Rosenthal: Could Harper be headed to the southside

Sleepy Harold

That doesn’t say they’re out. It actually kind of proved my point. Let’s say Dodgers are willing to go 10-year, $300 million, but the Sox go 10-year, $350 million.

Would he take the lower offer to be on the better team, or take the best offer?

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt

1 hour ago, lasttriptotulsa said:

My God dude, give it a rest. You don't have a source.

1 hour ago, peavy44 said:

I do 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

On Facebook?

Why do you continue to ignore this simple yes/no question? You’re insufferable. 

Ok general in thread warning here - this discussion is falling apart and crossing the line into multiple personal attacks. We'll contact individual people as necessary right now but if all people are going to do is yell insults at each other we're going to consider this an appropriate reminder about the rules against personal insults at Soxtalk.com and suspend people who cross it without additional notes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

That doesn’t say they’re out. It actually kind of proved my point. Let’s say Dodgers are willing to go 10-year, $300 million, but the Sox go 10-year, $350 million.

It says right there they are hesitant give out big contract.

Edited by peavy44

If I'm his agent you go for the extra $50 million.  Ya never know when you might need that extra $50M.

Just now, fathom said:

From a luxury tax standpoint, isn't it harder for teams to manage short term, high AAV contracts because the AAV is what counts for the luxury tax?

Yes, however I figured bigger consideration was still being able to sign their in-home talent up for extensions and officially just bite bullet while contending and not later.

Do the Dodgers realistically have any big contracts they need to move before signing Harper, or is the bigger issue they just have a lot of outfielders that would need to be moved?

Depends on if they're willing to go well back into luxury tax territory. They were deep into tax paying until last year, now there's some comments that maybe they don't want a huge luxury tax bill again. They sign Harper, they're well back into tax territory.

6 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Do the Dodgers realistically have any big contracts they need to move before signing Harper, or is the bigger issue they just have a lot of outfielders that would need to be moved?

I think they want to get rid of 2 of their outfielders (Joc, Puig, Kemp, Taylor) and 2 of their starters (Hill, Wood, Maeda)

According to fangraphs Harper was the 34th best position player in baseball over the last three years.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=21,d&page=1_50

400 million seems like a lot for a guy ranked just ahead of Daniel Murphy.

21 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

If I'm his agent you go for the extra $50 million.  Ya never know when you might need that extra $50M.

The high income tax rate in California surely becomes a consideration on a mega deal like this as well. It's not just $50 million less per se. 

• bmags locked this topic