southsider2k5

White Sox Acquire James Shields

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 1m1 minute ago

The #Padres are expected to eat about half of remaining $56 million in Shields contract when they trade him.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)

The #Padres are expected to eat about half of remaining $56 million in Shields contract when they trade him.

Oh thank god. Hope we don't give up anything too significant still. Johnson and another fringe guy is all I'd do.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Mods, can I have the power to delete Green Sox's posts on here? And maybe change my title from Benchwarmer to Garbage Man. Thanks boys

+1000. Guys a clown.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)

Great news.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Tatis Jr. mentioned in that article once again.

Have a feeling it will end up being a bad trade down the line assuming Shields were to come here and do terrible.

If the Pads are eating half of his salary, that means the Sox will owe him about $11M a year. Will need about 1.5 WAR of value each year to make that worth it. Not a slam dunk, but not a tall order either from a guy who, outside of last year, was a steady 3 WAR pitcher, and was even on pace for 3+ WAR before his recent meltdowns.

I'm not going to feel good about this unless the Sox give up next to nothing. Shields is showing a lot of signs that he's cooked.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
If the Pads are eating half of his salary, that means the Sox will owe him about $11M a year. Will need about 1.5 WAR of value each year to make that worth it. Not a slam dunk, but not a tall order either from a guy who, outside of last year, was a steady 3 WAR pitcher, and was even on pace for 3+ WAR before his recent meltdowns.

It'd be 8.5 million a year on average for Sox if padres paid half.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Well hopefully we sign a bunch of talent during this year's international period to forget Tatis. With so many teams unable to spend heavily, we better.

I'm glad we're not giving up much and they're paying for some of his salary, but regardless, he's not even that good... peripherals are discouraging

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
It'd be 8.5 million a year on average for Sox if padres paid half.

Looking at baseball reference, he's set to make $21 mill in each of 17 and 18. That'd be 11.5 we owe him those years. He has an option for $16 mill the following year.