Sign in to follow this  
Sockin

Reinsdorf assures Ron that Abreu will always be a White Sox

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just so someone points this out, he is hitting .352/.381/.620 for those ABs.

Boy...you don't know what to believe when everybody uses facts to make their point.

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/abreujo02.shtml

Can someone explain why Jose's OPS is identical in 2016 and 2019, but he has a 124 OPS+ in 2016 and a 114+ OPS in 2019 despite better cumulative stats (except walks)? Can that all be park factor differential????

League wide offense is way up from 2016.

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/abreujo02.shtml

Can someone explain why Jose's OPS is identical in 2016 and 2019, but he has a 124 OPS+ in 2016 and a 114+ OPS in 2019 despite better cumulative stats (except walks)? Can that all be park factor differential????

His OBP has dropped dramatically and being on base is more valuable for generating runs than slugging. OPS treats them equally by just adding; any system scaled to how productive you are cares about 1 point of OBP more than 1 point of slugging. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

His OBP has dropped dramatically and being on base is more valuable for generating runs than slugging. OPS treats them equally by just adding; any system scaled to how productive you are cares about 1 point of OBP more than 1 point of slugging. 

So it values walks more than xbh's? 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

So it values walks more than xbh's? 

No because an extra base hit counts for both. If you had the same amount of walks and more extra base hits your OBP would go up also. 

Basically, getting on base (home to first) is more valuable than going from first to second on your own because someone else can move you from first to home once you're on base. If you're on first base or on 2nd base, you score on a home run no matter how slow you are, but if you're out, you don't score. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This has nothing to do with it.

The league, in general, has a higher OPS this year than it did in 2016 so when it normalizes, Jose is less better than league average than he was in 2016.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

League wide offense is way up from 2016.

I believe that's it.  While his stat line is roughly the same, the league-wide numbers are way up, which impacts OPS+.  

post his sensational rookie year, Abreu's cumulative line is .288/.342/.499/.841

this year's line is .282/.325/.495/.820

his career BABIP is .326

this year's BABIP is .315

last year's BABIP was .294 (and he was injured)

So has he really declined from his 2015-2017 self in 2018-2019?

I think the answer currently is a resounding "Nope."

Edited by Greg Hibbard

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This has nothing to do with it.

The league, in general, has a higher OPS this year than it did in 2016 so when it normalizes, Jose is less better than league average than he was in 2016.

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No. OPS+ has nothing to do with valuing one more than the other.

wOBA does.

This is my understanding and here is the proof:

https://touchemalljoe.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/slugging-ops-and-ops/

“The calculation for OPS+ is shown below.  One important thing to note when calculating OPS+ is to be sure that the league averages for OBP and SLG are also park adjusted before plugging them into the formula.

ops.png?w=300&h=40

The main issue with OPS+ is the same problem that OPS has.  It treats OBP and SLG as equally important, when in reality OBP is about 1.7 times more important.”

On 9/3/2019 at 12:26 PM, Greg Hibbard said:

post his sensational rookie year, Abreu's cumulative line is .288/.342/.499/.841

this year's line is .282/.325/.495/.820

his career BABIP is .326

this year's BABIP is .315

last year's BABIP was .294 (and he was injured)

So has he really declined from his 2015-2017 self in 2018-2019?

I think the answer currently is a resounding "Nope."

Oops we Abreu backers have to cower. He's hitless again tonight. I think it's two games in a row after his hot sizz. Of course nobody praised him for all those multi hit games in August.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Oops we Abreu backers have to cower. He's hitless again tonight. I think it's two games in a row after his hot sizz. Of course nobody praised him for all those multi hit games in August.

This did not age well.

• Haha 1

Two hits; two more RBI, another HR. This man is having a sensational age 32 season. He turns 33 at end of January.

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Two hits; two more RBI, another HR. This man is having a sensational age 32 season. He turns 33 at end of January.

The reaction in the game thread when Jose hit the HR was priceless. No one typing .... JOSE !!! Just a few comments about that guy who starts all the Abreu threads. Funny thing is people are now agreeing with him and taking Jose for granted. If his strtegy was to bomard us with crap about Abreu until he showed even the slightest decline it's worked . Because he is a bad fielder any drop off in offensive production, no matter how slight, people are talking about him now as if he sucks.

But if you praise him you have to also say that not scoring on the great catch by Mercado with the bases loaded and 1 out was just plain inexcusable and added more fuel to the fire.

43 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The reaction in the game thread when Jose hit the HR was priceless. No one typing .... JOSE !!! Just a few comments about that guy who starts all the Abreu threads. Funny thing is people are now agreeing with him and taking Jose for granted. If his strtegy was to bomard us with crap about Abreu until he showed even the slightest decline it's worked . Because he is a bad fielder any drop off in offensive production, no matter how slight, people are talking about him now as if he sucks.

But if you praise him you have to also say that not scoring on the great catch by Mercado with the bases loaded and 1 out was just plain inexcusable and added more fuel to the fire.

That's right you schmohawk. Don't dare type my name. 

A few folks on this board: Jose sucks and should be shot out a cannon to Mars

A few folks on this board: Jose is literally a god in a baseball uniform, and I have a shrine to him in my garage

Most of us on this board: Jose is a pretty good hitter, and less than average fielder, and he'd be a nice option at DH for a couple years

There.  If you haven't read this thread yet, don't waste your time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

A few folks on this board: Jose is literally a god in a baseball uniform, and I have a shrine to him in my garage

Most of us on this board: Jose is a pretty good hitter, and less than average fielder, and he'd be a nice option at DH for a couple years

Thank you time for this thread to be put to sleep.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yep. Can one of the mods take it out back and shoot it please?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Agreed. The thread title is completely and utterly disrespectful towards me. Close this pile of crap down 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

White Sox FO: Nah, we signing him to play 1B until 2024 at an AAV of 15 million.

That's the worry from the 3rd camp.