SP Targets

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I could care less about Hosmer.  I just enjoy watching dynamic position players.

With pitching at an extreme premium and so many injuries starting to pop up already...it would just be incredibly risky to give up two guys.

When's the last time a trade like that happened?  If the Padres were legitimately cash strapped...but they were actively going after Suzuki with Hosmer still on the roster.

Basically, it's quite interesting to watch teams with such opposite philosophies both in their contention windows...one thing for sure is that Preller will lose his job if they miss the postseason again this year.  And the two respective divisions they compete in couldn't be more diametrically opposed opposites.

And it's normal to be a bit down on the White Sox after this offseason and particularly the last 7-10 days.

Didn’t the Padres just offer both Paddack & Weathers in packages for Reynolds?  And wasn’t that before they acquired Manaea?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Didn’t the Padres just offer both Paddack & Weathers in packages for Reynolds?  And wasn’t that before they acquired Manaea?

Maybe.  But they also valued a premium outfielder with a proven track record more highly than Vaughn...despite fewer years of control.

We don't really know the specifics as with the Mets deal that was ultimately rejected.

Look at it this way...would the White Sox trade Vaughn straight up for Reynolds?  And would the White Sox trade Vaughn for Paddack and Weathers?  

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Maybe.  But they also valued a premium outfielder with a proven track record more highly than Vaughn...despite fewer years of control.

We don't really know the specifics as with the Mets deal that was ultimately rejected.

Look at it this way...would the White Sox trade Vaughn straight up for Reynolds?  And would the White Sox trade Vaughn for Paddack and Weathers?  

Before the Pollock deal?  I would think about Vaughn for Reynolds. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re arguing two different things now.  You said the Padres wouldn’t move two arms in the same deal despite just offering those two arms in a deal for a player before they had even acquired more SP depth.  Now you’re arguing something about Vaughn who was never part of my hypothetical.  

What we do know is the Padres offered the Mets Paddack, Pagan, & ~$30M in cash to take on Hosmer’s contract and receive Dom Smith.  The Mets rejected that deal, so I think it’s safe to say the Padres would have to give more to get a deal down.  And personally, I think Sheets is more valuable than Smith his lengthier amount of control remaining.

2 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

They’re going to try and skate by til June/July with what they got. MAYBE make a move at the deadline. They’re one major injury away from the rotation being complete shit. 

They are going to bring in someone else somehow. Just a question of who.

They know that if someone has a minor injury or sprains an ankle then they're basically out of non-bullpen arms right now. 

I'd give J.A. Happ a buzz.  Local guy, finished stronger than he started last year, could add him to the pen as a lefty arm once Lynn returns if he's not getting shelled.  Also, I once played beer pong with him and he was a nice dude.  Unless you can coax Miller out of retirement I don't see many better options that don't involve a trade. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I'd give J.A. Happ a buzz.  Local guy, finished stronger than he started last year, could add him to the pen as a lefty arm once Lynn returns if he's not getting shelled.  Also, I once played beer pong with him and he was a nice dude.  Unless you can coax Miller out of retirement I don't see many better options that don't involve a trade. 

I'm pretty sure we singlehandedly broke J.A. Happ last year. We scored 15 runs off him in 6.1 innings in back to back starts. His ERA goes from 5.79 to 5.11 if you take away those starts from his stat line. Still bad, but not as bad. 

I think guys like Happ can live if you put a great defense like the Cardinals' defense behind him. On this team, he probably doesn't have the same fortunes. 

9 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Under our current circumstances, he might be worth a try if we can't find a legit #4 type.

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

He'd be the best pitcher (of depth options) in the organization with option years left. Small bar to clear, but I don't mind adding him as a depth option if the price is cheap enough. A lot of pitchers have improved after leaving Pittsburgh recently. I don't think their pitching development is very good.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

He'd be the best pitcher (of depth options) in the organization with option years left. Small bar to clear, but I don't mind adding him as a depth option if the price is cheap enough. A lot of pitchers have improved after leaving Pittsburgh recently. I don't think their pitching development is very good.

Nothing in Pittsburgh is very good, hahahaha

Depending on cost, this wouldn't be the worst idea. I'd wager his production is probably similar to whatever a 36 year old Cueto would give you, and with the option, you can at least hang onto him for assurance, where Cueto is getting DFA'd once a healthy Lynn returns.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Too bad this guy is FOS, because Brubaker is one of my break out arms in 2022. I like him to take a nice step forward, his stuff has really been playing up and he added a little this off-season. Don't think he's going to be a super star but he'd be more than a nice fill in guy IMO.

• Like 2

Here's a little blurb from Eno Sarris recently about Brubaker:

"J.T. Brubaker (106/107/105)

Always noted for his excellent command of a wide variety of pitches, J.T. Brubaker is doing something he did in only three of his 24 appearances last season — showing above-average stuff. Of course, that’s a note of caution, he’s flashed this before, but it’s also worth remembering that he didn’t have this high a Stuff+ number in any two consecutive starts last season. A pitching coach once told me that pitchers like Brubaker — with a few pitches and good command who are just getting to the big leagues — are their favorites because one little tweak can change everything."

Eno stealing my calls and guys but I'll cut him some slack.

• Like 2

If the Sox are actually interested, I'd imagine it can't take much to get someone like Brubaker unless Pittsburgh really likes him.

Might be a good opportunity to give Adolfo a new home along with another low minors guy the Pirates might like. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If the Sox are actually interested, I'd imagine it can't take much to get someone like Brubaker unless Pittsburgh really likes him.

Might be a good opportunity to give Adolfo a new home along with another low minors guy the Pirates might like. 

Pittsburgh definitely is one of the teams that is in the position to give Micker a lengthy audition if they like him. Good thinking.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re arguing two different things now.  You said the Padres wouldn’t move two arms in the same deal despite just offering those two arms in a deal for a player before they had even acquired more SP depth.  Now you’re arguing something about Vaughn who was never part of my hypothetical.  

What we do know is the Padres offered the Mets Paddack, Pagan, & ~$30M in cash to take on Hosmer’s contract and receive Dom Smith.  The Mets rejected that deal, so I think it’s safe to say the Padres would have to give more to get a deal down.  And personally, I think Sheets is more valuable than Smith his lengthier amount of control remaining.

You're also arguing a hypothetical, because that's a rumor that has a lot less backing.

One can guarantee if Pagan was also included that the return would have to be more substantial than Sheets.

The Padres are going to value Smith's predictability and performance over the next couple of seasons over the long term...because Sheets isn't a proven everyday player and you can't really play him very often in the outfield.  Smith is at least playable out there.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Pittsburgh definitely is one of the teams that is in the position to give Micker a lengthy audition if they like him. Good thinking.

Who has waiver priority if Adolfo is cut?  Is it worst overall team or worse AL team?  Regardless, I’m doubtful the Pirates would give up Brubaker for him.