Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

One might ask why the Phillies would not go ahead and make an offer above the rumored Sox bid. The answer could be that, realizing they will not win a bidding war with the Sox, they believe that it is in their best interest to not have Manny's contract be so expensive that it would negatively impact their negotiations with Harper. Whatever Manny gets, Boras will demand more for Harper. The less he gets, the more that helps the Phillies in their negotiations with Harper.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, OmarComing25 said:

Tim Anderson 1st half 2018: 40.6% O-Swing%, 71.3% Z-Swing%, 42.3% Zone%

Tim Anderson 2nd half 2018: 39.6% O-Swing%, 74.6% Z-Swing%, 43.2% Zone%

Going by those metrics his plate discipline actually slightly improved in the 2nd half, I'm guessing the 6% 1st half walk rate was just a circumstance of random luck rather than an actual change in approach.

Good stuff.  I was looking for those splits before I made my post, but couldn’t find them on Fangraphs.  Just seems crazy for it to be random luck, but honestly I have no other explanation so I’m sure you’re right.

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

One might ask why the Phillies would not go ahead and make an offer above the rumored Sox bid. The answer could be that, realizing they will not win a bidding war with the Sox, they believe that it is in their best interest to not have Manny's contract be so expensive that it would negatively impact their negotiations with Harper. Whatever Manny gets, Boras will demand more for Harper. The less he gets, the more that helps the Phillies in their negotiations with Harper.

There could be a bit of collusion.  

I won't bid crazy on Bryce if you don't bid crazy on Manny.

12 minutes ago, black jack said:

Yes, but it wouldn't even require collusion. Both teams must realize that it is not in each of their interests to recklessly bid on both players, when they think that they are only going to be able to afford one. If the Phillies have targeted Harper, and the Sox have their focus on Machado, it makes sense to not escalate the market value, for either one, as each player will compare his deal, with the other. It wouldn't be necessary to discuss this between them, as it would be inherently understood.

Edited by Lillian

8 minutes ago, black jack said:

Certainly can give that appearance. The writing is on the wall that both these teams chances of landing one or the other are extremely high - feels just like J.D. Martinez last offseason..

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good stuff.  I was looking for those splits before I made my post, but couldn’t find them on Fangraphs.  Just seems crazy for it to be random luck, but honestly I have no other explanation so I’m sure you’re right.

Yeah those splits weren’t on the player page so I had to go to the leaderboards and play with the filters there to find them. Does seem bizarre that it would be random, I was hoping to find something more definitive there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

I think Manny's post season is an easy scapegoat for an owner who just doesn't want to pony up what he's really worth. Manny Machado for 10 yrs 300 million and everything less than that is fair in my opinion.

Just because a few players have massive contracts doesn't mean that any player is worth that amount. Also, every team that signed those players have all been handicapped and regretted signing those high contracts, except maybe the Angles, who I have yet to hear or see anything publically that they regret it or have looked to trade him. Doesn't mean they don't though because look at his lack of production recently. 

Interestingly enough, the Angles were a mystery team for Pujols. 

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/31/16230242/albert-pujols-angels-contract-yeeps

6 hours ago, CBJ03 said:

Asked around. Looks like they are still trying to finalize times. Just heard opening ceremonies could be pushed to 4. I do know there will be a panel with Daryl Boston, Zach Collins, and Kopech. There will also be one with Cease, Madrigal, and the last name is escaping me at the moment. 

10 am on Saturday is when fans with balls get to ask Hahn some legitimate questions instead of some casual questions.

4 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Yeah this weekend there are going to be all sorts of craziness being reported. How many manny sightings do you think we will see/hear of 

We better get something this weekend based on what rabbit said the other day...

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres