Sign in to follow this  
smalls2598

Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

Good use of waivers, crazy that guy didn't pan out to more. Not optimistic that a player that couldn't work at Houston in 2019 is going to be a sudden piece.

He appears to be Palka 2.0 slightly younger and can actually play 1B from the scouting reports.  Good swap just a few years ago he was an actual top prospect 1/50 he finds something in Chicago and you get a good player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Also WTF are they going to do with Collins now?

Give him 4 ABs a week in the majors, duh.

• Like 1

He was the #38 prospect in baseball per MLB.com in 2016. For a waiver claim, nothing to complain about. 

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Give him 4 ABs a week in the majors, duh.

If Jose get 100% of his ABs at DH the rest of the way that would be ideal but you know it won't happen.

Heh.. this was a guy whose name came up a bunch in trade talks on this board once upon a time for Quintana. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Reed was assigned to Triple-A. I'd bet on Wely coming off the IL after the break and Collins getting a bulk of the DH at bats.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Guy was a top prospect just a few short years ago. Nothing to lose here, if he pans out it gives the Sox more options / flexibility.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Reed was assigned to Triple-A. I'd bet on Wely coming off the IL after the break and Collins getting a bulk of the DH at bats.

Yea it seems like this guy might get some burn in September when rosters expand otherwise he's just org depth in AAA for now.  According to MLBTradeRumors if he's not on the 25 man next April he goes back on waivers so Sox will have to evaluate him rather quickly.  Not that it's  likely to matter.

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have a really bad feeling the reason Collins was brought up was so he can learn as much as possible about the big league game from James McCann before he's traded at the deadline.  I obviously hope I'm wrong but I can't think of another logical reason for why he has been handled the way he has.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have a really bad feeling the reason Collins was brought up was so he can learn as much as possible about the big league game from James McCann before he's traded at the deadline.  I obviously hope I'm wrong but I can't think of another logical reason for why he has been handled the way he has.  

...why would the sox care about him learning from McCann if they are trading him? This is a bit of a non-sequiter 

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

...why would the sox care about him learning from McCann if they are trading him? This is a bit of a non-sequiter 

I think he means have Collins learn from McCann before McCann is traded at the deadline. 

Just now, BaseballNick said:

I think he means have Collins learn from McCann before McCann is traded at the deadline. 

Thaaaaaaat makes more sense. Still not likely the case

• Like 1

This is a you never know move. Remember him being big time prospect. Weird both of the 2 stros1b prospects bombed out

Some poster here called for this claim and got ripped for it.  Hahn will take a shot on anyone who was a former top prospect and is still youngish and rightfully so.  Nothing to really lose.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Some poster here called for this claim and got ripped for it.  Hahn will take a shot on anyone who was a former top prospect and is still youngish and rightfully so.  Nothing to really lose.

I would file this under the ever growing pile of sure why not. I'm hoping that file becomes obsolete in the near future. 

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I would file this under the ever growing pile of sure why not. I'm hoping that file becomes obsolete in the near future. 

I believe the issue is that this guy has a massive hole in his swing but who cares.  If he sucks, he can go the way of Conor Gillespie’s brother Casey, playing in the independent league.

Maybe he can get hotter than shit at Charlotte and fill in at DH next year as a stop-gap until Vaughn is ready (assuming Abreu is extended).  Very doubtful but worth a shot.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

54 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He was the #38 prospect in baseball per MLB.com in 2016. For a waiver claim, nothing to complain about. 

He was as high as #11 on Baseball America’s list in 2016.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

He'll probably put up good numbers at charlotte, considering everyone from Paulo Orlando to Matt Skole have OPS over .900. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I believe the issue is that this guy has a massive hole in his swing but who cares.  If he sucks, he can go the way of Conor Gillespie’s brother Casey, playing in the independent league.

Maybe he can get hotter than shit at Charlotte and fill in at DH next year as a stop-gap until Vaughn is ready (assuming Abreu is extended).  Very doubtful but worth a shot.

Screw that. The Sox should be spending some big $$$ this offseason on impact talent for 2020 and beyond. Guys like Reed, Palka, Castillo, Tilson, Jay, Cordell better not be taking up 40 man roster spots next year. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Heh.. this was a guy whose name came up a bunch in trade talks on this board once upon a time for Quintana. 

To be fair, Reed was the favorite wild card third piece along with garrett stubbs. I don't believe either flete or rose are even in the org anymore either.

43 minutes ago, BaseballNick said:

There might be a mutiny.