Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

36 minutes ago, shipps said:

I’ve been saying that the Sox should at least be engaging with Harpers people publicly to gain leverage in the Manny negotiations. They can use that. Tell Manny they only have room to sign one and they are getting closer with Harper. They kind of blew the opportunity to do that when they signed all of Mannys boys to show their commitment to him. 

Interestingly, Hahn did mentioned yesterday that it doesn't make sense to sign both whales. I wondered if he was just speaking frankly, or if that was a message to one of them. Or maybe a little of both.

1 hour ago, tray said:

What do you make of the reported Hahn quote that Machado's agent has "not responded in kind." ?

I think the White Sox are at least entitled to a counter-proposal from Lozano given all of the effort that the organization has gone to in order to attract Manny and his family to Chicago.  If Lozano is just using the White Sox to leverage a higher offer, we will all be pissed off along with the White Sox ownership and management.

I understand the competitive bidding process, but at some point it can get abusive.

Lozano can just ask the teams still interested in Manny and that Manny would like to play for to submit their highest and best offer in x amount of time, then let him decide.  This isn't rocket science as they say.

Come on Manny for Chrissakes make a decision.  We will all but kiss your ass to play here.

In other words,  the Sox haven't been given a number at which Machado's team said they would sign.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In other words,  the Sox haven't been given a number at which Machado's team said they would sign.

Yep. And that’s why this has been described as very frustrating for Hahn. An that’s also why we shouldn’t just offer more to get this done, like some are suggesting. 

55 minutes ago, shipps said:

I’ve been saying that the Sox should at least be engaging with Harpers people publicly to gain leverage in the Manny negotiations. They can use that. Tell Manny they only have room to sign one and they are getting closer with Harper. They kind of blew the opportunity to do that when they signed all of Mannys boys to show their commitment to him. 

I believe that Hahn telling the media they won't land both is him getting ready to leverage this. I wouldn't be shocked if we learn that Harper and Sox have a meeting coming up should Manny not sign soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Probably stay the course of the rebuild and not add any pieces. Nothing else to really add. 

If we fail on Manny or Harper, I guess I would have to live with that and hope for the rebuild. There certainly should be some young talent that hopefully will be enjoyable to watch .

1 hour ago, tray said:

What do you make of the reported Hahn quote that Machado's agent has "not responded in kind." ?

I think the White Sox are at least entitled to a counter-proposal from Lozano given all of the effort that the organization has gone to in order to attract Manny and his family to Chicago.  If Lozano is just using the White Sox to leverage a higher offer, we will all be pissed off along with the White Sox ownership and management.

I understand the competitive bidding process, but at some point it can get abusive.

Lozano can just ask the teams still interested in Manny and that Manny would like to play for to submit their highest and best offer in x amount of time, then let him decide.  This isn't rocket science as they say.

Come on Manny for Chrissakes make a decision.  We will all but kiss your ass to play here.

I don’t think that was a Hahn quote, but more of an interpretation by the author of the article. 

Edited by Blackout Friday

I think we can be patient because it’s not like the season or even Spring Training has started.  What has Manny missed besides Sox Fest?  And Jay didn’t attend either.  He’s working out (w some Sox players) and doing his normal off season. 

I would wake up and go to bed every night feeling like the Sox have shown the most interest, have the top offer and will eventually sign Manny...unless you read otherwise from Rosethal or the like.  

2 hours ago, tray said:

That was not a Hahn quote, that was the reporters own comment and it is based off nothing other than the fact that Machado has not accepted the White Sox offer.

Edited by JuliusO1274
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I don’t think that was a Hahn quote, but more of an interpretation by the author of the article. 

Who knows what to believe... reports were also out that JR had a wonderful working relationship with Lozano.

Shrug.

12 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Realistically how much longer can this go on? Another month? Opening Day? Until all of us are in nursing homes?

I think spring training will cause things to accelerate.  That doesn’t mean this will end by the time players are supposed to report, but my guess is Machado will not want to miss a big chunk of camp.  If nothing else, it will force things to get a bit more serious.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2

I was all for Sox bidding against themselves but I’ve changed my tune to the Sox are better off staying the course. Lozano’s ultimate goal to squeeze every penny he can out of an org for his client.If the Sox would just Lay it on the table and offered 350/10 i think there’s 0% chance he accepts that offer right away and we’d probably still be waiting currently while Lozano seeks $400 mil from a couple “mystery teams”

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres