Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

yep, would much rather see him in CF than at 3B.

I think his tools profile much better in CF than at 3B.  Plus moving him there opens up 2B for Yolmer (and eventually Madrigal) & removes our weakest link in Engel, allowing us to put our optimal group of position players on the field.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think his tools profile much better in CF than at 3B.  Plus moving him there opens up 2B for Yolmer (and eventually Madrigal) & removes our weakest link in Engel, allowing us to put our optimal group of position players on the field.

Anything that includes Yolmer in the everyday lineup is not optimal.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yolmer is a nice utility guy.  He's not a regular.  Should be a platoon option at best.  He'd be awesome as a super sub if Manny comes.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Yolmer is a nice utility guy.  He's not a regular.  Should be a platoon option at best.  He'd be awesome as a super sub if Manny comes.

Exactly.  Yolmer is fine if pressed into duty for 2 weeks during a DL stint.  But he was exposed last year player everyday.  I'd rather give Rondon a chance at 3B or 2B next year if Machado goes elsewhere, or forwhatever reason we move Moncada to 3B (or CF, which I don't see happening). 

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  Yolmer is fine if pressed into duty for 2 weeks during a DL stint.  But he was exposed last year player everyday.  I'd rather give Rondon a chance at 3B or 2B next year if Machado goes elsewhere, or forwhatever reason we move Moncada to 3B (or CF, which I don't see happening). 

I’m talking about if we get Machado.  If we miss on him, I agree I’d rather give Rondon the at-bats than Yolmer.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

4th OF.

I guess my point is Yolmer is probably 1.5 win player with everyday at-bats, whereas Engel is replacement level.  Based on the parts we have today, replacing Engel with Yolmer is an upgrade.  I’d be open to a more substantial upgrade, but there is no question Engel is our worst starter and Yolmer our best guy currently off the bench.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess my point is Yolmer is probably 1.5 win player with everyday at-bats, whereas Engel is replacement level.  Based on the parts we have today, replacing Engel with Yolmer is an upgrade.  I’d be open to a more substantial upgrade, but there is no question Engel is our worst starter and Yolmer our best guy currently off the bench.

Yea one guy is a solid backup tolerable starter the other is a borderline MLB player.  If Engel's defensive improvement in the 2nd half wasn't a mirage then maybe he can stick in MLB but he's proven nothing except that Chicago has a really shitty 25 man.

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I asked the Shane guy strait forward if he was trolling or his source was wrong. He replied to me. Take it with a grain of salt but he’s sticking to his guns.

One would think that if Machado and the Sox were hypothetically moving towards finalizing a deal that there would be far more smoke?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I feel like things tend to go real quiet for us when we’re close on a deal.

Generally speaking? Yes.

But with a guy like Machado/Harper I feel the National media guys would be all over a scoop like that signing

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Id rather have LEURY THE GOAT in CF

Not even joking Leury is the better option. Leury has had a much better WAR with less games played the past 2 seasons yet somehow the consensus is that Engel is the best option because he makes a couple flashy catchers per year. 

• Like 1

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

Not even joking Leury is the better option. Leury has had a much better WAR with less games played the past 2 seasons yet somehow the consensus is that Engel is the best option because he makes a couple flashy catchers per year. 

Leury can't stay healthy enough to be a real option.

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

One would think that if Machado and the Sox were hypothetically moving towards finalizing a deal that there would be far more smoke?

Honestly there wasn't much smoke on colome, nova, Alonso, Herrera, or mccann. Just kinda out of the blue 

Just now, aeichhor said:

Honestly there wasn't much smoke on colome, nova, Alonso, Herrera, or mccann. Just kinda out of the blue 

Those are far more minor moves in the grand scheme of things though. Machado/Harper have the National beat guys all over their rumor mill

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres