5/16 Games

BigHurt3515

7 hours ago, The Sir said:

Hmm. I'd take the guy with the better health history and the longer track record of destroying the minors. Rodgers has done this consistently for almost four seasons now. Robert has done it for 32 games. He should spend the rest of the season at Birmingham, stay healthy, and, assuming his trends hold true, start at Charlotte next year, with an eye toward an MLB debut in September 2020.

BUZZKILL

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Flythesock said:

Even if not he’s got to be number one. Imagine if madrigal (polished as heck hitter, discerning, rarely strikes out, quick wheels) were four years younger, was much stronger, was a switch hitter, had more raw power, and could play SS. That’s wander franco. For Robert to pass him he’d have to do at double and triple-A what he did at Winston Salem. 

Is there any doubt that Robert wouldn’t do in AAA what he did at Winston Salem earlier this year? In that park with that ball? Robert has hit at every level (including Spring Training) with the exception of last year in WS when he was playing with a busted hand. The guy is an absolute beast. 

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Wouldn't mind seeing him in MLB soon. He now has 13 total starts in AA with great numbers at age 24, and there's a need at the MLB level. I would like to see him promoted to AAA after this start and, if he does well enough, join the MLB rotation in the second half of the year 

The Sox could theoretically rock out something like this by the All-Star break if they wanted to get crazy:

1. Moncada#, 3B
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Collins*, DH
  6. McCann, C
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Garcia#, RF
  9. Dickman, 2B
  • IF: Sanchez#
  • OF: Tilson*
  • BC: Castillo
  1. Giolito
  2. Lopez
  3. Cease
  4. Lambert
  5. Nova
  • CL: Colome
  • SU: Hererra
  • SU: Fry*
  • MR: Burr
  • MR: Hamilton
  • MR: Bummer*
  • MR: Marshall
  • LR: Banuelos*

That team would at least be far more interesting to watch and potentially way better.

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox could theoretically rock out something like this by the All-Star break if they wanted to get crazy:

1. Moncada#, 3B
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Collins*, DH
  6. McCann, C
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Garcia#, RF
  9. Dickman, 2B
  1. Giolito
  2. Lopez
  3. Cease
  4. Lambert
  5. Nova

That team would at least be far more interesting to watch and potentially way better.

And none of that is super crazy either.  

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada#, 3B
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Collins*, DH
  6. McCann, C
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Garcia#, RF
  9. Dickman, 2B
  1. Giolito
  2. Lopez
  3. Cease
  4. Lambert
  5. Nova

Everyone knows what I'm a proponent of, but if we're gonna just throw caution to the wind and say "fuck it", can we at least bat Robert higher? Let Anderson hit 7th, and put Robert in the two hole so he can get as many at-bats as possible.

Id like reports on how people view Lambert's command at this point, if he can only command one pitch and then gets by with poor discipline from AA hitters I'd prefer he stay down. If he can command at least 2 pitches at this point consistently then I don't have a problem moving him aggressively at this point.

Surprisingly little discussion of Madrigal's bomb here. I was ready to be disappointed when I saw it on video but I was actually surprised he could hit a low liner out of the park like that.

32 minutes ago, Jake said:

Surprisingly little discussion of Madrigal's bomb here. I was ready to be disappointed when I saw it on video but I was actually surprised he could hit a low liner out of the park like that.

It was a rope. I imagine most of his homers at this point in his career will look something like that.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada#, 3B
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Collins*, DH
  6. McCann, C
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Garcia#, RF
  9. Dickman, 2B
  1. Giolito
  2. Lopez
  3. Cease
  4. Lambert
  5. Nova

Fuck it, let’s get really crazy and sign Keuchel and Kimbrel and make a second half playoff push. 👍

19 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It was a rope. I imagine most of his homers at this point in his career will look something like that.

They will have to be.  MAYBE at some point in his career he will get enough muscle to hit a few fly ball out at US Cellular field, especially in the summer with juiced balls, but I agree most will be line drives.

9 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Theres no way the Sox should be eyeing a Sept 2020 call-up for Robert if hes healthy. Move over up 12 months in the very least.

Sorry Luis I know you've you've been making everyone else look bad in the minors for a calendar year, but we need to keep you down until september for....reasons

2 hours ago, mqr said:

Sorry Luis I know you've you've been making everyone else look bad in the minors for a calendar year, but we need to keep you down until september for....reasons

I know the Eloy situation was frustrating from a patience perspective, but there's no way Robert would be able to reach that level. Eloy entered 2018 with 18 games at a .956 OPS in AA under his belt. Robert didn't reach AA until May of this year. Even if he mashes in Birmingham, they're probably going to give him at least two months there. That would mean he would have only two months left in the season in AAA. There's nothing outrageous about having a guy spend two months at a level. Honestly, September is a reasonable best-case scenario target if the White Sox don't want play the service time game.

5 minutes ago, danman31 said:

I know the Eloy situation was frustrating from a patience perspective, but there's no way Robert would be able to reach that level. Eloy entered 2018 with 18 games at a .956 OPS in AA under his belt. Robert didn't reach AA until May of this year. Even if he mashes in Birmingham, they're probably going to give him at least two months there. That would mean he would have only two months left in the season in AAA. There's nothing outrageous about having a guy spend two months at a level. Honestly, September is a reasonable best-case scenario target if the White Sox don't want play the service time game.

I’m talking about September 2020 being absurd. If he spends a brief time in 2020 in the minors then so be it, but September 2020 would tell you something bad happened at this point, not what they should be aiming for like the poster we replied to said.

The end of 2020 would have been reasonable before this year, but Luis has greatly shortened the timeline. 

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

I’m talking about September 2020 being absurd. If he spends a brief time in 2020 in the minors then so be it, but September 2020 would tell you something bad happened at this point, not what they should be aiming for like the poster we replied to said.

The end of 2020 would have been reasonable before this year, but Luis has greatly shortened the timeline. 

Oh yeah, I had a hard time understanding that previous post ha. It looks like service time will dictate when Robert comes up more than anything else. I'm honestly starting to believe he will end up being a more valuable player than Eloy too. Solid defender, plus speed. He will be valuable to the team without destroying the ball. Eloy is a much more well-rounded hitter, but Robert is a much more well-rounded player. Very cool to have both.

48 minutes ago, danman31 said:

It all depends on exactly how much he "mashes". A 180 wRC+ in AA (his current mark)? Sure, I guess I could see them keeping him there until mid-July.

But if he raises that OPS above 1.1 and the wRC+ into the deep 200s? At that point, you're dealing with a guy who you almost have to promote to AAA, at least. The situation isn't even that unlikely, IMO. 

1 hour ago, danman31 said:

Oh yeah, I had a hard time understanding that previous post ha. It looks like service time will dictate when Robert comes up more than anything else. I'm honestly starting to believe he will end up being a more valuable player than Eloy too. Solid defender, plus speed. He will be valuable to the team without destroying the ball. Eloy is a much more well-rounded hitter, but Robert is a much more well-rounded player. Very cool to have both.

Robert will be the Toews and Jimenez will be the Patrick Kane.

What do we actually expect though?

Hard part is I don't expect Roberts obp to be that high. I would be very happy first few years if he can be in the .250/.310/.500 range.

But if he is only getting .220 out he's gonna have to slug really high.

Robert is going to be a transformational star if he stays healthy.  Eloy will win a batting title and regularly contend for batting titles.  People don't appreciate just how good those two guys are.  The beauty of Robert is he'll also be very valuable in the field.  IF they are healthy I don't see anything getting in the way of either of those prognosis.  Moncada will be a, at worse, well above average guy, and given his OBP capabilities, power and ability to field, he too could be Robert (albeit, I put better odds on Robert because I think he is more elite defensively). 

The fact that you also have Tim Anderson, in addition to those players, gives me a lot of hope because that is four guys who are very valuable. I won't comment on McCann and whether he can maintain, but he looks like a starting catcher. 

I am more optimistic on the Sox than most, but I actually think this year has gone way better than expectations, even though Rodon and some other prospects have struggled.  I can't project out Collins and others because I could see them working out but I could also just see someone like Collin's bat speed not being enough and him just being a lousy player (who if he is stuck at 1B just doesn't play).  Madrigal I see being a league average guy at worse, because I think he'll do enough little things that play and if the hit tool comes around (like it can) he becomes one of those sneaky good players (who is probably always underrated by metrics) but when you surround him with the other guys I mentioned, great.

And than there is Tillson, Rutherford, Cordell, etc.   

The big wildcard to me is the rotation as I have no idea how that could go. While Rodon is injured, Lopez and Gio have flashed ability to be middle of the rotation guys (they could also be too inconsistent and end up not either).  I doubt either is a top of the rotation guy, but it could happen, this year will tell us a lot more (imo).  The key to me is how good Cease and Kopech are as they both could be aces, but that is a major questionmark and then you need to find depth around them (cause pitchers get hurt).  I don't know if they'll end up having the elite pitching which might require them to trade for it and/or get it via free agency (and that is hard to do).  But in this league, the most important part of making the playoffs is having a good lineup (which I think they are well on their way to doing) and a deep rotation filled with a number of quality guys (they don't have to be great, but depth is huge as it will enable you to win a lot of games surrounded by a good lineup).

That same depth might not put you over the top in the playoffs, but the first step is getting into the post-season regularly. At that point you need to be hot and having front of the rotation aces who can win games on their own becomes key in increasing your chances at ultimate success.  

• Like 3

Just to clarify my post shouldn't serve to be a debbie downer, I'm just talking about immediate impact. I think he's such a beast he can transform upon being challenged but just wouldn't be surprised if he is in that chris young/mike cameron mold early on, so he'll need to make sure he gets enough contact for power.

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just to clarify my post shouldn't serve to be a debbie downer, I'm just talking about immediate impact. I think he's such a beast he can transform upon being challenged but just wouldn't be surprised if he is in that chris young/mike cameron mold early on, so he'll need to make sure he gets enough contact for power.

I think his career path is going to look a lot like Moncada's

20 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Lenyn Sosa may be figuring it out. Came into tonights game with a .320/.370/.440/.810 line in his last 7 games. Wound up 2-4 tonight. 

Thought the same thing as well, good to see

20 hours ago, SoxAce said:

ROBERT BOMB.

Can't wait to see him in ChiTown

19 hours ago, mqr said:

He’s going to fly up the prospect boards. Pipeline already bumped him to 18

Hopefully bumped to Chicago by September

19 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Lambert

6 IP 7 H 2 R 1 ER 2 BB 11 SO

Filth, hell of a start

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada#, 3B
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Collins*, DH
  6. McCann, C
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Garcia#, RF
  9. Dickman, 2B
  1. Giolito
  2. Lopez
  3. Cease
  4. Lambert
  5. Nova

Does this dream team come with an upgrade at manager?

Schryver off to a strong 2019 in BIR

Yermin Mercedes may be 26 but is bat is pretty damn nice

Rivera seems to be handling AA better and better

Luis Martinez looking nice out the pen

Sousa and Perez doing well at KAN

Hopefully Beltre builds off his last game

Fulmer, Hamilton, and Vieria all with nice outings