ALDS Game 1- White Sox/Astros, 3:07 GAME THREAD

flavum

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I would rather have used Crochet in the spot against Brantley. Instead we used him a few innings later when it was a 6 run game. 

They probably are more leery of Crochet in high leverage situations in the playoffs. Or they were.  Maybe next opportunity. Point for me is that if TLR sees a potential  issue with a starter, it doesn’t help to lament things postgame.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

I'm now going to sit back at 8:15 and read this long thread. Haven't read a post yet. My take ...

Parts that worry me: Anemic offense today. Team didn't explode offensively just cause the calendar spilled into October for playoff baseball. Speculation is the Astros' two starters are good at keeping the ball in the ballpark which would suggest another homerless day and 0-2 hole. ... Astros and their loud fans expect to win and just might do that again tomorrow (see all those old Yankee series vs. Twins; are Sox outclassed?) ... Little surprised they had no problem getting 4 runs off Lynn very early. Are their hitters just too good? ... Houston is playing with house money. Kicked Sox butt today. Might just continue the onslaught in Game Two.

Parts that encourage me: Sox have a close-knit competitive team. Now that they got somewhat embarrassed in the opener, they've been slapped in the face and figure to respond in kind. Gritty baseball coming. ... Sox won the opener last year vs. Tampa and lost that series 3-1. This loss doesn't mean anything if team can salvage the split. ... Giolito might excel for five innings, six innings. ... If Sox can split series in Houston, the Sox will be a whole new team in Chicago Houston won't know what hit it. ... Not sure Houston can win a game in Sox ballpark.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

It will be interesting to see what they do this offseason if they lose the next two games. Any thoughts?

This game should guide their offseason. 

They need defense, more OBP guys and a better bottom of the roster. In addition to other things

30 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Cora just pulled Rodriguez after 1.2 innings. Really makes you wonder why La Russa let Lynn pitch to Brantley. Lynn had given up hard contact that entire inning. That was basically the inning that broke the camel's back. Had we gotten out of it without any runs, it might have been a different game. We were close to putting up 3-4 runs in the last few innings. 

If you’re expecting the White Sox to have superior strategy in this postseason, you’re not going to be too thrilled. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m not ready to think about that yet.

Lol. Probably too early but just thought I would get some people’s on it.

50 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Well if we get swept it clearly means we're just not talented enough to compete with the elite teams. I know that's hard to believe considering we were 2nd in baseball in fWAR this year, but we also ended up playing lots of games against a very bad AL Central and we beat the shit out of the Orioles, Cubs, and Rangers. We'll see how the rest of the series plays out, but we have some pretty obvious holes in this lineup and some of our core players aren't living up to their potential (Eloy).

49 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Add, or trade for defense, speed and baserunning. By any means necessary. 

45 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

One of Eloy, Yoan, or Vaughn will be traded. 

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why Yoan?  This team needs defense and lefty bats, and he does well with both.  But yes I would absolutely dangle Eloy and Vaughn

42 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Just throwing some shit out there.

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Too early to give up on any of them.

10 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

This game should guide their offseason. 

They need defense, more OBP guys and a better bottom of the roster. In addition to other things

They shouldn’t trade Eloy, Vaughn or Moncada. They should add to their core, not trade them or tear it apart. It took them years to get where they are right now. They should add free agents. I’m thinking either Marcus Semien or possibly going after Eduardo Escobar again for 2b and for RF Starling Marte. Can you imagine this lineup.

SS Anderson, 2b Semien or Escobar, CF Robert, 1st Abreu, LF Jimenez, C Grandal, 3rd Moncada, RF Marte, DH Vaughn. 

That fixes the bottom of the lineup and adds speed, defense, power and contact hitting to the team. Also, deepens your bench with Garcia, Engel and Sheets. We wouldn’t have to play Goodwin anymore.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Lol. Probably too early but just thought I would get some people’s on it.

They shouldn’t trade Eloy, Vaughn or Moncada. They should add to their core, not trade them or tear it apart. It took them years to get where they are right now. They should add free agents. I’m thinking either Marcus Semien or possibly going after Eduardo Escobar again for 2b and for RF Starling Marte. 

They aren’t adding more $ to this payroll without moving some contracts. 

5 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

They aren’t adding more $ to this payroll without moving some contracts. 

If Jerry and the FO wants to win another WS or a couple, if that’s truly what there goal is, than he needs to open up his pocketbook and start adding payroll to compete against the elite teams. No ifs, ands or buts about it!

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

They have a big pair of $15-20 million decisions with Kimbrel’s option and Rodon and the qualifying offer. 

I think they should just let Rodon walk and somehow find a way to add Kopech to the rotation, which I don’t know how they are going to do it. 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Trading Kimbrel this offseason seems like a no brainer

Yeah I agree, I would try to find a taker for Kimbrel to see what they can get for him and just use Crochet or Bummer as the setup man for Hendricks. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

We’re not gonna get shit for Kimbrel, not after the way he’s pitched since the trade. 

Doesn’t really matter. We get rid of his contract and use the money to add an elite player or a couple solid players. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Doesn’t really matter. We get rid of his contract and use the money to add an elite player or a couple solid players. 

It certainly does matter who they get back, seeing as what they gave up to get him. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, soulfly said:

It certainly does matter who they get back, seeing as what they gave up to get him. 

They can get a 2b this offseason to replace what they gave up. 2b is one of the easier positions to find a replacement. Losing Heuer is tough. However, relievers are hit or miss. One year, they can be good and than the next year they can be bad or they can be good for the first half of the season and than be bad for the second half of the season. 

Edited by maloney.adam