Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zisk

zack collins

Recommended Posts

looking like a legit mlb catcher

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, zisk said:

looking like a legit mlb catcher

Yep...I'm not at all bothered when he is catching instead of Grandal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we could of figured this out in 2019 instead of playing Machado's brother in law.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yep...I'm not at all bothered when he is catching instead of Grandal.

Another season in which Grandal is outplayed by his backup catcher. Seems to be a theme over the course of the guy’s career. Collins has really impressed, especially defensively, because I wasn’t expecting much from him there.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collins is a legit mlb catcher. Great eye and can obviously call a game. His power to center and left center is excellent. The more he plays the better he’ll get. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Collins is a legit mlb catcher. Great eye and can obviously call a game. His power to center and left center is excellent. The more he plays the better he’ll get. 

Super happy it seems to have panned out for Collins, solid pro

Wild Grandal is the biggest FA in franchise history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

 

Wild Grandal is the biggest FA in franchise history

That would be Bartolo Colon. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

That would be Bartolo Colon. 

Maybe Ronald Belisario or Matt Albers or Maikel Cleto too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Super happy it seems to have panned out for Collins, solid pro

 

The concern about Collins was the catching ability and he has been fine there. We thought he would have a nice bat, so if he does find the stroke too we are in business. We need the power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only problem is grandal has apparently had the influence on him of taking a knee while receiving pitches. All that does is decrease mobility reducing ability to block pitches and increasing spring time. Pure laziness with literally no advantage. I don’t remember him doing that at the beginning of the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Only problem is grandal has apparently had the influence on him of taking a knee while receiving pitches. All that does is decrease mobility reducing ability to block pitches and increasing spring time. Pure laziness with literally no advantage. I don’t remember him doing that at the beginning of the season

Narron was hired to specifically work with the catchers.  I assume he is the influence behind the knee thing with both guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Only problem is grandal has apparently had the influence on him of taking a knee while receiving pitches. All that does is decrease mobility reducing ability to block pitches and increasing spring time. Pure laziness with literally no advantage. I don’t remember him doing that at the beginning of the season

I've seen more catchers doing that on other teams too.  Don't think that originated with Grandal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Only problem is grandal has apparently had the influence on him of taking a knee while receiving pitches. All that does is decrease mobility reducing ability to block pitches and increasing spring time. Pure laziness with literally no advantage. I don’t remember him doing that at the beginning of the season

So as the Vulture you basically eat the body of the dead so you are circling the barely alive carcass of the "lazy" Grandal is that it ? Oh I'm sorry "pure laziness". Since you don't remember him doing that at the beginning of the season, I'll just guess you don't remember he's had knee pain  since the beginning of spring training. It may not be reported after every game "oh hey Sox fans, catcher is a very difficult position to play . In fact ,so difficult no one really wants to be a catcher and that's why most catchers are such lousy hitters and the one's who aren't often aren't kept at catcher by their teams because they don't want their best players playing through pain all the time." I'm just taking a wild guess here that "taking a knee" might have a little something to do with relieving pain in a sore knee or taking pressure off a knee that is balky. But that's just me .

Can I ask what is "spring time" besides the time of year when flowers bloom ? Is this a stat I can look up so I can see if his spring time truly is increasing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So as the Vulture you basically eat the body of the dead so you are circling the barely alive carcass of the "lazy" Grandal is that it ? Oh I'm sorry "pure laziness". Since you don't remember him doing that at the beginning of the season, I'll just guess you don't remember he's had knee pain  since the beginning of spring training. It may not be reported after every game "oh hey Sox fans, catcher is a very difficult position to play . In fact ,so difficult no one really wants to be a catcher and that's why most catchers are such lousy hitters and the one's who aren't often aren't kept at catcher by their teams because they don't want their best players playing through pain all the time." I'm just taking a wild guess here that "taking a knee" might have a little something to do with relieving pain in a sore knee or taking pressure off a knee that is balky. But that's just me .

Can I ask what is "spring time" besides the time of year when flowers bloom ? Is this a stat I can look up so I can see if his spring time truly is increasing ?

I meant I don’t remember Collins doing that before. Grandal has always taken a knee. Nice rant though

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I've seen more catchers doing that on other teams too.  Don't think that originated with Grandal.

No but good catchers don’t do it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Another season in which Grandal is outplayed by his backup catcher. Seems to be a theme over the course of the guy’s career. Collins has really impressed, especially defensively, because I wasn’t expecting much from him there.

What backup catcher “outplayed” him prior to last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how everybody was so hellbent on writing him off as being able to legitimately catch. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vulture said:

Only problem is grandal has apparently had the influence on him of taking a knee while receiving pitches. All that does is decrease mobility reducing ability to block pitches and increasing spring time. Pure laziness with literally no advantage. I don’t remember him doing that at the beginning of the season

Lol how do you know any of this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What backup catcher “outplayed” him prior to last year?

There is the case of the dodgers playing Barnes over grandal in ‘17-18 postseasons

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His receiving / framing could use some refinement but overall looks much improved.  Seems to be working well with Rodon and curious to see if he continues to catch Giolito.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jerksticks said:

Lol how do you know any of this?

I watch the games? I guess I don’t know what you mean. He takes a knee on practically every pitch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure how this is even controversial. Catchers shouldn’t be taking a knee with runners on base in particular. Note the distinct lack of taking a knee:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vulture said:

There is the case of the dodgers playing Barnes over grandal in ‘17-18 postseasons

I’m aware of that, but Yas had the yips or something and Barnes wasn’t the better player over the course of the regular season.  People can hate on Grandal all they want, but dude has been one of the best catchers in baseball over the past decade due to his hitting and framing alone.  Yes, this season has been ugly so far, but let’s not discredit his track record because he can be a frustrating player to watch or cause he took the catcher job from the most overrated player in Soxtalk history.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What backup catcher “outplayed” him prior to last year?

He wasn’t even outplayed last year really. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He wasn’t even outplayed last year really. 

According to war he was

 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m aware of that, but Yas had the yips or something and Barnes wasn’t the better player over the course of the regular season.  People can hate on Grandal all they want, but dude has been one of the best catchers in baseball over the past decade due to his hitting and framing alone.  Yes, this season has been ugly so far, but let’s not discredit his track record because he can be a frustrating player to watch or cause he took the catcher job from the most overrated player in Soxtalk history.

He got benched two postseasons in a row because he couldn’t be trusted to get the job done behind the plate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×