NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
I know that's what they're relying on...but when he winds up teamed with a guy who is only an average PG because of the injuries and 2+ seasons off, if he even stays on the court, I can't fathom that team competing with the elite. Even with the way Noah is playing.

You're 100% right though...that's the only thing which will happen. The Bulls will amnesty Boozer, replace him with Mirotic, and otherwise stand pat, staying beneath the luxury tax and hoping for the best.

The funny thing is if Bulls never drafted Mirotic, tanked this year, drafted him with a top 5 pick, people would be freaking the hell out with excitement. Because of the way Mirotic has been stocked away I don't think people know how to value him, but by all accounts the guy is a lottery pick.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
The funny thing is if Bulls never drafted Mirotic, tanked this year, drafted him with a top 5 pick, people would be freaking the hell out with excitement. Because of the way Mirotic has been stocked away I don't think people know how to value him, but by all accounts the guy is a lottery pick.

But is he a "top 5 pick in this years draft"? Because there's a a big difference between a "lottery pick in an average year" and a "top 5 pick in 2014".

For a while SAS really annoyed me, he developed a huge air of self importance that negated any valuable info that he provided. Over the last couple years I actually have begun to appreciate him again. Maybe its because they have set him up as the counterbalance to Skip Bayless and he realized he doesnt want to be that douchebag in everyones eyes

Watching video of Morotic should get Bulls fans excited. The guy is going to be really good if not great. I wouldn't be surprised if his NBA career is on par with the top 5 guys in this draft. BTW, for the Bulls to get a top 5 pick, they would have to be really awful and really lucky. It wasn't going to happen without a miracle.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 07:40 AM)
Stephen A. Smith's rant about Melo needing to demand a trade was awesome.

Here's hoping the Knicks get desperate and the Bulls somehow pull of a trade without giving up Jimmy, Taj, Mirotic, or Noah.

Keep hoping. If Carmelo is on the roster, Bulls can't pay Taj as well. There's like no scenario in which Taj and Melo would be on the Bulls together unless Noah is gone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
Watching video of Morotic should get Bulls fans excited. The guy is going to be really good if not great. I wouldn't be surprised if his NBA career is on par with the top 5 guys in this draft. BTW, for the Bulls to get a top 5 pick, they would have to be really awful and really lucky. It wasn't going to happen without a miracle.

He really is destroying that league. Isnt he going for his third straight MVP, at 22 years old? Nothing for that guy to prove over there, only money to make. And unfortunately, that seems to be the key in the Bulls negotiations

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
He really is destroying that league. Isnt he going for his third straight MVP, at 22 years old? Nothing for that guy to prove over there, only money to make. And unfortunately, that seems to be the key in the Bulls negotiations

He gets compared to Nowitzki, and it is easy to see why in footage. To think he will be as successful is probably a reach, but stranger things have happened. Their offensive games seem very similar.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 05:40 AM)
Stephen A. Smith's rant about Melo needing to demand a trade was awesome.

Here's hoping the Knicks get desperate and the Bulls somehow pull of a trade without giving up Jimmy, Taj, Mirotic, or Noah.

That would be incredible but highly unlikey.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 06:04 AM)
Keep hoping. If Carmelo is on the roster, Bulls can't pay Taj as well. There's like no scenario in which Taj and Melo would be on the Bulls together unless Noah is gone.

Maybe a 3 team deal with Boozer going to Phoenix and Okafor headed to New York allows the Bulls to then give a ton of picks and other parts to New York (most importantly, New York gets picks and financial flexibility). I just don't know that they would deal Melo (unless he's forcing a deal to Chicago) without getting at least one of butler / taj / mirotic.

Note: In no way am I saying that is fair for NY. This would have to be a deal forced by Melo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)
Needs to be stressed.

And it isn't true. A lot of NBA execs and insiders have said he'd be a top 5 pick in this draft and has super star potential. In a normal draft, he probably goes #1. Dude is about to win his 3rd MVP at 22 and is crushing it.

You guys hear Sager's report last night that Boozer was supposedly told by Garpax that he would not be traded "for sure" before the deadline and his contract would not be bought out next year unless it was to bring in a superstar?

I wonder (1) if that's true and (2) why Boozer is getting mouthy all of a sudden. He's been so good the last few years of being quiet and playing his game. Why the sudden need to talk to the media?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
You guys hear Sager's report last night that Boozer was supposedly told by Garpax that he would not be traded "for sure" before the deadline and his contract would not be bought out next year unless it was to bring in a superstar?

I wonder (1) if that's true and (2) why Boozer is getting mouthy all of a sudden. He's been so good the last few years of being quiet and playing his game. Why the sudden need to talk to the media?

The reason they won't trade him is because they can't. The Knicks are over the cap if Melo walks. Taking Boozer's $16 million next year is $16 million + luxury tax penalty. And the penalties become much more severe next year. What cost the Lakers $29 million this year would cost $75 million next. He can't be amnestied by any team other than the Bulls.

Any trade rumor that includes Carlos Boozer is totally made up.

Lance Stevenson and/or Danny Granger. Those are guys who realistically might be Bulls next year.

And his contract can't be bought out. It is guaranteed. If the Bulls amnesty him, he still gets paid, it just doesn't count against the Bulls cap. I think how it works is they have some sort of auction and the Bulls pay the difference between the high bid and his contract figure.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)

Remember two months ago when we were all told that Deng wasnt going anywhere?

Boozer is getting mouthy because he sees the writing on the wall, and he isnt happy about what it says

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
And it isn't true. A lot of NBA execs and insiders have said he'd be a top 5 pick in this draft and has super star potential. In a normal draft, he probably goes #1. Dude is about to win his 3rd MVP at 22 and is crushing it.

He doesn't have the athleticism to be a top 5 pick in this draft. I don't see it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
The reason they won't trade him is because they can't. The Knicks are over the cap if Melo walks. Taking Boozer's $16 million next year is $16 million + luxury tax penalty. And the penalties become much more severe next year. What cost the Lakers $29 million this year would cost $75 million next. He can't be amnestied by any team other than the Bulls.

Any trade rumor that includes Carlos Boozer is totally made up.

Lance Stevenson and/or Danny Granger. Those are guys who realistically might be Bulls next year.

And his contract can't be bought out. It is guaranteed. If the Bulls amnesty him, he still gets paid, it just doesn't count against the Bulls cap. I think how it works is they have some sort of auction and the Bulls pay the difference between the high bid and his contract figure.

The only one that maybe made sense was the Phoenix rumors but It would be quite a bit of salary for them to take on. Bulls would have to give something to sweeten the offer. To be frank, I could live with Stephenson (replacing Boozer) joining the Bulls and staying as is (hoping we get some other quality players through the draft) + Mrotic. Rose / Stephenson / Butler / Gibson / Noah (+ Mrotic) is a nice looking young core (+ Snell and other draft picks coming in). This team is dependent on Rose being a star and Mrotic stepping up but it is possible.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Remember two months ago when we were all told that Deng wasnt going anywhere?

Boozer is getting mouthy because he sees the writing on the wall, and he isnt happy about what it says

I can't see how Boozer stays unless they think Taj is a piece that is moved for someone like Melo (or another star). With Taj / Noah / Mrotic it just doesn't make sense to spend the cash on Boozer and makes more sense to find another guard who can stretch the floor and make plays.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
He doesn't have the athleticism to be a top 5 pick in this draft. I don't see it.

I don't know. The footage I've seen he looks awful tough. Its like all those people that say Dirk isn't athletic. He's probably one of the most athletic bigs of all time. People just don't realize it cause they forget how big he is. Mirt has range, can play in side, seems to be a solid shot blocker, and has quite a few low post moves and hook shots. His euro game should transcend well and there aren't many people in the league with his size and skillset. I drink the Mirotic cool-aid.