Jump to content
yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

The Hall of Fame is a sham until Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, and Sammy Sosa are admitted. 

It would also be great if they could somehow get rid of the early 20th century Klansmen who are in there

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It would also be great if they could somehow get rid of the early 20th century Klansmen who are in there

Disagree. The Hall should be about great baseball. Not sure who the explicit Klansmen were, but while guys like Anson, Cobb and others had terrible beliefs and, in many cases, were terrible citizens in myriad ways, they were great baseball players.

The group I want to exclude from the Hall is the one who injected themselves with all sorts of junk to produce the ridiculously fraudulent stat lines of the late 90s, early 00s. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, ARod, Ortiz, the earlier Manny, Sheffield, so on.

It might be again unpopular, but so far I've gotten my way on this one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

Next Up in the Shit Show Machado Thread: Hall of Fame Debate

We need something to do since it doesn't seem like Machado's signing any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Disagree. The Hall should be about great baseball. Not sure who the explicit Klansmen were, but while guys like Anson, Cobb and others had terrible beliefs and, in many cases, were terrible citizens in myriad ways, they were great baseball players.

The group I want to exclude from the Hall is the one who injected themselves with all sorts of junk to produce the ridiculously fraudulent stat lines of the late 90s, early 00s. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, ARod, Ortiz, the earlier Manny, Sheffield, so on.

It might be again unpopular, but so far I've gotten my way on this one.

Guys that cheated shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame.  It’s really that simple.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Pete Rose, yes. The other three, no.

Bonds is still absolutely a hall of famer. 0 debate about it. And Shoeless Joe should be on that list too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Guys that cheated shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame.  It’s really that simple.

Agreed. Which allows the racist assholes from 1910, and disallows the roid ragers of 1998.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Disagree. The Hall should be about great baseball. Not sure who the explicit Klansmen were, but while guys like Anson, Cobb and others had terrible beliefs and, in many cases, were terrible citizens in myriad ways, they were great baseball players.

The group I want to exclude from the Hall is the one who injected themselves with all sorts of junk to produce the ridiculously fraudulent stat lines of the late 90s, early 00s. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, ARod, Ortiz, the earlier Manny, Sheffield, so on.

It might be again unpopular, but so far I've gotten my way on this one.

I'd almost be willing to put Bonds, Sosa, ARod, Clemens, etc. in the Hall if baseball acknowledged the Steroid Era for what it was. If they dedicated a wing or whatever and stuck all these guys in there I think that would be acceptable. One giant asterisk. One way to look at it is - yes, they cheated - but they were the best in an era of baseball were a vast majority of the league was also cheating. I don't think they have any business being next to guys like Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, etc., but maybe acknowledge that that was one hell of an entertaining era (as much as I dislike those guys for cheating). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Bonds is still absolutely a hall of famer. 0 debate about it. And Shoeless Joe should be on that list too. 

Until 1999, absolutely. His numbers were insane. Even before 'roids, he was frightening to watch come to the plate. I loved watching him growing up. But he blew it, irrevocably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If this isn't wrapped up by SoxFest, I wonder how annoyed Hahn is going to be by all the Machado questions.

If SoxFest comes around and these whales are either still unsigned or one has signed elsewhere, I would be surprised if Hahn even honored the commitment to show up. And I wouldn't blame him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

If SoxFest comes around and these whales are either still unsigned or one has signed elsewhere, I would be surprised if Hahn even honored the commitment to show up. And I wouldn't blame him

I legit feel bad for Yonder if this is still up in the air.  And yes, soxfest will be a total mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Until 1999, absolutely. His numbers were insane. Even before 'roids, he was frightening to watch come to the plate. I loved watching him growing up. But he blew it, irrevocably.

That still shouldn't matter, but I digress. There's alot of Bonds supporters here in regards to his H.O.F. credentials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Guys that cheated shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame.  It’s really that simple.

So then everyone who did amphetamines before the steroid era should be out as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone been to the fan questions to management part of Soxfest? I was wondering how that goes about? Do you have to be selected to participate? Is it free with admission? How many people are allowed to participate? Etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone been to the fan questions to management part of Soxfest? I was wondering how that goes about? Do you have to be selected to participate? Is it free with admission? How many people are allowed to participate? Etc.

Starts with about 15 minutes of them talking and addressing things with the crowd. Then the last 30 min or so is all questions. You just line up behind a mic and ask. There’s no vetting.

Yes it’s free with admission.

Edited by Sockin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd almost be willing to put Bonds, Sosa, ARod, Clemens, etc. in the Hall if baseball acknowledged the Steroid Era for what it was. If they dedicated a wing or whatever and stuck all these guys in there I think that would be acceptable. One giant asterisk. One way to look at it is - yes, they cheated - but they were the best in an era of baseball were a vast majority of the league was also cheating. I don't think they have any business being next to guys like Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, etc., but maybe acknowledge that that was one hell of an entertaining era (as much as I dislike those guys for cheating). 

Frank wasn't cheating (I know you said "vast majority"). This is personal to me because Frank made me a White Sox fan when I was a little kid. For years, anytime I talk to anyone about what a great hitter he was, they all point to his imaginary "drop off". Sure, he dropped off from 1994, but 2003 Frank was still an AMAZING hitter. Sure, he could have hit .370 with 94 homeruns and 312 RBIs. But he didn't. He played naturally and went and hit .267 with 42 homeruns and 105 RBIs. And people treated it like he sucked then, because all the other declining superstars were shooting up and playing like deities. No. Hard PASS. Forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone been to the fan questions to management part of Soxfest? I was wondering how that goes about? Do you have to be selected to participate? Is it free with admission? How many people are allowed to participate? Etc.

They have a mic set up and depending on how busy it is usually they invite whoever to get in line. I've only attended the 'smaller' seminars. The main one with KW & Hahn is usually pretty crowded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sockin said:

Starts with about 15 minutes of them talking and addressing things with the crowd. Then the last 30 min or so is all questions. You just like up behind a mic and ask. There’s no vetting.

Yeah this won’t go well :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

It’s about time for a late night tweet

Here's one
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Frank wasn't cheating (I know you said "vast majority"). This is personal to me because Frank made me a White Sox fan when I was a little kid. For years, anytime I talk to anyone about what a great hitter he was, they all point to his imaginary "drop off". Sure, he dropped off from 1994, but 2003 Frank was still an AMAZING hitter. Sure, he could have hit .370 with 94 homeruns and 312 RBIs. But he didn't. He played naturally and went and hit .267 with 42 homeruns and 105 RBIs. And people treated it like he sucked then, because all the other declining superstars were shooting up and playing like deities. No. Hard PASS. Forever.

That in no way was directed at the Big Hurt. I have no clue why you would single him out of that statement. Frank's the whole reason I am a Sox fan as well, and I fully believe his stance that he was clean. But it is extremely naive to think that players of Bonds caliber were the only ones taking enhancements. Just because the stats were not as good, doesn't mean it happened. Look at some of the shitty players that get busted for them now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd almost be willing to put Bonds, Sosa, ARod, Clemens, etc. in the Hall if baseball acknowledged the Steroid Era for what it was. If they dedicated a wing or whatever and stuck all these guys in there I think that would be acceptable. One giant asterisk. One way to look at it is - yes, they cheated - but they were the best in an era of baseball were a vast majority of the league was also cheating. I don't think they have any business being next to guys like Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, etc., but maybe acknowledge that that was one hell of an entertaining era (as much as I dislike those guys for cheating). 

If you aint cheating, you aint trying

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×