Semien optioned to AAA

justBLAZE

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 06:46 AM)
Actually, the Charlotte roster is now at 25 includung Semein. Micah due to come back soon will make 26. They have another infielder named Michael Johnson who isn't playing much and is probably expendable.

It's a little more complicated than that. Davidson, Johnson, Semien, Sanchez, and Saladino.

Semien was rushed up here. It was obvious from his time in AAA and MLB last year that he wasn't quite ready for the big time. That's okay, most players need more than a handful of games at AAA before they can hit big league pitching. This will be good for him and should provide a chance for the Sox to assess his accumen at SS.

When does Micah Johnson come off the DL? I wonder if the Sox will put him in the OF in Charlotte when that time comes. I'd like to see Semien and Sanchez in the MI ether at SS or 2B pretty close to every day. Maybe put Micah in CF? It's not like Jared Mitchell, Tekotte, or Gorkys Hernandez would be affected that much by playing less. Interesting scenario's brewing for that Charlotte team.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
Is Liddi on the roster still or did they release him?

If Micah Johnson and Saladino will be getting some Ab's in the OF they may as well release or trade Gorkys Hernandez or Tekotte as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
The good news is his power was here, which I didn't know was real. The bad news is the k rate and contact numbers. Both of those I'd say are indicative of needing more seasoning.

These usually go together. More power=more K.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Lol... Where have you been??

I've been counting the days till Abreu came back and I knew it was going to be the 2nd of June but somehow I didn't put 2 and 2 together to equate Abreu's return with Semien's departure. I just kept thinking about the "insider" saying Sanchez was coming up either hinting at a Beckham or Alexei trade. Sorry brain cramp.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 3m

Robin Ventura said he hopes that Marcus Semien gets a chance to play outfield at Triple-A. #WhiteSox

lol wut?

That tells me the team has no plans at all to trade Alexei anytime soon. If you can turn Marcus into any kind of LF, I'd start him over De Aza in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
That tells me the team has no plans at all to trade Alexei anytime soon. If you can turn Marcus into any kind of LF, I'd start him over De Aza in a heartbeat.

I think it means the Sox see Semien as a super sub with a bat (say: 270/330/400) that you could squint hard and say "ok, if someone gets injured 30 games of this guy in left won't kill us".

I dunno, it's arguable that he has 3 more talented players ahead of him already on the 25 man (Conor, Alexei, Gordo) and 2 players more talented than him (Micah and Sanchez) in AAA and the Sox see his future as a super sub.

300 PA a year as a guy that can cover 2B,3B and the Corners is a nice piece, especially at min salary.

edit: not to jinx it, but this is the first time in recent memory the Sox actually have enough talented position infield players to where you actually have to feel a bit bad about someone getting sent down.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
I think it means the Sox see Semian as a super sub with a bat (say: 270/330/400) that you could squint hard and say "ok, if someone gets injured 30 games of this guy in left won't kill us".

I dunno, it's arguable that he has 3 more talented players ahead of him already on the 25 man (Conor, Alexei, Gordo) and 2 players more talented than him (Micah and Sanchez) in AAA and the Sox see his future as a super sub.

300 PA a year as a guy that can cover 2B,3B and the Corners is a nice piece, especially at min salary.

Right now, a .730 OPS from LF is actually right around the league average for LF production.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
I think it means the Sox see Semien as a super sub with a bat (say: 270/330/400) that you could squint hard and say "ok, if someone gets injured 30 games of this guy in left won't kill us".

edit: not to jinx it, but this is the first time in recent memory the Sox actually have enough talented position infield players to where you actually have to feel a bit bad about someone getting sent down.

I think it's way too premature to make any observations or comparisons with the latter two...let alone Gillaspie and Beckham, based mostly on the last 2 months.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
I think it's way too premature to make any observations or comparisons with the latter two...let alone Gillaspie and Beckham, based mostly on the last 2 months.

Could be, but luckily we have Soxtalk where we can prematurely discuss everything!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)
If we went into 2015 with a bonafide defensive CF, and then Eaton/Gillaspie/Johnson at LF/3B/2B there would be plenty of ABs for Semien to pick up.

With this manager? Only if Eaton keeps getting hurt. Robin doesn't use his bench.

Increased versatility is a good thing for players to have, not bad.

It's the eternal optimist in me, but I think a high end comparison for Semien could be Ben Zobrist. Zobrist has always shown better contact rates, but I don't think it's far fetched to assume that Semien could be very productive with the bat.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
Increased versatility is a good thing for players to have, not bad.

It's the eternal optimist in me, but I think a high end comparison for Semien could be Ben Zobrist. Zobrist has always shown better contact rates, but I don't think it's far fetched to assume that Semien could be very productive with the bat.

That'd be a really good career if he were as good as Zobrist. Zobrist has had two seasons as an 8 WAR player and has accumulated 32.9 WAR in his career. Zobrist is very good. I hope Semien could be close to that good.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
That'd be a really good career if he were as good as Zobrist. Zobrist has had two seasons as an 8 WAR player and has accumulated 32.9 WAR in his career. Zobrist is very good. I hope Semien could be close to that good.

Right, and that's making a lot of assumptions, because Semien obviously has worse contact rates. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to see Semien put up .250/.330/.420 with solid defense.