2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

22 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I wonder if the lack of playing time in the minors until next year is modifying any of the teams strategy, specifically when discussing pitching vs position players.

They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they haven't at least researched it. My personal intrigue is with the effect on pitchers with taking so much time off. Will it save their arms or hurt them?

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they haven't at least researched it. My personal intrigue is with the effect on pitchers with taking so much time off. Will it save their arms or hurt them?

Yea, same here brother.

41 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I wonder if the lack of playing time in the minors until next year is modifying any of the teams strategy, specifically when discussing pitching vs position players.

I would hope with the knowledge that we would have a shortened spring training, that everyone is already working into game shape, even fringe guys who might be called on if the guys in front of them get hurt.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would hope with the knowledge that we would have a shortened spring training, that everyone is already working into game shape, even fringe guys who might be called on if the guys in front of them get hurt.

Well that is relating to 40 man roster types... where as my consideration is upon draft options who will have a longer than usually layoff from game activity.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I assume that's the case now, but who knows how many of these guys lacked any place to practice. 

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

Everyone wants BPA, the question is who that is.

It's not who it is but how to determine it that is the question. In your decision process is the athlete valued more than the current results, is the HS player more than the collegiate player? The philosophy of where to put more value on one all of time as opposed to setting a value for each independent player is the dilemma.

51 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Some day two targets:

RHP Kyle Nicolas

LHP Hugh Fisher 

LHP Magdiel Cotto 

RHP Carter Baulmer

SS Mac Horvath

OF MacKenzie Wainwright

OF Jace Bohrofen

OF Jesse Franklin

All of these guys sound pretty good to me based off BA reports. Particularly Cotto, Horvath and Baulmer. What's the knock on Horvath though? Contact issues?

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Horvath broke his leg as a sophmore playing football and lost a step and a year of development.  He's extremely physical and athletic.  He probably won't stay at SS but projects to have above avg power which will play at 3B or RF.  I really like him.

He certainly looks like a dude. His report is pretty glowing too.

Mac Horvath

IMG Academy, Bradenton, Fla.SS

Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 185 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: North Carolina
Age At Draft: 18.9

Expected to be the top prep bat in Minnesota, Horvath transferred to Bradenton, Fla.’s IMG Academy for his senior season, which was then quickly cut short. He missed time early last summer with appendicitis, then had an uneven summer when he returned. Horvath has above-average bat speed, plus speed and a plus arm (he’s touched 91-92 mph off the mound). He might slide to third base because he’s a little stiff at shortstop. A North Carolina signee, Horvath needs to refine his approach and make more consistent contact, but he has pro tools.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I was referencing Mick Abel. The White Sox are big fans of his. I think they'll take Detmers if he's available but Abel is a realistic option. He'll be expensive though. 

..... this pleases me. 

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This Angels thing really messed up my mock.  I'm really starting to think if he's there they're gonna take Abel.  

Is Abel the one rumored to not want to sign?