Sox should trade for Andre Ethier

shysocks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
Depending how badly the Dodgers want to get rid of Ethier before he becomes a 5/10 guy, maybe they would take LaRoche since they still would be saving some money and either trade or release him.

Makes sense to me. Too easy, tho.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
I think I read somewhere that every major league team either averaged using eight starting pitchers...or actually had a minimum of using eight different starters over the course of the 2015 season.

8 seems high but I think it is fair to say we can expect the White Sox to need a 6th starter this year since one of our 5 will go down w some injury ( and /or Johnson or Danks will struggle). I thought they would add someone but they must be confident they have enough depth internally.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
8 seems high but I think it is fair to say we can expect the White Sox to need a 6th starter this year since one of our 5 will go down w some injury ( and /or Johnson or Danks will struggle). I thought they would add someone but they must be confident they have enough depth internally.

nice post,

this is what i am thinking, it is not that i have no faith in the pitching core, but there is some serious question marks i have. the top 3 will carry this team. enuf said.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)

8 sounds about right. Teams always have guys coming up to make random starts. Not looking at numbers I'd guess that we used about 9 or 10 (Sale Quintana Samardzija Danks Noesi Rodon Carroll Beck Johnson Montas are my guesses).

Edited by soxfan2014

The Chicago White Sox, who have been rumored to have interest in Fowler, would be a perfect fit for Ethier

Trades have been the ideal method of improvement for the White Sox this offseason. Even with the loss of multiple prospects in separate deals to acquire Todd Frazier and Brett Lawrie, there are still enough bullets in the chamber to get Ethier. The price on the Dodgers outfielder won't be high and on top of that the team would have to pay part of his salary to facilitate a deal.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/sports/op-ed.../article/455987

Nothing really new, just more speculation. I do wonder how serious the Dodgers are in moving Ethier. Not much being said about it outside of sports writer's speculating. I know the Dodgers like depth but good grief how many outfielders do they need, lol?

Just tell the Dodgers we'll take on all of Ethier's contract if they include Thompson in a package for Avi. :lol:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
I think I read somewhere that every major league team either averaged using eight starting pitchers...or actually had a minimum of using eight different starters over the course of the 2015 season.

We used 9 over the course of the season.

We used Sale, Danks, Q, Rodon, Shark, Noesi, EJ, Montas and Beck.

Admittedly Montas and EJ were used as September call ups and Noesi was released because he was garbage.

QUOTE (glangon @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 05:24 AM)
We used 9 over the course of the season.

We used Sale, Danks, Q, Rodon, Shark, Noesi, EJ, Montas and Beck.

Admittedly Montas and EJ were used as September call ups and Noesi was released because he was garbage.

The 2005 White Sox used 6 which was the fewest any team had used in many years. Just a spot start here or even a minor injury there adds up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
The 2005 White Sox used 6 which was the fewest any team had used in many years. Just a spot start here or even a minor injury there adds up.

Beck was a spot start.

Montas was a spot start and part of the September call-ups.

Noesi was released and replaced by Rodon.

Sale had a minor injury but we went to a 4 man rotation due to the schedule.

I suspect if we were in contention, you probably wouldn't have seen EJ starting in September (unless there was an injury or double header)

That would have still meant 8 pitchers which I suspect was less than most teams out there, see Dodgers, Blue Jays and Yankees for examples.

I thought that apart from Sale at the start, our rotation was relatively injury-free and it was scheduling issues due to rain-outs and the Baltimore riots which caused more chaos to our rotation than injuries.

QUOTE (glangon @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
Beck was a spot start.

Montas was a spot start and part of the September call-ups.

Noesi was released and replaced by Rodon.

Sale had a minor injury but we went to a 4 man rotation due to the schedule.

I suspect if we were in contention, you probably wouldn't have seen EJ starting in September (unless there was an injury or double header)

That would have still meant 8 pitchers which I suspect was less than most teams out there, see Dodgers, Blue Jays and Yankees for examples.

I thought that apart from Sale at the start, our rotation was relatively injury-free and it was scheduling issues due to rain-outs and the Baltimore riots which caused more chaos to our rotation than injuries.

You still can't bank on using only using 5-6 guys throughout a 162-game season.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
You still can't bank on using only using 5-6 guys throughout a 162-game season.

Agreed

That is why he's brought in Turner.

He has Carroll who has started before, Beck who had a spot start last year, Danish who is on the fringes and Fullmer who he is looking to get some experience in Spring Training.

I'm not worried about our rotation, I'm more worried about our outfield.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Phil RogersVerified account

‏@philgrogers

Not clear if there's a match but #WhiteSox are exploring #Dodgers Andre Ethier. His 2.7 WAR in '15 would be 4th best in their lineup.

If Phil is reporting it, we might as well close this thread.

What Rogers says makes sense and has been speculated all off season so he's really not reporting anything new. Until some rumors come out with regards to how much money the Dodgers are willing to eat for Ethier, I'll take this with a grain of salt. As for Crawford, good luck Dodgers, lol.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
Phil RogersVerified account

‏@philgrogers

Not clear if there's a match but #WhiteSox are exploring #Dodgers Andre Ethier. His 2.7 WAR in '15 would be 4th best in their lineup.

Welp, that's another possible OF upgrade off the table.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
I'd be fine with Ethier. Means Melky would likely stay in left for 2 full years, though. I'd imagine we'd move Ethier to DH after LaRoche.

You'd move Melky to DH. He's a worse defender and has at least a little AL experience playing DH.