2010-2011 NBA Thread

Thing with Jordan is that scoring 100, or even 80, would be so out of character for him. He'd have to chuck it at a ridiculous rate to come close. That wasn't his game. There's a reason he had such ridiculous FG percentages and premium efficiency for a 2-guard. His shot selection and overall fundamentals were second to none. You'll see guys like Kobe launching 25 footers with regularity when he's hot. And while they look great when they're going in, you look like a ball-hogging fool when they miss. And you're obviously going to miss a lot more of those than you make. Jordan's game was free-throw line and below. He was never a volume 3-point shooter. Which he would have to make atleast 7-10 3's to have a shot. Again, that wasn't his game. And this might be me, but would 100 points even be viewed as a great accomplishment? Even if someone did it you'd have just as many people criticizing it as you would people marveling at it.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
Thing with Jordan is that scoring 100, or even 80, would be so out of character for him. He'd have to chuck it at a ridiculous rate to come close. That wasn't his game. There's a reason he had such ridiculous FG percentages and premium efficiency for a 2-guard. His shot selection and overall fundamentals were second to none. You'll see guys like Kobe launching 25 footers with regularity when he's hot. And while they look great when they're going in, you look like a ball-hogging fool when they miss. And you're obviously going to miss a lot more of those than you make. Jordan's game was free-throw line and below. He was never a volume 3-point shooter. Which he would have to make atleast 7-10 3's to have a shot. Again, that wasn't his game. And this might be me, but would 100 points even be viewed as a great accomplishment? Even if someone did it you'd have just as many people criticizing it as you would people marveling at it.

I could give a s*** less what people said about it, it would be amazing.

Chicago take on Orlando tonight, we've won 18 pre-season games in a row under SVG now.

Q-Rich and Duhon have fit in pretty well for us so far. Richardson is a better fit in our system than Barnes was IMO (better 3PT shooter and he's actually in good shape again), while Duhon's an upgrade as the backup PG from Williams last season.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
I actually thought Williams was better last year. There were spurts when he was also better than Jameer in terms of getting the offense to work.

I put that down to Nelson having an injury interrupted season again (think it was about mid season when he lost a lot of confidence etc.)

I think Duhon at least offers a lot more on the defensive end then White Chocolate does in any regard.

Certainly was a bit of a mis-match last night. Think you only scored 23 in the 1st half all together.

With the way Bass is playing, is gives us the option of starting him at PF, or Q Rich at SF depending on matchups.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 06:49 AM)
Certainly was a bit of a mis-match last night. Think you only scored 23 in the 1st half all together.

With the way Bass is playing, is gives us the option of starting him at PF, or Q Rich at SF depending on matchups.

After looking at the box score, it was a mismatch because none of our starters played more than 21 min, while Scalabrine, Thomas, and Watson all played 30+.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
After looking at the box score, it was a mismatch because none of our starters played more than 21 min, while Scalabrine, Thomas, and Watson all played 30+.

The Bulls don't have much of a post-game without Boozer and Gibson which means if the mid-range jumpers aren't falling then the Bulls aren't winning.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
The Bulls don't have much of a post-game without Boozer and Gibson which means if the mid-range jumpers aren't falling then the Bulls aren't winning.

Sounds awfully familiar

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Sounds awfully familiar

It's classic Post-Brand Bulls basketball. If they can't feed the ball inside, they mostly run ISO plays and run around like chickens with their heads cut off. When Boozer gets back they can thrive off the pick and roll, but until then they're going to move the ball around and look for open shots off the perimeter.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
It's classic Post-Brand Bulls basketball. If they can't feed the ball inside, they mostly run ISO plays and run around like chickens with their heads cut off. When Boozer gets back they can thrive off the pick and roll, but until then they're going to move the ball around and look for open shots off the perimeter.

Do you really expect better out of the Bulls backups? If Rose and Boozer aren't in, who else is left to create their own shots? If you took Kobe and Gasol out of the Lakers, wouldn't they be the same way?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 06:49 AM)

Doesn't hurt one team was fresh while the other flew in late to play that night on a back to back. Thank god it's pre-season though. Bulls just looked sloppy from the get go.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Doesn't hurt one team was fresh while the other flew in late to play that night on a back to back. Thank god it's pre-season though. Bulls just looked sloppy from the get go.

Something that the team has to get used to along with Thibs. First time they've had a coach in 2+ years, completely reassembled team, best post player injured.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
Do you really expect better out of the Bulls backups? If Rose and Boozer aren't in, who else is left to create their own shots? If you took Kobe and Gasol out of the Lakers, wouldn't they be the same way?

I wasn’t passing any sort of judgment here. I was making an observation about the offensive adjustments the Bulls are making with two post players out.

Grabbing a Bill Simmons blurb on Anthony/Bulls:

Love the Rose-Noah-Boozer trio. All three play hard and complement each other. Actually, that's the biggest reason I didn't want Chicago to make a run at Carmelo. On paper, yeah … Carmelo is a better player than Noah. But why break up the Boozer-Noah combo just to get a crunch-time scorer when you already have a creator in Rose? Lose Noah and you're losing a top-3 rebounder/shot-blocker, a total gamer, one of the most unselfish players in the league, and -- most importantly -- someone who allows Boozer to defend the other team's inferior big guy and just worry about scoring and crashing the boards. The dirty little secret of the 2010 Finals was this: Size does matter. When two teams crank up the defense in a Game 7 to "WE ARE TRYING AS HARD AS WE POSSIBLY CAN" heights and the pressure rises accordingly, suddenly it's about protecting the paint, the rim and the boards. That's it. The Celtics couldn't do it. That's why they lost. And that's why they got bigger this summer.

Back to the Bulls: You can't tell me that shaking things up so Carlos Boozer is your No. 1 rim/paint/backboard defender was a smart direction. Especially after we watched what happened with Utah these past few years. You win titles with rebounding and defense, and also with one guy who can create offense when you absolutely need it. Knowing this -- and we know this -- how does it make sense to trade Noah and Deng for Carmelo when you already have Derrick Rose? And by the way, when does Carmelo's NBA résumé of inspiring playoff flameouts start to override his Syracuse title during a horrible college basketball year? Aren't we there? Or close? I like that the Bulls stood pat. Smart move.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
Simmons is such a good NBA mind. Too bad ESPN doesn't utilize him more.

I seriously think you can argue either side of a Carmelo and Deng/Noah trade and not be wrong.

Pretty much. On one side, you get rid of two large contracts you're going to have to pay for Carmelo Anthony who would look really nice next to Rose and Boozer.

Or, Noah works perfectly well with Boozer as he finally has a defensive presence next to him so he can concentrate on offense. Deng also looks much better so far in this offense.