2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670

From a trusted source: Brett Myers vesting option based on games finished will have zero impact on any decisions about his usage.

If Cooptura want Myers to close, he will. Not saying that's imminent, & I'm in no way recommending it; but 10M option year is not an issue.

There's no way in hell this guy will finish enough games to get the option year. You think the White Sox are going to pay a 10 million dollar option year on this guy? No way.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
There's no way in hell this guy will finish enough games to get the option year. You think the White Sox are going to pay a 10 million dollar option year on this guy? No way.

If they make him a starter they will.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
If they make him a starter they will.

Myers as a starter in the AL for the Sox...

What type of numbers would you expect?

I'd see 200+/- innings - work horse number 4 type stuff.

Maybe a 1.3 WHIP if cooper works well with him.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
Myers as a starter in the AL for the Sox...

What type of numbers would you expect?

I'd see 200+/- innings - work horse number 4 type stuff.

Maybe a 1.3 WHIP if cooper works well with him.

200 innings, anywhere from 4-4.5 ERA.

So league average. For $10 million, that's not horrible.

Only thing is on Myers, when was the last time he started a game?

Physically can he handle the rigors of the AL as a full time starter?

And would he hamper the bullpen if Coop/Ventura do switch him as a starter?

IMHO he's fine where he is in the pen.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Only thing is on Myers, when was the last time he started a game?

Physically can he handle the rigors of the AL as a full time starter?

And would he hamper the bullpen if Coop/Ventura do switch him as a starter?

IMHO he's fine where he is in the pen.

2011 - 33 starts, 216 IP

2010 - 33 starts, 223.2 IP

I think his arm can handle starting the whole year and he would be a help to the bullpen. He has 6 other seasons with 30+starts. How his 4.21 career ERA in the NL would translate to the AL is the question.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
Anyone today watching the Rangers/Angels game?

lol, omg. So glad we have good pitching in comparison to these teams.

Both teams have slightly better team ERA's this year than the Sox. Not that its drastic, but that statement doesn't really work. And the Angels top 3 in their rotation is pretty f***ing nice.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
Both teams have slightly better team ERA's this year than the Sox. Not that its drastic, but that statement doesn't really work. And the Angels top 3 in their rotation is pretty f***ing nice.

I think i would take out Starters over theirs even though they have Weaver who should win the cy young this year. But we have 6 quality starters in Q Floyd Danks(when healthy) Liriano Peavy and Sale oh and Phillip Humber is not a bad spot starter guy with a Perfect game on his Resume. I think it would be interesting to compare our 5 starters to theirs at a complete whole. I think their bullpen may be a little better and I would say our pitching is way deeper than texas for sure. Feliz is hurt just like Danksy but I think we are better than them anyways even with the DUMPster in their starting rotation. (Not that Dempster is bad this year but I just like the nickname)

The White Sox signed Tommy Manzella to a minor league contract, according to the transactions page at CBSSports.com. Manzella, who was the Astros' Opening Day shortstop in 2010, has spent the last two years in the minors. The 29-year-old played for affiliates of the Brewers and Diamondbacks this year, posting a .229/.308/.271 batting line in 295 plate appearances.

QUOTE (Wagz @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
I think i would take out Starters over theirs even though they have Weaver who should win the cy young this year. But we have 6 quality starters in Q Floyd Danks(when healthy) Liriano Peavy and Sale oh and Phillip Humber is not a bad spot starter guy with a Perfect game on his Resume. I think it would be interesting to compare our 5 starters to theirs at a complete whole. I think their bullpen may be a little better and I would say our pitching is way deeper than texas for sure. Feliz is hurt just like Danksy but I think we are better than them anyways even with the DUMPster in their starting rotation. (Not that Dempster is bad this year but I just like the nickname)

There isn't a chance in hell I'm taking the White Sox rotation over the Angels rotation.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Has Friday's protest been officially responded to yet?

What do we know about Liriano's injury?

I saw somewhere today that MLB has denied the Angels request. Sox win. Also, Gonzalez just tweeted that Liriano will start Saturday vs Oakland. I imagine that means, Floyd Friday and Sale on Sunday.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
That game protest was bush-league. You could protest a play like that in every single game.

When I was a kid I was at a game in Sept. 1978, the Sox vs. Twins with a whole bunch of September call ups. Larry Doby was the Sox manager and he protested the game because one of the Twins, who had probably just been called up that day, didn't have his name of the back of his uniform. They announced the protest and reason on the PA. The crowd laughed.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
I didn't realize Courtney Hawkins is playing CF down in Bristol? Have to think he projects more into a right/left fielder.

He also has 8 SBs already.

CF's a harder position, may as well put him there eh?