2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

6 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

After graduations of Kopech, Crochet, Vaughn, Madrigal, and Heuer, White Sox are dead last. Not surprising.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2021-in-season-prospect-list/farm-ranking?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team=

I feel a lot better about our future here seeing the number of lower level kids off to good runs.

• Like 2

I’d prefer to take bednar or wicks if they fall in first round, then go high school hitter with upside in round two. If all the high end college starters are gone, then go high school hitters in first two rounds. Big night tomorrow to start rebuilding our prospects. 

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Meh. Back of the rotation guy. Slight chance to be middle of the rotation. Strike thrower does it clean and easy.  Decent breaking ball.  Not the direction I would go. It's going to depend how the board plays out but I think this is who they end up with. 

That would be disappointing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think they’ll end up with Max Muncy. If they take a college pitcher, the scouting department got overruled. I know that much. 

Just saw your mock. I really would be happy here, though the only pick I’d dislike is Mack (of rumored guys, del Castillo would make me gag).

I haven’t done any research, but gut feeling is some of the best picks have been grabbing those “all around good but no standout skill” prep shortstops in the twenties.

I still like Gavin Williams too. 1a is still Montgomery for me.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just saw your mock. I really would be happy here, though the only pick I’d dislike is Mack (of rumored guys, del Castillo would make me gag).

I haven’t done any research, but gut feeling is some of the best picks have been grabbing those “all around good but no standout skill” prep shortstops in the twenties.

I still like Gavin Williams too. 1a is still Montgomery for me.

Mack is very good but such a low hit rate on prep catchers is scary. Muncy is a Boras guy so that’s an important note in regards to money at that slot. I’ve heard Gavin Williams medicals are questionable. Doubling up on preps makes most sense to me. There’s lots of college talent to be had later on. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Mack is very good but such a low hit rate on prep catchers is scary. Muncy is a Boras guy so that’s an important note in regards to money at that slot. I’ve heard Gavin Williams medicals are questionable. Doubling up on preps makes most sense to me. There’s lots of college talent to be had later on. 

Sad on Williams but good stuff.

Funny on Jobe. It was so clear in Feb that guy had a writeup much stronger than anyone else in the 20s/30s. Low and behold he’s now rumored a possibility at 3 to the Mets.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A safe college pitcher would suck so fucking much and make me question what in the hell we’re doing.

Just remember how this board turned against the safe Detmers, he found velocity in a pro program and is now striking out 17 batters per 9 in AA.

McGreevey isn’t Kyle McCullough 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just remember how this board turned against the safe Detmers, he found velocity in a pro program and is now striking out 17 batters per 9 in AA.

McGreevey isn’t Kyle McCullough 

That’s fair, although didn’t Detmers have significantly better results in college?  Either way, I still think a prep SS makes so much more sense given where our system is at now and how teams currently value prospects.  If the right college arm slipped I wouldn’t be against taking him at 22, but my understanding is this draft is super deep in prep SS’s and if we could somehow double-up with two of them in rounds 1 & 2 I think that’s a total coup for a system in desperate need of young up-the-middle talent.

Final Mock:

22: Gunnar Hoglund, RHP, Ole Miss
57: Chase Petty, RHP, NJHS
94: Steven Hajjar, LHP, Michigan
124: Pierce Coppola, LHP, NJHS
154: JT Schwartz, 1B, UCLA 
184: Kevin Abel, RHP, Oregon State
214: Kevin Kopps, RHP, Arkansas

Day 3: RHP Luke Smith, Louisville, RHP Antonio Menendez, Wake Forest, LHP Jake Mulholland, Oregon State, RHP Steve Schoch, UVA