8-19 GT: Tigers @ Sox

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

If Moncada was able to stay in the game last night, I would have to believe he's able to play tonight

Not necessarily. Many time the muscle soreness is worse the next day. It will be based purely on symptoms today.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not necessarily. Many time the muscle soreness is worse the next day. It will be based purely on symptoms today.

That's fair. If that's the case, would you say that it might have been foolish/short-sighted to keep him in for the 9th in a blowout instead of putting in Cuthbert?

15 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

That's fair. If that's the case, would you say that it might have been foolish/short-sighted to keep him in for the 9th in a blowout instead of putting in Cuthbert?

No. If he wasn't too sore yesterday he can stay in. There is no real way to predict how sore he would be today with a mild strain, zinger or whatever you want to call it. It's not really an injury but you don't want to continue to run him out there being sore. So you just see how he feels each day. I bet he spent time after the game in the ice bath.

35 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Because people don't think

Because people DO think. RH on the mound,Grandal out, day game tomorrow,  has caught Dunning before and also I seem to remember Dunning saying Collins has improved a lot and liked how he called a game.

Also if that Clinton Cole tweet is right and Collins is catching then it seems to me you weren't the one thinking.

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s amazing how any controversial happening or loss is a total indictment of Ricky, but any wins or personal growth people STFU or fish around for ways it happened DESPITE Ricky.  

Let the hate flow through you!

Tonight's game thread is going to be priceless !

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada is always sore. Guy is great but he's a bit of a pretty boy; not that I wouldn't be if I were him lol

Anderson, Moncada, and Robert will always have those nagging injuries. We need to be prepared for this and sign versatile players accordingly. I know we joke about this but I wouldn't mind Anderson learning to play the outfield. I'm sure his range and catching ability would be fine out there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s amazing how any controversial happening or loss is a total indictment of Ricky, but any wins or personal growth people STFU or fish around for ways it happened DESPITE Ricky.  

Stop the presses! I agree with Jerksticks for once.

What I will say is Renteria is a terrible game-day manager. It's hard to argue he's misused the bullpen given their numbers though, and I don't know shit about the locker room to ever criticize a lineup decision.

That tweet by Tim Anderson yesterday said everything you need to know about Rick Renteria and why his players love him:

https://twitter.com/TimAnderson7/status/1295736401720414209?s=20

I don't want to get too caught up in it because it was the first time in my basebal life that a manager took the side of the opposing manager over his own guy, but the Sox love Renteria and it's because he always has their back. Every single day, and he allows them to speak their mind.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Anderson, Moncada, and Robert will always have those nagging injuries. We need to be prepared for this and sign versatile players accordingly. I know we joke about this but I wouldn't mind Anderson learning to play the outfield. I'm sure his range and catching ability would be fine out there. 

Anderson misses games because he's on the IL though; Moncada misses games because he's sore. There's a big difference. 

14 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Well, I see your point. The problem with Ricky is that there are too many bad moments for him. A shitty AAA player can come up and bat .230 for a team and hit home runs. See Palka and Delmomico. The thing is, the bad moments outweigh the good, especially when compared to the average player. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Anderson misses games because he's on the IL though; Moncada misses games because he's sore. There's a big difference. 

My point is they both miss games. We need to be prepared for the three that I named to have frustrating nagging injuries. Whether it is soreness or ankle sprains. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What I will say is Renteria is a terrible game-day manager. It's hard to argue he's misused the bullpen given their numbers though, and I don't know shit about the locker room to ever criticize a lineup decision.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well, I see your point. The problem with Ricky is that there are too many bad moments for him. A shitty AAA player can come up and bat .230 for a team and hit home runs. See Palka and Delmomico. The thing is, the bad moments outweigh the good, especially when compared to the average player. 

Normally, one way to balance this out is "wins and losses". If your team keeps insisting that they're competitive and they can't even come close to .500 and every year you're calling a disappointment...That's telling you something about the balance of things. We don't know why some guys are making calls behind the scenes, maybe Detweiler accidentally ran over Anderson's dog or something like that.

Unfortunately, this is a hard season to use W-L for any sort of evaluation, because everything is such a mess. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

My point is they both miss games. We need to be prepared for the three that I named to have frustrating nagging injuries. Whether it is soreness or ankle sprains. 

I know Leury probably won't be here after this year, but if your bench next year had Leury, Engel, and Mendick on it, then you're in pretty decent shape on depth to give guys offdays when needed. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Normally, one way to balance this out is "wins and losses". If your team keeps insisting that they're competitive and they can't even come close to .500 and every year you're calling a disappointment...That's telling you something about the balance of things. We don't know why some guys are making calls behind the scenes, maybe Detweiler accidentally ran over Anderson's dog or something like that.

Unfortunately, this is a hard season to use W-L for any sort of evaluation, because everything is such a mess. 

I usually evaluate managers based on how their players receive them and interact with them. All the other stuff is just icing on the cake. 

I certainly don't think managers win or lose anywhere near as many games as some here do. If you read game threads, more than half the losses are Rick's fault and not the players who didn't execute.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That tweet by Tim Anderson yesterday said everything you need to know about Rick Renteria and why his players love him:

https://twitter.com/TimAnderson7/status/1295736401720414209?s=20

I don't want to get too caught up in it because it was the first time in my basebal life that a manager took the side of the opposing manager over his own guy, but the Sox love Renteria and it's because he always has their back. Every single day, and he allows them to speak their mind.

TA’s right here.  Absolutely ridiculous his manager wont support tatis here.  Maybe he’ll demand a trade back to the white sox!

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know Leury probably won't be here after this year, but if your bench next year had Leury, Engel, and Mendick on it, then you're in pretty decent shape on depth to give guys offdays when needed. 

Didn't Leury sign an extension for an additional season last offseason?

Just now, ChiSox1917 said:

TA’s right here.  Absolutely ridiculous his manager wont support tatis here.  Maybe he’ll demand a trade back to the white sox!

I've never seen something like it in my life to be honest. Hosmer telling the other team he'll tell Tatis he was wrong to. What an embarrassment both TIngler and Hosmer are; Tatis should have laughed in both their faces.

Tingler tried to backtrack off his comments yesterday after he took all the heat. If I played for him, I'd never listen to a word he had to say ever again. The ONLY thing I ever expected from my coaches was to have my back publicly. 

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic