Luis Robert

Panerista

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's going to need at least a half season to adjust to MLB pitching. We've seen it with all of our position prospects. It took Moncada a year and a half, and Eloy a half season, so I'm expecting somewhere in between those two. 

If I expected Robert to come up and rake it would be one thing. I don't want him to be a black hole offensively for at least half of 2020. That's the argument for calling him up on 8/1. 

You realize development isn't linear right? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Eh, there’s just so many more layers to it than this.  Everyone gets this.  

How do you balance:

Club financial flexibility

Necessary MLB seasoning

Team chemistry

PR and fan interest

Employee morale 

Rewarding somebody when they earn something...or fallout from NOT rewarding the player   

How potential FA perceive your club based on the above.  

There are probably 100 more factors that go into it

The system in place is the system we work with.  Need to mutually agree on a fair compromise extension and your a major leaguer overnight.  Don't think you can blame White Sox management for this one.  

50 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Of course.  I'm expecting him to take longer than Jimenez to adjust. The fact that Jimenez didn't come in and rake immediately makes me think that Robert is going to be closer to Moncada than Eloy. It wouldn't shock me if Robert comes up and sucks. I actually expect that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Of course.  I'm expecting him to take longer than Jimenez to adjust. The fact that Jimenez didn't come in and rake immediately makes me think that Robert is going to be closer to Moncada than Eloy. It wouldn't shock me if Robert comes up and sucks. I actually expect that. 

I don't understand why so many fans hate the idea of him coming up August 1st. He gets to struggle for two months, get better in the offseason and has a chance to help us win in 2020. To be honest, we shouldn't even be worried about 2026 right now when we have 6 years of hopefully quality baseball coming up. Something we haven't seen since the early 1900s. 2026 will still be good if our FO proves to be savvy and our owners continues to spend money. Let's not throw 2020 out the window for 2026 when both can be convention years. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

That's true. But good players do get better as time progresses and as they get more MLB at bats. Two months and an offseason/spring training is a very good way of getting a young guy acclimated to the game. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't understand why so many fans hate the idea of him coming up August 1st. He gets to struggle for two months, get better in the offseason and has a chance to help us win in 2020. To be honest, we shouldn't even be worried about 2026 right now when we have 6 years of hopefully quality baseball coming up. Something we haven't seen since the early 1900s. 2026 will still be good if our FO proves to be savvy and our owners continues to spend money. Let's not throw 2020 out the window for 2026 when both can be convention years. 

Wonderful post and my thoughts exactly

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No reason to post this Jack, we all know you’ll automatically expect the worst.

No, not true anymore. I just think it is an unrealistic assumption to think he's not going to struggle out of the gate. I thought Eloy would come up and just start raking but he didn't either. A half season of adjustments is reasonable for even the most polished minor league hitters. Idk what's negative about that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

By my count, the Padres have now brought up SEVEN (Morejon for the first time and Urias again) milb Top 100 prospects this season, irrespective of service time/extensions or whether they could realistically compete for a wild card.

They’re also pursuing Syndergaard, Bauer and Stroman...

Great for the Padres man. Not sure what they have to do with the discussion at hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wonderful post and my thoughts exactly

This was my philosophy with Jimenez and I got many smiley faces due to the overwhelming idea of it hurting his service time.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This was my philosophy with Jimenez and I got many smiley faces due to the overwhelming idea of it hurting his service time.

I wanted Eloy up last year too, but at least that was more defensible because it was pretty clear 2019 wasn't going to be a competitive team.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Eloy signed an extension.  The storyline would repeat itself it Robert signs an extension as well.  These are the circumstances of the rules currently in place.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Jimenez was different because nobody was performing in 2018. They had a core group of zero in August 2018. They have a core group of four in August 2019. Huge difference. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Eloy doesn't have the talent of Robert. He has a much longer swing and slower hands too. 

The reason it took Moncada longer to adjust is because he has such an advanced approach. I think Robert will be much more aggressive at the plate, but won't have the same strike zone mastery as Moncada. To use a White Sox comparison, Moncada is more Thomas and Robert is more Belle. I think Eloy is somewhere in the middle, but he's not nearly as physically gifted as the other two. Robert and Moncada are physical specimens with tools across the board. 

Regardless, Robert's timetable for adjustment has absolutely nothing to do with Moncada or Eloy or any other player that's played MLB. 

• Like 1

Also, for those using Kris Bryant as an example, that is an interesting situation. The Cubs probably win that one close loss they had if Bryant was called up the year before. In the old playoff format, the Cubs would not have made the playoffs in 2015 as they were one game behind Pitt for the first wild card. Because of the two wild cards, they were able to extend their season. Had they won one more game with Bryant being up, they would have hosted Pitt in that one game wild card instead of going on the road. The Cubs season also started against St Louis that year, the team that edged the Cubs and Pirates out for the division. If the Cubs win that 3-2 loss, and that second game against the Cards, (2-0 loss) they'd have won the division instead of being the second wild card. I know this is a lot of ifs but my point is baseball standings get real tight and not having Robert and Magical for two weeks can turn a contention year into another sit at home year. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

It's strange that both Hahn and Robert can't agree on a short extension for the actual value of the two months this year and the first few weeks of next years season.  Actuaries could tell you within a few dollars the actual value of that time.  When both parties want the same objective a compromise should be easy to reach.

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It's strange that both Hahn and Robert can't agree on a short extension for the actual value of the two months this year and the first few weeks of next years season.  Actuaries could tell you within a few dollars the actual value of that time.  When both parties want the same objective a compromise should be easy to reach.

Robert already got $26 million guaranteed from the Sox, much more than first round draft picks.  He has no incentive to sign a contract until he he a free agent.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, SonofaRoache said:

This has been beaten to death, but the additional season of prime Robert control is too important to waste on a non-competitive season. The front office has to both manage the short, medium and long term outlook of the club. Robert has the potential to be a star, you absolutely need to gain the additional year of control. 

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Robert already got $26 million guaranteed from the Sox, much more than first round draft picks.  He has no incentive to sign a contract until he he a free agent.

I think the poster means a deal where he can come up this year, and we would have him for 7 years becoming a free agent the same year as he would if he came up mid-April 2020. He might sacrifice some money by avoiding arbitration though.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

I think the poster means a deal where he can come up this year, and we would have him for 7 years becoming a free agent the same year as he would if he came up mid-April 2020.

I read it again and I think that is what he means.  But when does this ever happen?

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I read it again and I think that is what he means.  But when does this ever happen?

Honestly, probably never.

But it would be sick if they somehow announced an 8-year deal (first year being pro-rated this year).

Obviously, not expecting that.

Edited by soxfan2014