released or outrighted.  Hamilton doesn't require offseason protection until after 2019.  As roster issues begin to matter, we will see more of this.

Here's an idea for the outfield:

Engel to AAA, Eloy to MLB

Then the question becomes who plays CF, as only Leury is capable

So then you move Cordell to MLB (bound to happen sooner or later) and option Palka or Delmonico to AAA.

Suddenly you have an outfield of Jimenez, Cordell/Leury, and Avi, with one of Leury/Cordell off the bench and one of Palka/Delmonico able to fill in at LF/DH

Honestly, who cares what the team looks like the rest of the season?  Just keep running Engel out there.  These games are worthless and losses are more important than wins.  

Fine giving Cordell a look, and I'd rather see Leury start in CF than Engel.  But really, who cares?  This season is toast, and the Sox should be trying to get in contention for the #1 pick. 

I've said it many time, and I'll say it many more. Bringing up Eloy to play in this shitshow is STUPID STUPID STUPID, and I don't get why so many fans continue to call for him.  

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly, who cares what the team looks like the rest of the season?  Just keep running Engel out there.  These games are worthless and losses are more important than wins.  

Fine giving Cordell a look, and I'd rather see Leury start in CF than Engel.  But really, who cares?  This season is toast, and the Sox should be trying to get in contention for the #1 pick. 

I've said it many time, and I'll say it many more. Bringing up Eloy to play in this shitshow is STUPID STUPID STUPID, and I don't get why so many fans continue to call for him.  

I'd still rather give Leury more playing time than Engel. His shot should have ended in May but he got lucky with all the injuries. At this point it should be more important trying to get a feel as to what the Sox have in Cordell,Tilson,Leury than to keep trotting Engel out there.

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I'd still rather give Leury more playing time than Engel. His shot should have ended in May but he got lucky with all the injuries. At this point it should be more important trying to get a feel as to what the Sox have in Cordell,Tilson,Leury than to keep trotting Engel out there.

Won't get an arguement from me there.  I am all for trying out every fringey guy the Sox have.  Just prefer to keep the real prospects away from this dumpster fire and start fresh next season.