White Sox Winner!!

Chicago White Sox

The fact that Moncada and Anderson are leading the charge of this good play is very encouraging.  Giolito has had 1.5 good starts out of 3.  Lopez had a great start today and Rodon has been pretty good in all 3 of his.  Eloy doesn't look overmatched in his first 3+ weeks.  Also, the young guys seem to be having a lot of fun..Eloy fits in the clubhouse well.  Positive vibes.

Edited by BFirebird
  • Like 1

Other than the OF defense and some of the holes in the lineup not much to complain about tonight.  I thought Lopez had his best fastball of the year, or at least that I've watched.  Lively and moving at 94-96 most of the night.  Offspeed stuff off that was good enough to shut down a bad KC team. 

Moncada is playing with a tremendous amount of confidence in the field and at the plate.  He needs to bottle this feeling up and remember it when the inevitable slump hits.  He's got a lot of talent in that body, he should always remember it.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Dare I say the Sox might be competitive this year??? 

Competitive against other shitty teams, sure.

I have no doubt they'll be able to get some wins the next couple weeks. 

They'll still be drafting in the 4 to 7 range in 2020 though. 

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don't think you guys are giving the pitching enough credit. Rodon, Lopez and Giolito are talented pitchers, and could put it all together at any time. Nova is a fine #4-5. Even the bullpen has talented pitchers. Despite their starts, Fry and Jones still have good stuff. Cease is on the way. They were all top 40 prospects at one point, with Rodon and Giolito once top 25. 

Have they done anything individually or as a group yet? No, but they're all young and extremely talented. Rodon is 26, Lopez is 25 and Giolito is 24. This could all come together really quickly. Not out of the question. If they go on a win binge vs. shitty teams and start believing in themselves, it could give them the confidence to get. Is it likely that it happens? Not really, but it isn't impossible. 

Lost in the weeds is that Giolito, while still struggling with command, has his fastball almost all of the way back to where it was as the top pitching prospect in the game.  It might actually return completely once he gets comfortable with his new motion, which would be a huge development. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think you guys are giving the pitching enough credit. Rodon, Lopez and Giolito are talented pitchers, and could put it all together at any time. Nova is a fine #4-5. Even the bullpen has talented pitchers. Despite their starts, Fry and Jones still have good stuff. Cease is on the way. 

Like I said a couple days ago, with Machado, Joc, and a legit SP (instead of Santana) this team could have made a run at this shitty divison.  Unfortunately that didn’t happen and we just have too many holes to realistically land a playoff spot.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Like I said a couple days ago, with Machado, Joc, and a legit SP (instead of Santana) this team could have made a run at this shitty divison.  Unfortunately that didn’t happen and we just have too many holes to realistically land a playoff spot.

Not even looking to win the division, just approach or exceed .500. They don't have enough to win more than 80-83 games. 

@Balta1701 strongly disagreed with me last week but this version of the White Sox is the 2013/2014 Cubs. Chance to be very competitive in 2020 with a strong offseason and contention window should open in 2021 regardless.The signs are there whether people want to open their eyes to them or not I don’t know. 

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

@Balta1701 strongly disagreed with me last week but this version of the White Sox is the 2013/2014 Cubs. Chance to be very competitive in 2020 with a strong offseason and contention window should open in 2021 regardless.The signs are there whether people want to open their eyes to them or not I don’t know. 

Still need about 15 WAR to show up on the pitching side of things.   Going to need Cease and Kopech + at least 3-5 more pitchers, the failed starters will turn into solid bullpen guys hopefully.  

The Sox have proven they are cheap and won't add talent via FA and pay the "winner's curse".  So we need to hope like shit the pitching pans out.   And an outfielder or two.

29 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Still need about 15 WAR to show up on the pitching side of things.   Going to need Cease and Kopech + at least 3-5 more pitchers, the failed starters will turn into solid bullpen guys hopefully.  

The Sox have proven they are cheap and won't add talent via FA and pay the "winner's curse".  So we need to hope like shit the pitching pans out.   And an outfielder or two.

I am genuinely interested to see if the White Sox pay for pitching when they're close.  

1 hour ago, flavum said:

The New York Yankees aren’t really a shitty team. The Sox flat out outplayed them and their talent last weekend. Yes they’re without Stanton, but they still have a good team. 

The jury is out on the 2019 White Sox, IMO. They could be a 75-80 win team of things start really clicking or they could be a 65-72 win team if things go backwards again soon.

one thing’s for sure - we shouldn’t be hearing any more talk after the last five games about how “historically bad” they will be this season 

55 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

The New York Yankees aren’t really a shitty team. The Sox flat out outplayed them and their talent last weekend. Yes they’re without Stanton, but they still have a good team. 

The jury is out on the 2019 White Sox, IMO. They could be a 75-80 win team of things start really clicking or they could be a 65-72 win team if things go backwards again soon.

one thing’s for sure - we shouldn’t be hearing any more talk after the last five games about how “historically bad” they will be this season 

The Yankess have 12 starters on the DL, a little more than just Stanton.  Their DL roster is better than what they have on the field lol..

Edited by BackDoorBreach

What a fun game to watch.  Lopez looked really good, his best start of the season.  If he can keep it up, things look a lot better for the team.  Moncada is a beast.  He looks so confident out there, and he's absolutely killing the baseball right now.  Leury looked good; let's hope he can stay healthy.  He could put up some good numbers.  Yonder somehow got four hits and was a triple away from the cycle.  What was impressive was him taking the ball to left field a couple times.  I know he's not a great hitter, but he's not a .180 hitter either.

I think it's time to send Palka down.  He's not seeing the ball and maybe needs to work on his swing in AAA.  I'd rather see Delmonico or Cordell right now.

This team is still not ready to compete.  They need Lopez to do what he did last night every time he pitches, and they need Giolito to look more like the guy from his first start.  That will help.  That and one more solid SP will make this team interesting in the shitty AL Central.  Personally I'm loving the wins, but I'm watching individual performances of the future more.