Garcia offered Deal

DBAHO

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's worth a lot more than that on the open market. What did ponson get?

IIRC Ponson got 7 mill. over three years.

Good deal - get this righty signed up for a couple of years, and hopefully we have our future two, three, and four pitchers locked up for a couple of years (Garcia, Buerhle, Garland).

You're probably right. I do think, however, that Ponson's and Colon's performances this season may finally bring down contracts, in terms of length and price, for pitchers. JR's theory that pitchers should not get more than a 3 year contract has proven time and time again to be correct. There has been an exception or 2, but not many. I read last year, that many teams have adopted his policy. I'm sure more will now.

IIRC Ponson got 7 mill. over three years.

Good deal - get this righty signed up for a couple of years, and hopefully we have our future two, three, and four pitchers locked up for a couple of years (Garcia, Buerhle, Garland).

Garland still looks like a four pitcher to me. How I wish he would show us a bit more consistency.

So if we actually do manage to lock up Garcia, do we still try to resign Loiaza? I would make getting another halfway decent starter a priority. I want 4 guys who are capable of going 200 innings.

I think Diaz's pseudo-emergence is going to make Loiaza a bit expendable. I'd like to see Garcia resigned and a serious offer made to Carl Pavano. If we can't get Carl, then make a mid-level offer to Loiaza.

I think Diaz's pseudo-emergence is going to make Loiaza a bit expendable.  I'd like to see Garcia resigned and a serious offer made to Carl Pavano.  If we can't get Carl, then make a mid-level offer to Loiaza.

If we got Pavano I'd go nuts! However - I think we should get one more lefty in our rotation (not Cotts - I like him but not yet a starter, unless he really proves himself in ST next year.)

Right now - we should have Garcia, Buerhle, Garland, and Diaz penciled into our rotation, well at least that's what I think. One more lefty should be needed, considering that there are some real powerful lefties on the Cleveland/Minny (Broussard and Mauer come immediately to mind.)

Thoughts?

If we got Pavano I'd go nuts!  However - I think we should get one more lefty in our rotation (not Cotts - I like him but not yet a starter, unless he really proves himself in ST next year.)

Right now - we should have Garcia, Buerhle, Garland, and Diaz penciled into our rotation, well at least that's what I think.  One more lefty should be needed, considering that there are some real powerful lefties on the Cleveland/Minny (Broussard and Mauer come immediately to mind.)

Thoughts?

Well, we have Josh Stewart and David Sanders in Charlotte :lol:

I bet if we sign him we will trade either or both of Lee/Konerko. Just my guess.

i thought the same thing..you can find a LF / 1b that can be very productive for half of what konerko and lee will get..the positions they play make them expendable

I bet if we sign him we will trade either or both of Lee/Konerko.

As it should be.

Lee is due 9 Mill in 2005 and Konerko - 8.75.

Lee's D is average, he is going to slow down every year now and his bat was only worth that money in 2003 - IF that. Unless he has a Manny Remirez Lite 2nd half this year, he should be very expendable.

Paulie is a GIDP meister with average at best defense at the easiest fielding position; he clogs bases and his offense has barely been enough to justify that kind of money.

Neither player is a liability - in fact Paulie is producing very well now, but in the long run, Sox cannot afford these two.

Why? Because we know that you need a very strong 1-2-3 in the playoffs. Loaiza obvisouly can no longer be counted on as a premiere pitcher and will likely leave after 2004. Sox have a #2 in Garcia and a #3 in Buerhle. A true #1 is missing, however. THAT's where the money should go. And since those are expensive as hell, money has to be freed up.

Thomas is getting a raise. Buerhle is getting a raise. Shingo is getting a raise. Uribe might be too. Unless Magglio leaves for sure, Sox can't have both Lee and Konerko even IF the payroll is at 70+ Mill.

Of course if these two ever learn to drive the ball to RF-RCF-CF consistently, then it's a different story.

As it should be.

Lee is due 9 Mill in 2005 and Konerko - 8.75.

Lee's D is average, he is going to slow down every year now and his bat was only worth that money in 2003 - IF that.    Unless he has a Manny Remirez Lite 2nd half this year,  he should be very expendable.

Paulie is a GIDP meister with average at best defense at the easiest fielding position; he clogs bases and his offense has barely been enough to justify that kind of money.

Neither player is a liability - in fact Paulie is producing very well now, but in the long run, Sox cannot afford these two.   

Why?  Because we know that you need a very strong 1-2-3 in the playoffs. Loaiza obvisouly can no longer be counted on as a premiere pitcher and will likely leave after 2004. Sox have a #2 in Garcia and a #3 in Buerhle. A true #1 is missing, however.    THAT's where the money should go. And since those are expensive as hell, money has to be freed up.

Thomas is getting a raise.  Buerhle is getting a raise. Shingo is getting a raise. Uribe might be too. Unless Magglio leaves for sure, Sox can't have both Lee and Konerko even IF the payroll is at 70+ Mill.

Of course if these two ever learn to drive the ball to RF-RCF-CF consistently, then it's a different story.

What the hell, since when is Buehrle a number 3? Haven't you said all year that Buehrle is a number 2. :huh

I think Diaz's pseudo-emergence is going to make Loiaza a bit expendable.  I'd like to see Garcia resigned and a serious offer made to Carl Pavano.  If we can't get Carl, then make a mid-level offer to Loiaza.

If we got Pavano that'd be f'n awesome! :headbang Btw, thinking of free agents, does anyone have a list of free agents for next year?

Why would Freddie take any offer from the Sox? if we give him a valid offer, that just starts the bargaining process, and he can interview twenty teams in the off season. So what that means is that we gave up Reed, Morse, and Olivo for 5-6 wins and a draft choice next June.

Why would Freddie take any offer from the Sox?  if we give him a valid offer, that just starts the bargaining process, and he can interview twenty teams in the off season.  So what that means is that we gave up Reed, Morse, and Olivo for 5-6 wins and a draft choice next June.

Yeah pretty much :huh