Thread of positivity

Orlando

2 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Wow I think this guy needs some positivity right now. 😂

It doesn't even make sense either. Does he know which Sox team he is tweeting about? Red Sox -> Dead Sox, ok that is clever, but this is the White Sox.

Should have gone with the White Flag Sox, or maybe the Fright Sox? Plight Sox. Oh! The Not Quite Sox!

• Love 1

On 9/23/2020 at 12:54 AM, soulfly said:

I absolutely loved Joe Crede.  Man, how I still wish he never had back issues.  It's such a sad what if.  Also, just hearing Hawk on those calls, so great.  What I wouldn't give to still have that same enthusiasm today.  Those home run calls with Hawk and DJ screaming YES are the best there ever was.  Instead we get pitch pipes for fucking insurance commercials from the booth.  Ugh.  I don't mind Steve and Jason, but Hawks calls are sorely missed.

I can only imagine how much fun Hawk would be having with this team. Like you, enjoy Jason but it's really a shame Hawk didn't get to make it through the rebuild as well. Even senile Hawk would be fun to have with this team.

7 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I can only imagine how much fun Hawk would be having with this team. Like you, enjoy Jason but it's really a shame Hawk didn't get to make it through the rebuild as well. Even senile Hawk would be fun to have with this team.

I would seriously consider donating one of my testicles to hear Hawk cal that Indians game a couple days ago with Angel Hernandez behind the plate.

49 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I would seriously consider donating one of my testicles to hear Hawk cal that Indians game a couple days ago with Angel Hernandez behind the plate.

I would rather have him for a playoff game walk off win on a home run to the bleachers.  Hearing him scream, way back, you can put it on the board, YES!  Instead of whatever it is that Jason says 12 seconds after the ball literally left the ballpark.  But yes, you know he would have gone ballistic against Angel in that game.  lol.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yes we did expect to make the playoffs. A week ago we expected to win the division before the Cubs series. 

Coming into the season? I think most of us expected to make the playoffs...once they were expanded. Had it only been 4 teams per league I think a lot of people would have said we're a step away from that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Coming into the season? I think most of us expected to make the playoffs...once they were expanded. Had it only been 4 teams per league I think a lot of people would have said we're a step away from that. 

My point exactly. If this would have been a full season most people were saying 84 to 86 wins and on the out skirts of the postseason. With many positives going into 21

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Which still may be the case by Sunday night. It is possible that we would not qualify for the real playoff format. The thread made about pre season predictions here shows that we are about were fans thought. After this offseason, many people thought we could take the Central if breaks went our way. A few years back, 2020 was the season we expected to take over the division.

But again, that argument is always weak. What we thought before the season means nothing. Minnesota fans probably didn't think they'd win more than 100 games last year, but they still aren't happy with how their season ended. Expectations change based on current circumstances. 

14 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

My point exactly. If this would have been a full season most people were saying 84 to 86 wins and on the out skirts of the postseason. With many positives going into 21

That's because people were afraid to think big and go against pundits. Most of us wanted the division this year and believed it was possible after our offseason. But again, expectations change based on current circumstances. Cubs fans didn't expect the NLCS in 2015 but the disappointment of being swept by the Mets stung. None of my Cubs friends used anything about arriving a year earlier or not expecting to be that good as a crutch to downplay a disappointing end. 

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That's because people were afraid to think big and go against pundits. Most of us wanted the division this year and believed it was possible after our offseason. But again, expectations change based on current circumstances. Cubs fans didn't expect the NLCS in 2015 but the disappointment of being swept by the Mets stung. None of my Cubs friends used anything about arriving a year earlier or not expecting to be that good as a crutch to downplay a disappointing end. 

With good reason! The Twins and Indians looked like and still look like strong competitors. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

With good reason! The Twins and Indians looked like and still look like strong competitors. 

True. But I think in our hearts we probably wanted to go 90. Our overall roster was just as good as those two coming into this season. I believed the Twins would regress somewhat and the Tribe's offense was below average. Wins speaking, I would have guessed 97 for Twins and 90 for Indians and Sox. Depending on player development and regression of Twins, that gap could narrow further. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

True. But I think in our hearts we probably wanted to go 90. Our overall roster was just as good as those two coming into this season. I believed the Twins would regress somewhat and the Tribe's offense was below average. Wins speaking, I would have guessed 97 for Twins and 90 for Indians and Sox. Depending on player development and regression of Twins, that gap could narrow further. 

Here's the preseason poll on wins/losses from smarch. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/topic/109069-your-2020-season-expectations/&page=1

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

"Wanted to", and actually believed are two very important distinctions here.  I wanted the Sox to win 110, realistically I believed them to be a mid-80s level team, and having seen about 55 games so far, I honestly think that we would fall pretty close to that, maybe into the 86 or 87 range over 162 games.  This team still needs to get starting pitching figured out to move to the higher level, as well as playing cleaner IQ baseball games.  I do fully believe that if they figure out more starting depth, along with the baseball IQ part, the potential is there for a mid to high 90s type team a year or two down the road, but asking that of a team with still some decent holes in it is a big ask.

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Based on that thread, we are where most fans here thought we'd be. Competitive wire to wire with an expectation of the playoffs. We have a shot to win the division as most expected for this season. That was also before we knew the amount of games played and against whom. This being said, last week we were up 3.5 and really 4.5 after the tiebreaker. We are down now. 

On 9/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, greg775 said:

He only has 139 followers. Is he real?

He used to post here Gregory . Long time Sox historian type guy . Has 4 decade long broadcasting career. Wrote a lot on the WSI site. Resume is pretty extensive in broadcast journalism. But known for being pretty jaded.

Oh one more thing . He went to your High School. Brother Rice alumni.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1