2020 NBA Regular Season Thread

bmags

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

@Chisoxfn

Markkanen's last few games made you change your mind at all? He's had 30 pts 2 games in a row. 

Not really - but he has been much better this season. Part of this might be on bulls but he doesn’t play with enough swagger most of the time. He is so skilled inside - nice to see him do a lot more of that vs just being a stretch. 

Fun win - held on in the end. Bad team but still a win. Lauri defense has been better though.

There should probably be a separate category for idiotic/drunken athlete-baiting social media attention seekers...see Atlanta Karen vs. LeBron last night.  Seems whatever is in the Florida water is migrating north.  Thankfully, that’s one thing that rarely happens in baseball, unless it’s Little League parents and coaches.

https://sports.yahoo.com/maskless-heckler-ejected-after-yelling-at-le-bron-james-during-hawks-lakers-game-042135156.html

Could also go into the Covid-19 thread, lol...

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

@Chisoxfn

Markkanen's last few games made you change your mind at all? He's had 30 pts 2 games in a row. 

I'll elaborate a bit more though - cause Lauri is a HIGHLY skilled big man. This season his athleticism has looked much better - that isn't to say good - cause he just isn'ts uper athletic, but last year he looked like he was running in cement.  I also will note that as the season has gone on, despite last nights quite 2nd half - we have seen him show up a bit more in the 2nd half (for the first half of this season - he was completely getting no useage/not showing up in 2nd half).

I also will point out - despite Coby White hitting that big 3 late in the game - around the 5 minute market he had to straight positions that were straight up garbage.  And I know Lavine has these type of posessions as do guys like Harden/Durant, etc - but Coby White does not belong in the same conversation as these guys. 

One of the possession - White has the ball with about 14 seconds on the clock - decides not to swing it to Lauri - who has space or over to the other side of course to Thaddus (or I think it was Thaddeus) - both of whom would have had the ability to create a bit and get the defense moving. Instead - White held the ball for 14 seconds - continued to opt not to make a pass (and guys were there) to jack up a 2 (black hole #1 example). 

Very next posession - White turns the ball over trying to drive into I don't know where. You might say - good for White - he's being aggressiev - but he had Lauri screaming for the ball (which you never see). Why was Lauri screaming - well he was open for a 3 and than he had a switch on him which was appropriately identified where Lauri went down and had a guy half a foot smaller guarding him. White literally looks at him and just shrugs it off into full blown hero ball.  The problem with White - beyond just his turnovers - he has so many posessions that might as well qualify as turnovers because of how AWFUL of a PG he is and to be frank - how awful of a starting player he is.  

He is the very definition of a microwave type guy off the bench - if he hits.  I don't think he has any upside beyond that and I swear i hope another org things otherwise and Bulls can get some value for him.  

My issue with Lauri - is not that he can't be a good player on a winning team - cause I absolutely think he can be. At this point - Bulls might as well watch to see if he can be a 20/10 type of guy - if he can - maybe you should pay him - but man - would have been nice if we saw this Lauri a year ago.  At this point - its hard for me to unwatch what happened last year.  And I don't love the notion of tying up a ton of cap space to him.  But the reality is - his improvements this year are real.  

39 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It was like three straight possession of just bizarre decisions and then they were out of it

Interesting guy who has good basketball feel but also does not at the same time. Maybe he sees the court so advanced nobody else is with him.

Also loved when they got within five at a minute left, got the rebound and Lavine refused to give the ball up and jacked a contested three pointer at the top of the key that wasn't anywhere near the rim.  Stacey King started muttering "oh terrible shot" as soon as it left his hand 😂 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I tuned in for the last five minutes last night just in time to see Denzel Valentine do a bunch of really stupid shit

You missed a lot of real good things he did though.  In general - the team played really really well in the 4th quarter. In particular - Williams showed his athleticism and why I believe he has the highest upside of anyone (including Lavine) on the roster.  The dude is explosive and has touch. He has a lot of work to do on his game and I haven't seen much passing, but from handles, to speed, to strength, to general touch - he flashes a hell of a lot of tools.  The key for him is his aggression - he started the season more aggressive and than after his injury become more passive - but saw some increased aggression yesterday.  

The offensive boards and 2nd chance points crushed the Bulls and they couldn't overcome it. Lavine had an easy 27 points or whatever he ended up with - but he did have one bad turnover late (albiet the team was very crisp with the ball).  

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If I'm trading Zach, it is for a boat load of picks. IMO, Zach and Beal are pretty similar in value and serve the same purpose. Beal will also be up for a big ass contract after this season. It just doesn't make sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If I'm trading Zach, it is for a boat load of picks. IMO, Zach and Beal are pretty similar in value and serve the same purpose. Beal will also be up for a big ass contract after this season. It just doesn't make sense to me. 

Me neither to be honest.  I would also rather have the picks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Zach was playing like he didn't want to be traded to New York (and I don't blame him). But I hope a team gives up a bunch of picks for him. Would be so beneficial in the long run.

Zach is putting up 27, 5 and 5 with a damn good TS% of 64.6%, so it will take a boatload of picks for AK to even consider trading him. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, ron883 said:

Zach is putting up 27, 5 and 5 with a damn good TS% of 64.6%, so it will take a boatload of picks for AK to even consider trading him. 

The two possible results are: trading LaVine for the best package the Bulls can get, or holding onto him for a deal that the Bulls can afford but that significantly hampers them on the Free agent market for several years. The latter option only works well if they can get a complimentary top player somewhere - either letting guys like Lauri and Wendell walk over the next 2 years to clear space, or making a trade somewhere. Like it or not, a big player signing with them or demanding a trade there now...is unlikely.

Thinking long term, compiling extra draft picks is the right move for this franchise. With both near-term FAs.

Really bad loss. Came out flat to start - 2 games in a row - had a heck of a run in 4th quarter - but came up short. 

Williams with back to back strong games. But man him and White both missed gimme layups in final 2 minutes. That said - As much as I complain about Koby - I love watching an aggressive Williams. That mid range game is smooth! 

11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lavine with a stud performance last night - Williams had back to back real good games as well (which was nice to see).  Williams really passes my eye test.  

He's good but he needs to get better as a shooter. Hopefully he works on that over the next couple years. I've come to grips with the idea that everyone on the roster is a trade chip except Pat Williams. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's good but he needs to get better as a shooter. Hopefully he works on that over the next couple years. I've come to grips with the idea that everyone on the roster is a trade chip except Pat Williams. 

Maybe it’s cuz I spent $99 on the nba package, but damn, I like watching them play.  Haven’t felt that way since prime Noah/Rose 

Edited by Jerksticks

• bmags locked this topic