Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, The Hawk said:

I said nothing of the kind. I like to stand and sing the national anthem. Most Americans do also. It is tradition and has been considered a wonderful way to bring people together. I guess some people want to stop this from happening and make up lies about the people who enjoy the anthem. It is people like you that just cannot stop b****ing and moaning about other people being happy and proud of their country and its accomplishments. 

This has nothing to do with this moronic move of hiring an ancient fvkc as manager.

NO offense, but it may be best to go wank off to the flag issue elsewhere. And I say this as a Vet speaking to a Vet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

And obviously this can change but the players and others in the organization aren't happy about this either at the moment, this isn't just a fans thing.  From Fegan's article: "But Sox players who spoke to The Athletic ranged from cautiously open-minded, to dismissive and derisive in their reaction to the hiring."   Nobody is happy about this.

Ugh.... this is the worst news.

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

That would have been celebrated across baseball and the fanbase. It's so infuriatingly stupid that Jerry is trying to atone for Hawk's sins of decades past that he wouldn't even do a full managerial search.

In a perfect world, Rick Hahn would resign, Ken Harrelson would be hired to replace him and Hawk would fire Tony LaRussa on June 19, 2021, 35 years to the day he last fired him.

The fact that it would be on Juneteenth would be icing on the cake.

Tim Anderson, benched multiple times throughout the 2021 season for transgressions such as hitting a grand slam on a 3-0 count with a six run lead, flipping his bat after a game winning home run, and stating his support for the thirteenth and fourteenth amendment to the US Constitution, flips his bat over the roof to celebrate and the team joins him. Sadly, Eloy Jimenez tears his ACL during the celebration and is lost for the season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, yesterday333 said:

Ugh.... this is the worst news.

Yeah it makes you wonder if they didn’t even talk to Anderson, Giolito, etc before the selection to get on the same page.  Considering this was a done deal for a few days, it’s ridiculous that Tony didn’t reach out to some guys.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is all amazing. Thank you for defining observation for all of us.

Unless Tony Larussa eyes are a literal fffing computer, he doesn't practice observational analytics.

Analytics is the systematic computational analysis of statistics/data. So unless Tony is robocop and I didnt know it, it's a made up word and complete nonsense basically claiming youre smarter than information and process images like a computer. 

Its something someone who has no idea what analyticts really is would say. But you already told us how analytically tony was so obviously hes fooled you.

If you changed his phrase to "observational analysis" it would be 100% correct. You are nitpicking over a word. Tony has always used data. He said yesterday that "information is king." 

Plus, as someone above wrote, if analytics were all there were to managing, IBM Watson should manage. It's not. Tony has more experience at managing a club, a season, a pitching staff, a series, and a game than anyone else out there, working or not. 

You also denigrate the power of the human mind. 

Now, there's no guarantee LaRussa is going to work out. But his track record should have earned him more respect than is being accorded him by you and a lot of others here. 

Tony LaRussa is no "idiot" and you demean yourself by calling him one. 

3 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I remember that too.  The following season Jimmy had a role on the White Sox post game show and Reinsdorf had him fired from that after Jimmy criticized some of La Russa's in game moves after a frustrating White Sox loss.

I loved Jimmy Piersall and despise Jerry Reinsdorf. 

Me too:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

“Dumbfounded” according to Passan from what he heard from the players. This is a disaster so far.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30220736/why-tony-la-russa-sincerely-curious-choice-white-sox-manager?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Also mentions that players are having a tough time getting past his comments on protests. So that's great

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

It would be embarrassing if TLR didn't stick up for his players on that one.   Calling all the Sox players' wives "horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security, and they wanted a big, strong ballplayer" showed how pathetic Piersall could be.  He also enjoyed trash talking Bill Veeck's wife.  IIRC, Piersall whined about the fact that TLR confronted him, since Piersall had a bad heart.  Tough guy attacking women on TV, then can't take the confrontation he caused.

Valid criticisms, but that was not the reason LaRussa confronted Piersall, it was his on point criticism of LaRussa’s in game management.

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Are you suggesting the players should pick the manager? 

No but typically the owners dont get involved in hiring managers by calling up retired friends and say he bud lets go.  Maybe we can have the entire Dallas Cowboys style here and just have JR become Owner/GM because obviously that makes sense.

Edited by southsideirish71

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox should still make the playoffs with Tony at the helm. There is a minuscule chance of a mutiny like when Bobby V took over in Boston.

Besides not being a fan of his managing 34 years ago, my problem with it is the Sox had an opportunity  of a lifetime. How many teams in their situation have a managerial opening?  They probably had their choice of anyone available. They didn’t even interview everyone available. Why not hire a guy who you can see managing this team through their window? LaRussa is here 2 years tops. You could sense the disappointment in RH yesterday. He tried to be a good soldier and sell the company line, but his heart wasn’t in it.

Basically, I agree with you. I never liked LaRussa, primarily for his role in the entire steroid farce. And I also believe that if they had hired Alomar, the White SOx could have really shown the world what an enlightened management could do to turn its entire organization around in what I would say was the "RIGHT WAY".  Now, I think that they have taken a step back by hiring Tony who I think is a good and smart manager but not a good person who will do everything and anything to win. NOw, in a starved White Sox community, that should be enough but it won't be as enjoyable to me.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Are you suggesting the players should pick the manager? 

No but getting your new manager with the face of your franchise on the same page goes a long way.  I wouldn’t blame Timmy for being pissed if he found out about this at the same time we did.  The silence from the players supports my opinion.

• Like 3

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic