2016 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)
4 of the 6 worst records in baseball are AL teams. Surprising this late in the season.

Just too many good teams in the AL, so the bad ones don't have any soft spots on the schedule. The AL teams who aren't in that overall bottom 6 are .500 or better.

After the rocky start, the AL has taken a big advantage (97 to 83) in interleague head-to-head, as usual.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Just too many good teams in the AL, so the bad ones don't have any soft spots on the schedule. The AL teams who aren't in that overall bottom 6 are .500 or better.

After the rocky start, the AL has taken a big advantage (97 to 83) in interleague head-to-head, as usual.

A weird year in interleague. The NL is actually up 46-44 when using a DH.

The AL is doing damage in NL parks (53-37), and more specifically when playing a 2 home/2 away 4-game series against their local or regional counterpart, Monday-Thursday. The AL is 31-13 in these series (18-4 in NL parks), with the Sox/Cubs, Orioles/Nationals, Yankees/Mets, Rangers/Rockies remaining after the break.

It will probably end up AL 162-138, give or take a few. Good AL teams have to go 11-9 at minimum.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 6m6 minutes ago

It keeps getting worse for #Dbacks Shelby Miller. He has now been optioned to AAA Reno, yielding a 7.14 ERA this season.

What a nightmare trade for the Dbacks. Atlanta absolutely fleeced them.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 05:23 AM)
What a nightmare trade for the Dbacks. Atlanta absolutely fleeced them.

Inciarte hasn't been very good. Honestly think he was one of the most overhyped players on Soxtalk this offseason. I still like Swanson & Blair and definitely think they will easily win the trade (especially with Miller sucking), but it's not quite the haul people thought it was at first.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
Inciarte hasn't been very good. Honestly think he was one of the most overhyped players on Soxtalk this offseason. I still like Swanson & Blair and definitely think they will easily win the trade (especially with Miller sucking), but it's not quite the haul people thought it was at first.

It's still a big f***ing haul considering what their values were at the time.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Fixed.

Mr. Hindsight who likes to list people who are bad at their jobs and claims he has all the good ideas came up with this one

the Braves would certainly not trade Inciarte straight up for Tim Anderson...not to mention the fact we'd suddenly have no SS or C of the future, essentially the two most important positions on the diamond.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Mr. Hindsight who likes to list people who are bad at their jobs and claims he has all the good ideas came up with this one

the Braves would certainly not trade Inciarte straight up for Tim Anderson...not to mention the fact we'd suddenly have no SS or C of the future, essentially the two most important positions on the diamond.

Remember....the Sox should have signed Desmond after the draft!

I think I should copy and paste my thousands of words on why Desmond would succeed starting in December...because there weren't many here who thought signing him was a good idea at all.

Bad defense. NL player. In decline. Won't easily be able to convert to outfield play. Too many strikeouts.

Etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Fixed.

Gee, I spent all of twenty five words this offseason talking about him.

Everyone went over the same list of about 500 players who would have been better options than Avi Garcia.

Unsurprisingly, he still sucks and we still need a big bat.

I didn't even argue nearly as strongly for Alex Gordon as Richie Allen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
I think I should copy and paste my thousands of words on why Desmond would succeed starting in December...because there weren't many here who thought signing him was a good idea at all.

Bad defense. NL player. In decline. Won't easily be able to convert to outfield play. Too many strikeouts.

Etc.

Except he wasn't available in June. I know you were only posting what the White Sox would do, that is why you included signing him in June with giving Latos $10 million and Gerardo Parra $8 million, a couple things the Sox surely would have done,

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
Remember....the Sox should have signed Desmond after the draft!

That's what Hahn wanted to do with Fowler and Desmond.

He wasn't going to surrender the pick for anyone but Alex Gordon and BJ Upton, who luckily didn't want to come to the Sox.

Smart strategy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 07:44 AM)
Except he wasn't available in June. I know you were only posting what the White Sox would do, that is why you included signing him in June with giving Latos $10 million and Gerardo Parra $8 million, a couple things the Sox surely would have done,

Right up there with giving Ubaldo Jimenez the biggest contract in White Sox history...brilliant stuff.

If we signed Parra, we'd AT LEAST have a lot better DH production than Garcia. It's his defense that's dragging down his WAR.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
Right up there with giving Ubaldo Jimenez the biggest contract in White Sox history...brilliant stuff.

If we signed Parra, we'd AT LEAST have a lot better DH production than Garcia. It's his defense that's dragging down his WAR.

Read the first post of a thread you started. You are making things up again

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97876

Here's the way to add three guys and not lose a single pick...upgrading three weaknesses instead of just one.

Latos or Fister is signed to a one year deal, then you wait until June to add Fowler or Desmond (in June) depending on how Saladino and the outfield situation is going...

So essentially Latos/Fister vs. Erik Johnson/Danks and you buy insurance against injury and can attach a QO if they pitch well (which they're going to be more motivated to do on a one year deal, theoretically).

Then you're looking at Parra getting most of the playing time in RF. Garcia would DH against lefties, with Shuck playing RF for Parra. If you want to spend more for a higher OPS, you go Span over Parra and still keep the draft pick.

And you don't have to worry about long-term ramifications for signing any of the Big 3 to five year exploding contracts. Not to mention you have even more financial flexibility created next season.

This post has been edited by caulfield12: Dec 31, 2015 -> 10:03 AM

Keep telling us how dumb Rick Hahn is. He needs to listen to you. if you were the GM the #1 pick may already be clinched.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)

Might want to check on Parra's offense again. You are making things up.

Wrc+ of 63. Avi has a 69.

Edited by Dick Allen