White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bulokis @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
We should not be trading for players. The in between rebuilding and competing is not working.

Exactly! This organization and team needs a complete makeover. Step one is firing Ventura. Step 2 is starting to dismantle the team once they are 7-8 games out in Mid-July. Trading Sale, Q, Rodon, Frazier, Eaton, Abreu, Lawrie, Robertson, and Melky will bring a ton of prospects. The haul from all the trades plus 3-4 years of top 3 draft picks should make this team a force to be reckoned with come 2021 or so!

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Exactly! This organization and team needs a complete makeover. Step one is firing Ventura. Step 2 is starting to dismantle the team once they are 7-8 games out in Mid-July. Trading Sale, Q, Rodon, Frazier, Eaton, Abreu, Lawrie, Robertson, and Melky will bring a ton of prospects. The haul from all the trades plus 3-4 years of top 3 draft picks should make this team a force to be reckoned with come 2021 or so!

Step 1 should be getting new FO management. The Sox overhauling the system with the same people in place is only bound to fail yet again.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
Step 1 should be getting new FO management. The Sox overhauling the system with the same people in place is only bound to fail yet again.

I'm in agreement with firing Hahn and KW but you still gotta fire Ventura first, if only to see what Renteria can do as a manager. I would not trust Hahn or KW in the rebuild of this organization. A torches to the ground rebuild needs to happen though. Winning 70- 75 games a year with no end in sight isn't working.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:37 PM)
I'm in agreement with firing Hahn and KW but you still gotta fire Ventura first, if only to see what Renteria can do as a manager. I would not trust Hahn or KW in the rebuild of this organization. A torches to the ground rebuild needs to happen though. Winning 70- 75 games a year with no end in sight isn't working.

Rick Hahn executed the plan that was given to him with the budget that was allowed. Not really sure what else he was supposed to do.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Rick Hahn executed the plan that was given to him with the budget that was allowed. Not really sure what else he was supposed to do.

I'd trust Hahn to hire a good manager. KW? Nope.

I honestly have faith in Hahn although I wana see the whole thing blown up. I think I'd trust Hahn if he was in charge. JR needs to sack up and fire KW, let Hahn be in charge. Robin needs fired ASAP. Honestly laughable that's he's still managing. This says all I need to know about this organization. Loyal to a fault and will never succeed unless it's lightning in a bottle like 2005. I can't watch until robins gone.

Saw an interesting stat today on the MLB Network about Shields.

He is getting the fewest run support for any pitcher in baseball. S.D. is averaging 1.9 runs per start for him.

Hey Q will have some company if the Sox get him! LOL. Just what the Sox need another 'hard-luck' guy.

Mark

QUOTE (shipps @ May 31, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
I havent looked at his stats at all for this year but I assuming they arent as bad as todays game which you are basing your opinion on for whether or not to trade for the guy?

His peripherals are bad. ERA only good due to best LOB pct of his career

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 01:14 AM)
You see that Shields gem tonight? 2.2 IP 10 ER....Ouch, maybe trade talk is very real and he was nervous?

If we were to give up anything more than EJ for him I will be very pissed. EJ might actually be better than him. Seattle's offense isn't even good.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 02:51 AM)
If we were to give up anything more than EJ for him I will be very pissed. EJ might actually be better than him. Seattle's offense isn't even good.

They are 2nd in runs/game, 2 in OPS and 1st in HRs in the AL. What exactly is your standard for qualifying as good?

And putting up those numbers playing 81 games per year at Safeco makes it even MORE impressive. Nobody can match Boston, but Seattle is finally living up to expectations that went with the Cano and Cruz signings last year. They just needed the starting pitching to go with the offense and defense.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
Wish I had been around to get this on record a week ago before he got shelled, but I wouldn't be in favor of a Shields acquisition under almost any circumstances. He is not good anymore.

What if they also give up Jon Jay? He isnt great but he would be a left handed bat that we could use. Plus I think we would all rather have Shields instead of Latos?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
What if they also give up Jon Jay? He isnt great but he would be a left handed bat that we could use. Plus I think we would all rather have Shields instead of Latos?

Absolutely not when you factor in cost. I haven't read this whole thread and I'm sure there are plenty of creative proposals in here about getting San Diego to kick in half the money. I just don't want to go anywhere near Shields. I think he is bad and he is going to get worse.

I think we are too busy dicking around with Johnson. He's had two games and has been pretty darn electric in the minors (again) and was coming off some success last year. I realized he had the slow spring, but he seems to have turned that around and in his last start, he was pretty good outside of losing it in the 7th (not unheard of for a young pitcher to have to deal with adjustments making it through a lineup a 3rd time). He does give up a lot of homers though (not sure if that could be fixed or not).

Clearly we don't like him, and if that is the case, we should have capitalized on his trade value (cause he'll make it as a cost controlled back of the rotation guy somewhere).