Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kitekrazy

So excited for the new season

Recommended Posts

 They'll win 60/lose 60 and RIcky will probably lose another 20.

Winning the Central will be hard but I'm more interested in how the individuals will do. I think that will depend on a few players having breakout seasons.

Maybe it's me bit it seems the FA market was quite diluted among teams this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

 They'll win 60/lose 60 and RIcky will probably lose another 20.

Winning the Central will be hard but I'm more interested in how the individuals will do. I think that will depend on a few players having breakout seasons.

Maybe it's me bit it seems the FA market was quite diluted among teams this year.

And 22 ties. 

I don't think a manager can single-handedly lose 20 games.

I just watched the 2005 World Series Film last night. Ozzie said "I don't believe in good managers. If you don't have good players, you won't win. If you don't have the right horses, it doesn't matter how good of a rider you are, you won't win the Kentucky Derby." 

Of course, I'm paraphrasing, because, well, Ozzie Guillen.

While I don't agree 100% with Ozzie that there aren't good managers out there (because, why even have managers if they don't matter), I don't think Ricky can be 100% judged on his managerial skills until he has the right tools to be able to win. He hasn't gotten that chance yet.

 Just like no one can judge or grade this rebuild until it is completed and we see what kind of fruit it bares.

Let's see how Renteria adjusts his managerial style to his players' strengths this year. It will definitely be a test, in my opinion, to see if he really is the right man to lead this rebuilding team to contention and eventually championshipS.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t like Renteria as a manager, but he’s had terrible cards his entire time with us. Trying to fill five positions with some combination of Alonso, Yolmer, Engel, Cordell, Castillo, and Tilson is like using makeup to conceal a direct hit from a 12 gauge. Let’s see what he can do with an actual competent MLB roster.

Now, the minute Eloy bunts or some Ryan Goins equivalent starts twice in one week without a significant injury, then flame away.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

 They'll win 60/lose 60 and RIcky will probably lose another 20.

Winning the Central will be hard but I'm more interested in how the individuals will do. I think that will depend on a few players having breakout seasons.

Maybe it's me bit it seems the FA market was quite diluted among teams this year.

Which are the 22 games left I should watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

A manager loses 20 games on his own?

Under the new rules, do managers also have to pitch to 3 batters?  That might do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And 22 ties. 

I don't think a manager can single-handedly lose 20 games.

I just watched the 2005 World Series Film last night. Ozzie said "I don't believe in good managers. If you don't have good players, you won't win. If you don't have the right horses, it doesn't matter how good of a rider you are, you won't win the Kentucky Derby." 

Of course, I'm paraphrasing, because, well, Ozzie Guillen.

While I don't agree 100% with Ozzie that there aren't good managers out there (because, why even have managers if they don't matter), I don't think Ricky can be 100% judged on his managerial skills until he has the right tools to be able to win. He hasn't gotten that chance yet.

 Just like no one can judge or grade this rebuild until it is completed and we see what kind of fruit it bares.

Let's see how Renteria adjusts his managerial style to his players' strengths this year. It will definitely be a test, in my opinion, to see if he really is the right man to lead this rebuilding team to contention and eventually championshipS.

I'm with Ozzie for the most part. 

All managers suck to a degree. If a manager sticks around more than 1-2 years in a contention window, they'll be hated by the fanbase by the end of year 3. Look no further than Joe Maddon. That guy won a WS with the north side team, and their fans couldn't wait to fire him. MLB managing is the definition of the tallest midget contest. 

Same with Ozzie. Most wanted him gone after 09. 

There's always something to nitpick and complain about. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm with Ozzie for the most part. 

All managers suck to a degree. If a manager sticks around more than 1-2 years in a contention window, they'll be hated by the fanbase by the end of year 3. Look no further than Joe Maddon. That guy won a WS with the north side team, and their fans couldn't wait to fire him. MLB managing is the definition of the tallest midget contest. 

Same with Ozzie. Most wanted him gone after 09. 

There's always something to nitpick and complain about. 

It didn't take nitpicking to want Ozzie gone after 09.  Ozzie was working overtime to be a pain in the ass.  His kids were the last straw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poppysox said:

It didn't take nitpicking to want Ozzie gone after 09.  Ozzie was working overtime to be a pain in the ass.  His kids were the last straw.

Yeah.....but Ozzie>>>Ricky AINEC. 

I was definitely one of those that wanted Ozzie gone after 09. He's still the best manager they've had in 25 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lane said:

Now, the minute Eloy bunts or some Ryan Goins equivalent starts twice in one week without a significant injury, then flame away.

Can't wait to see (our best player) Moncada bunting again like last year. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it seems like it was Christmas not too long ago, that was 46 days ago. Opening Day is in 46 days! Bring on warmer weather.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 days is way too far out.

I live a couple of hours away from KC and am planning on going to 7-9 games to watch the Sox play. Last year I went to 0 games. Thats how excited I am! If anyone is going to those let me know

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

 

Moncada, Engel, Madrigal and Mazara also in camp.  Chomping at the bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Dude just gets it.

Easy guy to root for hope he can play a little better defense this year.  He seems to be a very streaky defender.  If he can avoid the couple months that seem to give him problems and not just bottom out like previously he'll be a league average defensive SS and with his skill at the plate that's more than fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited to see Kopech and Madrigal very much even if it won't be right away.

Super excited to see Robert , You keep hearing about the speed, power and fielding and the stats back it all up. Just to throw a little tidbit out there; Robert was the 1st minor leaguer since 1961 who was 30/30 (HR's and Stolen bases) +300 Total bases.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Excited to see Kopech and Madrigal very much even if it won't be right away.

Super excited to see Robert , You keep hearing about the speed, power and fielding and the stats back it all up. Just to throw a little tidbit out there; Robert was the 1st minor leaguer since 1961 who was 30/30 (HR's and Stolen bases) +300 Total bases.

That seems to qualify as a "big" tidbit.☺️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Excited to see Kopech and Madrigal very much even if it won't be right away.

Super excited to see Robert , You keep hearing about the speed, power and fielding and the stats back it all up. Just to throw a little tidbit out there; Robert was the 1st minor leaguer since 1961 who was 30/30 (HR's and Stolen bases) +300 Total bases.

First 30/30 season since Joc Pederson 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 4:17 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

 

 This is down the street from me.  Too bad a quarry is in the way.  Hopefully they allow visitors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But who was the guy an 1961 who also had the 300+ total bases ?

Jose Cardenal I believe. If I remember correctly first time I heard it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BFirebird said:

Jose Cardenal I believe. If I remember correctly first time I heard it. 

Very good. Had a long career . Most of his good years with the Cubs .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 12:51 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Very good. Had a long career . Most of his good years with the Cubs .

Also pretty popular as a Cub too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×