4/5/11 GT: Sox @ KC - 7:10pm CDT - CSN+

knightni

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
So, who wants to justify Ozzie not putting Thornton in there? Anyone?

You planning on using him for 2 or 3 innings? You really have to wait as long as possible to put him in the game in that situation.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 03:51 AM)

He's the closer...you save him for a save opportunity. If you're carrying 11 pitchers and 3 of them you can't trust, your team is going to be in huge trouble.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)
When you are up 2 in the 8th- you need to shut down the opposition. This game shouldn't of even sniffed extras. This is a terrible loss overall and hopefully it doesn't carry over into tomorrow's ballgame.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 03:53 AM)
He's the closer...you save him for a save opportunity. If you're carrying 11 pitchers and 3 of them you can't trust, your team is going to be in huge trouble.

Yes, yes, yes.

Up two in the eighth, gotta win. Sucks to be 2-2 vs. Cleveland and KC. Gotta do better than that.

Still early, though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Yes, yes, yes.

Up two in the eighth, gotta win. Sucks to be 2-2 vs. Cleveland and KC. Gotta do better than that.

Still early, though.

You win tomorrow and you're 3-2 on the first road trip of the season against lesser competition, that's a perfectly fine trip to start the year. Calm down.

This was definitely a bad loss but it was one of our better pitchers who got beaten by the count in this game. It happens unfortunately.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 03:57 AM)
You win tomorrow and you're 3-2 on the first road trip of the season against lesser competition, that's a perfectly fine trip to start the year. Calm down.

That'd be OK as you say. But if we lose tomorrow. The first road trip is a fat grade of D, considering the competition.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)

I will. The one advantage the visiting team has when a game goes extra innings is they can use their closer to close. The home team cannot. That's what he was waiting for. If he burned him up and Pena had to close and blew it, the argument would be why was Pena closing.

After a loss, you could blame Ozzie a lot of ways. Why make Thornton the closer when he locked down the 8th inning? If he pitched the 8th tonight, perhaps the Sox win. I'm no Ozzie apologist, but I don't think he did anything wrong with his pitching choices tonight.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
That'd be OK as you say. But if we lose tomorrow. The first road trip is a fat grade of D, considering the competition.

And either way it's 5 games. I sure as hell wont be happy with a 2-3 start but it certainly wont be time to panic.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:44 PM)
Pena has lost more games than any reliever Sox have had in years, he always gives up a run.

This is exactly what I tried to point out last year.

He comes into close games and either gets the loss or puts the game out of reach.

It was absolutely amazing the run differential in sox losses that involved Pena were the runs he gave up.

Edited by mcgrad70

Some positives:

Sale failed. He needed this. Time to get hungry boy and earn some real cred.

Beckham continues to roll.

Tcq?

Rios is in the game now.

Floyd going deep with 1.5 pitches working.

None of this will matter when we start a 25-5 run.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
Some positives:

Sale failed. He needed this. Time to get hungry boy and earn some real cred.

Beckham continues to roll.

Tcq?

Rios is in the game now.

Floyd going deep with 1.5 pitches working.

None of this will matter when we start a 25-5 run.

Sergio and Jesse were fantastic.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)

no. you dont know how long the games going to be. You don't save a good pitcher for something that might never happen. That's just ludicrous. You pitch your BEST pitcher, trusting your OFFENSE to take care of a crappy KC bullpen.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
no. you dont know how long the games going to be. You don't save a good pitcher for something that might never happen. That's just ludicrous. You pitch your BEST pitcher, trusting your OFFENSE to take care of a crappy KC bullpen.

Like how they took care of that crappy bullpen in the 3 innings before?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:44 PM)
Pretty impressed seeing some of the talent KC is bringing up. Crow and Jeffress look like the real deal. J4L probably enjoyed seeing them pitch tonight.

I was at the Bulls game so I missed this one. But I mentioned in the "I'm worried about the KC series" thread that the Royals had a chance to have a pretty electric 'Pen this year.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
Like how they took care of that crappy bullpen in the 3 innings before?

so for some reason more of the heat falls on the pitcher than the hitters? why couldn't they execute?

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
If Tony Pena and Will Ohman pitch in many meaningful games this year we are screwed.

Ohman flat sucks. I never expected much from him. But it is disappointing that Coop has not had a drop of success with Pena. Seemed like he was the type of pitcher that would flourish here. I know Brandon Allen hasn't done much yet (due to Arizona's inept front office and personnel decisions), but I really want that trade back.

While I think its still early to b**** about this team, this game should've been our. With that said this team has holes. Out of what seemed could be our best bullpen yet, we have Thornton, Santos, Crain, not sure what in Sale, not so good Humber, and Scott Lineb..Ohman and mediocre Pena

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 12:04 AM)
While I think its still early to b**** about this team, this game should've been our. With that said this team has holes. Out of what seemed could be our best bullpen yet, we have Thornton, Santos, Crain, not sure what in Sale, not so good Humber, and Scott Lineb..Ohman and mediocre Pena

Not sure why you thought that. We have exactly one sure thing in the bullpen and that's Thornton. And he's in a new role now. I'm not saying the potential is not there to be good or at least above average. But the 'pen really isn't any better on paper than last year. I would've rather gone 3 years with somebody like Scott Downs, a guy that's more proven than Crain, that has the ability to get both RH and LH hitters out. And maybe sign a guy like Jose Contreras instead of the filth that is Ohman. The years and money would've been pretty similar.

I will. The one advantage the visiting team has when a game goes extra innings is they can use their closer to close. The home team cannot. That's what he was waiting for. If he burned him up and Pena had to close and blew it, the argument would be why was Pena closing.

I despise Ozzie perhaps more than anyone else here, but you are correct. Ozzie was not at all at fault for this loss.

On the other hand it could be worse, we could be the freaking Red Sox

Yeah, for such a stacked-looking team their start has been pretty pathetic.

Edited by TheBigHurt