Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Well it was also before the tigers (potentially) unloaded 6 guys.

So potentially the Sox can maintain 29th or even move up to 28th. Not very encouraging considering the lack of contribution they got out of a system that was once ranked #1 only 7 years ago.

It's over. They used us as a bluff. Hopefully not but it doesn't look good and gets worse.

MLB.com is reporting that the Tigers are set to acquire Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis from the Marlins for Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and four more prospects.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
The Dodgers were going to offer Jones a contract until Boras threw out a few numbers. They didn't bother. I am on record as saying the White Sox signing Andruw Jones would be the most shocking signing in team history.

I agree. I can't see KW going the 18 million or a long contract with him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
So potentially the Sox can maintain 29th or even move up to 28th. Not very encouraging considering the lack of contribution they got out of a system that was once ranked #1 only 7 years ago.

Doesn't that just prove that the rankings are bulls*** conjecture?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
Well start to unload then. Because we are not competing with that lineup for the next few years.

Not just their lineup, but their pitching is vastly superior to our own. I still wonder if we have the pitching to finish in the top of the division even with Miggy. I can see a lot of 8-7 games...when Mark or Javy pitches probably good, but who the hell after that?

Can Buehrle and Javy pitch on 2 days rest?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
Because that's so much better and more intimidating than the lineups the Yankees have trotted out the past 5 years.

Compare the Yanks pitching staff over the last few years to the one that the Tigers trot out and reassess the issue.

Because that's so much better and more intimidating than the lineups the Yankees have trotted out the past 5 years.

I was thinking the same thing. Just because you have all that talent, doesn't mean anything. 2 out of the last 3 years, the World Series winner didn't have the best talent. The White Sox didn't have a lot of household names and besides Pujols and possibly Rolen...the Cards didn't have too many household names.

Just sayin...

The Yankees have made the playoffs how many years in a row? Considering its rare a wild card team comes from the Central Divison and Cleveland appears to only be getting better, KW has a whole lot of work to do to catch up, and he's pretty strapped with the payroll.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
Props to the Tigers. They see this is their window with Maggs-Sheff-Pudge all getting older. They are going for it all for next few years.

That farm system is completely ripped apart now.

Yeah, they had a taste of coming close and they're going for the whole thing now.

Can't blame 'em.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)

At least they had one to rip apart to get a deal like this done. Our bad minors have now costed us one of the games greatest hitters. People think those of us who want a great minors are just hoping those guys develop...NO, you have a great system to deal those guys for players like Miggy.

It's sorta how we put together the 2005 team, dealing off prospects for established talent.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
Props to the Tigers. They see this is their window with Maggs-Sheff-Pudge all getting older. They are going for it all for next few years.

2007 Detroit Tigers Prospects

1. Cameron Maybin, OF, Grade A- (outstanding overall prospect, just needs to cut strikeouts)

2. Andrew Miller, LHP, Grade A- (throws hard, usually throws strikes, extreme ground ball pitcher)

3. Eulogio De La Cruz, RHP, B- (can hit 100 MPH but still learning how to pitch)

4. Jair Jurrjens, RHP, B- (Good arm but will need additional time)

5. Gorkys Hernandez, OF, B- (very toolsy, young, strong GCL numbers)

6. Jeff Larish, 1B, B- (plenty of power and patience, but is his swing too long?)

7. Scott Sizemore, 2B, B- (should hit for average at all levels)

8. Brent Clevlen, OF, C+ (which is the real Clevlen? I don't know)

9. Jordan Tata, RHP, C+ (Should be an average pitcher in any role)

10. Dallas Trahern, RHP, C+ (Good power sinker, low strikeout rate a concern)

11. Jonah Nickerson, RHP, C+ (polished college star lacks plus stuff)

12. Mike Holliman, SS, C+ (outstanding secondary skills but was old for the level)

13. Brennan Boesch, OF, C+ (promising college hitter from '06 draft)

14. Ronnie Bourquin, 3B, C+ (promising college hitter from '06 draft)

15. Tony Giarratano, SS, C (looks like he'll be a utility guy, health an issue)

16. Brett Jensen, RHP, C (throws strikes, projects as middle man)

17. Brendan Wise, RHP, C (another ground ball pitcher, a possible sleeper)

18. Matt Joyce, OF, C (A-ball performance was disappointing)

19. Chris Cody, LHP, C (doesn't throw hard, good command)

20. Virgil Vasquez, RHP, C (doesn't throw hard, good command)

Sickels review of their prospects.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Compare the Yanks pitching staff over the last few years to the one that the Tigers trot out and reassess the issue.

Verlander

Willis

Rogers

Bonderman

Robertson

Only 1 guy on that list had an ERA under 4.4 last year, and that was Verlander. That supposedly dominant staff sure struggled one hell of a lot last year outside of Verlander.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
I think it is, and the Tigers have a fine starting rotation.

They have a very nice balance now with MCab and Granderson leading the way with the youngsters, giving the team a very strong core for the future. Their vets could implode, but I dont see all of them doing that. Their pitching is their biggest question, yet they still have Verlander, Bonderman, and once back Zumaya. Plus they could reload a bit with trading Inge. Gahhh, I hate living near Detroit now that the Tigers are good, and kickin' our arses.

Edited by bigruss22