Sox claim 1b A.J. Reed off waivers AND send him to majors

smalls2598

4 hours ago, oldsox said:

I just don't get the Reed acquisition.  We cut Alonso for obvious reasons.  Vaughn is waiting in the wings, developing.  Jose is solid in the mean time.  Collins, who needs activity, is there to fill in.  So we pick up Reed, and my wheels are spinning, metaphorically.

He's the DH. Jose is the first baseman. Maybe DH Jose 1 time a week. Collins is odd man out when Beef returns I guess. Personally I'd release Beef and reluctantly have Collins get the Ron Karkovice treatment (early in his career when he had to back Fisk forever).

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder if Hahn is going to trade Abreu and Reed will be the first baseman. I hope this doesn't happen. I want Abreu here for the next few years.

Not that I think he will get traded, but they could re-sign him in the off-season if they wanted to.

2 hours ago, Richie said:

No, being a part time player is not an excuse for looking like a beer league softball all-star who won a contest and got a chance to play in the big leagues. 

I'm not saying Reed will amount to anything, but I wouldn't dismiss him solely for the reason that he's fat.

Look at Pablo Sandival of the Giants. Always been fat.  He's 5'11 and 268 lbs.  At age 32, he's batting .288 with 11 HR's and 33 RBI's thus far and plays an acceptable 3B.  Not spectacular numbers, but OK. 

7 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

I'm not saying Reed will amount to anything, but I wouldn't dismiss him solely for the reason that he's fat.

Look at Pablo Sandival of the Giants. Always been fat.  He's 5'11 and 268 lbs.  At age 32, he's batting .288 with 11 HR's and 33 RBI's thus far and plays an acceptable 3B.  Not spectacular numbers, but OK. 

I was honestly surprised at how Collins looked the first time I saw him in an MLB game this year. From what you read about him, you would think he was a lot fatter when he really isn't that big.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 hours ago, Richie said:

I know that there's exceptions for rebuilds and I get the argument for giving Collins AB's. However, to an extent, you have to earn those AB's with the big league club. Or else they're going to be given to someone else in the form of an opportunity. Which is what's happening with Reed. Collins hasn't just looked bad outside of his one HR, he's looked totally overmatched and out of his league. 

Yep. I don't see much of a future for Collins with the White Sox organization. If he isn't good enough to give at bats to during a tank year then he is most likely not in the Sox long term plans. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol this place cracks me up.

Collins looks completely overmatched. In his ABs he has as many hits as Palka while looking substantially worse in the process. 

He has 1 hit and 5 BB in 27 PA, with 12 K. So far he is striking out in 44% of his PA. 

Palka had a 34 K% for comparison, in 52 PA. 

They are both, at best, equally bad with an argument for Collins to be worse. Collins looks worse at the plate than Palka. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Collins looks completely overmatched. In his ABs he has as many hits as Palka while looking substantially worse in the process. 

He has 1 hit and 5 BB in 27 PA, with 12 K. So far he is striking out in 44% of his PA. 

They are both, at best, equally bad with an argument for Collins to be worse. Collins looks worse at the plate than Palka. 

Ventura started his career 0 for 45 or something like that. This with consistent playing time. 

Its tough for a young player to do well with inconsistent playing time.  It's not a good sign but I wouldn't write him off yet.

1 hour ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. I don't see much of a future for Collins with the White Sox organization. If he isn't good enough to give at bats to during a tank year then he is most likely not in the Sox long term plans. 

Dude.  Cmon.  He had irregular ABs.  And 22 of them.  

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He is also 24 and was in his first taste of MLB baseball and didn't get a chance to get in a rhythm at all.  This is completely bonkers. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Dude only plays once or twice a week. He needs at bats to adjust and get acclimated. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cool. It's been like 30 at bats spread out over 4 weeks.

The reason for all this negativity is that Zack's minor league offensive stats never really jumped out at you, other than a high walk rate, which inflated his OPS.  He'll get more opportunities somewhere.

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Ventura started his career 0 for 45 or something like that. This with consistent playing time. 

Its tough for a young player to do well with inconsistent playing time.  It's not a good sign but I wouldn't write him off yet.

He’s also learning about the pitching staff he’s caught very little of.  The reality is a catcher’s defense always lags behind his offense at first.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:59 PM, Dick Allen said:

In about 15 ABs it will either be wtf were they thinking claiming this guy, or buy out his arb years.

I will give him two games to lay down a nice bunt or it's off to the Iron Pigs. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Um, when has a high walk inflating an OPS ever been bad?

Never, as far as I know.  I just don't think his high minor league walk rate translates to the majors.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Also hasn't been playing consistently. Hard to get going at the MLB level when you play every few days