Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
Maybe they are going to reinvest money into adding more scouts? Or one of these academies I hear other teams have? I know that's not 60 million dollars but, I think they can spend the money without people seeing it outwardly.

The team has definitely said it's going to do this...but yeah, there's only so much money you can put into academies and scouts before you're just dumping piles of money on the table and turning your back.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Maybe they are going to reinvest money into adding more scouts? Or one of these academies I hear other teams have? I know that's not 60 million dollars but, I think they can spend the money without people seeing it outwardly.

Sox have an academy in Venezuela and the Dominican already I believe.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
BP really liked this guy as a SS coming into this season. Said he has easy range a plus plus arm and is not short on premium tools. Said he lacks pop but scouts think he could hold his own enough to be an everyday SS.

I count 3.5 tools - glove, arm, speed, and a little bit of bat. Career .260 hitter in the minors, and his approximate splits over his previous 624 minor league PAs is .280/.325/.400/.725. If he can flash leather and put up a .250/.300/.375 line at the majors, he is going to be a perfectly capable shortstop.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Oh, and btw, I'll take the cash instead of Garcia.

This line kind of scares me. Why do you think Garcia is so bad?

I think it's a good deal. The only criticism I could accept is from those who think Hahn magically could have gotten more for Rios over the winter or next year's trade deadline. We'll never know if that's the case. I'll just say signs are pretty powerful that that is not the case. The Sox departed with Rios gladly just as the Blue Jays once did.

So in a nutshell, I can see why some think Hahn should have waited and waited to see if Rios' value would be better at the winter meetings. I'm thinking the fact Hahn got somebody to pay all but 1 million of remaining salary for a guy who APPEARS to have little to no trade value (because of his contract) and get a future big leaguer was a decent trade.

I think it's safe to say AS OF TODAY Rios has very little value to big league teams as far as trade (Hahn is no clown; you know he dangled Rios to everybody, looking and looking for a good deal before the trade deadline). Would that have changed as the months passed into the winter? Probably not. Who knows? Hahn saved Jerry a lot of money in the interim and I'm sure that gets him merit points considering Rios' seeming lack of passion for the game of baseball.

As far as Garcia, I have no problem with the return. Sounds like he has a chance to have a big league career like the other Garcia we got.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
I count 3.5 tools - glove, arm, speed, and a little bit of bat. Career .260 hitter in the minors, and his approximate splits over his previous 624 minor league PAs is .280/.325/.400/.725. If he can flash leather and put up a .250/.300/.375 line at the majors, he is going to be a perfectly capable shortstop.

Keep in mind when you're adding his minor league batting averages that he was also very young at each of those levels. AA ball at 21, AAA at 22 and didn't spend a full season there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
I think it's safe to say AS OF TODAY Rios has very little value to big league teams as far as trade (Hahn is no clown; you know he dangled Rios to everybody, looking and looking for a good deal before the trade deadline).

It isnt safe to say. In fact it is completely incorrect

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
The team has definitely said it's going to do this...but yeah, there's only so much money you can put into academies and scouts before you're just dumping piles of money on the table and turning your back.

I hear you loud and clear. I feel like some fans think they are going to take all this money and just go on a spending spree this winter, I don't forsee that at all. The purpose of freeing up the money isn't to use it right away, having flexibility is very valuable.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
I hear you loud and clear. I feel like some fans think they are going to take all this money and just go on a spending spree this winter, I don't forsee that at all. The purpose of freeing up the money isn't to use it right away, having flexibility is very valuable.

Agreed, maybe we can claim Rios next year when he's on waivers :)

I do agree with you though

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)

After today I genuinely think that Kendrys Morales absolutely has to be the #1 guy on their list. The fit is way, way, way too perfect. He fills our need as well as Rios fills the Rangers' need.

I would have hesitated on that if Rios wasn't moved, because the Sox would have been carrying too many OF's and someone would have had to move to first, but with Rios out of the way, Morales just becomes a perfect fit for the 1b hole, and he can move to DH later in the contract if needbe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
After today I genuinely think that Kendrys Morales absolutely has to be the #1 guy on their list. The fit is way, way, way too perfect. He fills our need as well as Rios fills the Rangers' need.

I would have hesitated on that if Rios wasn't moved, because the Sox would have been carrying too many OF's and someone would have had to move to first, but with Rios out of the way, Morales just becomes a perfect fit for the 1b hole, and he can move to DH later in the contract if needbe.

Where does Semien fit into your 2014 Sox plans?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
The more I look at this guy the more I like this return. It's not the #1 prospect in baseball but this kid is a legit piece that adds a lot of ability to the IF going forward.

It's exactly what I've been wanting except not established yet. I ve been advocating speed and defense for SS and CF to help the pitching staff. Luery can play both. In the off season I'd like to see if the Sox could get someone like Carlos Gomez or Ben Revere in a trade and that's still a possibility at least.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
The purpose of freeing up the money isn't to use it right away, having flexibility is very valuable.

For a bad team? Why? I mean I get why some flexibility is nice, but not much, not for a terrible team.

I don't think we are a flexible as we thought. I'm guessing we simply dont want to spend that much money and will see a considerable dump in expenses.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
It isnt safe to say. In fact it is completely incorrect

I should have said "without the Sox paying half or 3/4 of his salary to the team that got him." I think Hahn pretty much got in return what Rios is currently worth (considering team must take his full salary sans 1 million)

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Leury Garcia's combined numbers between AA and AAA:

147 games

624 PAs

570 ABs

86 runs

161 hits

20 2B

15 3B

6 HR

49 RBI

43 SB

11 CS

132 K

36 BB

.282 AVG

.329 OBP

.402 SLG

Not bad for a 22 year-old. A better version of Carlos Sanchez?

I think he's going to remind us of Eduardo Escobar

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Where does Semien fit into your 2014 Sox plans?

Exactly where A. Garcia was before today.

In my ideal world, I send him to the AFL, I keep him in big league camp until the last guy, and I spend the winter taking offers on Alexei. If no offers are satisfactory, I send him to Charlotte to start the year (there is zero harm in sending a 23 year old wtih less than 700 PA's above A ball to Charlotte for 2 months).

L. Garcia immediately pencils in as the backup for every position in the IF and CF and hopefully can hold those down.

If Alexei isn't moved for a good deal in the offseason, semien's job for next year then becomes "hit so well that you force us to take a crappy return on Alexei in order to bring you up".

Baseball Prospectus:

IF/OF Leury Garcia: Another super-toolsy player in the system, little Leury Garcia shows plus-plus attributes in the field and with his legs, prompting some to compare him to an even smaller Rafael Furcal. In a system full of toolsy shortstop prospects, Garcia might have the loudest tools of the bunch. With a plus-plus arm, smooth actions, and 8 run, the diminutive yet catalytic player has positioned himself as a future super-utility option at the highest level. At the plate, he can make contact and get his legs involved, and on defense, he can play on the left side of the infield and has even logged time in the outfield.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)

I dont think the Sox will, but they can sign guys and even better the team from what it was, if they'd so choose. Where as they couldn't/wouldn't before.

I think re-allocating money is a wise move. I think the Sox are in a good position to draft high caliber players and sign some guys internationally. I wouldnt want to see all that money get used but rather re-tool with youth for a couple years and see what you have. Lets see if the rotation holds up and if so, you can gun for hitters via free agency once you see how things shape out on the farm over the next 18 months. If you want to go all-in again, I think the earliest would be 2015. Likely 2016.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
I would love for Texas to be terrible next year to see what they get for Rios.

Interesting. For all we know, Texas will try to trade him this winter or at next year's trade deadline just as the Sox would have tried to do. If he's ever going to have a career year it'd be next year cause he'll be playing for a contract. I won't second guess Hahn on this one. He's gone. Sox got a decent prospect and got rid of all that money.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
Interesting. For all we know, Texas will try to trade him this winter or at next year's trade deadline just as the Sox would have tried to do. If he's ever going to have a career year it'd be next year cause he'll be playing for a contract. I won't second guess Hahn on this one. He's gone. Sox got a decent prospect and got rid of all that money.

He's a great fit for Texas next year also. He probably makes them even better than Nelson Cruz if his all-around game stays solid, he strengthens their defense and baserunning which are good things when they already have some serious bats in their lineup, and he's barely more expensive than Cruz was this year, so their payroll really doesn't change.