Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
You're the GM: White Sox edition
QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 10:35 AM) I think Paulie is the #4 hitter next year, and he'll be in line for a $2-$3 million raise only. ($10-$11 million) A fair amount of money will come off the books in 2006 - Everett ($4m), Thomas ($8m), such that the Sox can get a #3 hitter and stay roughly even with 2005. Mind you, I can also see the Sox giving Big Frank a 1-year, $6 million deal. Reinsdorf loves Frank, and will want to keep him if it makes sense. Frank was a very good citizen this year, too. They'll owe him $3.5 million from buy out, so it'll cost the Sox only $2.5 million. If Frank is healthy, he'd still be the most dangerous hitter on the Sox, even if he declines to .265/.370/.550. Not sure who else would sign Frank; in the AL (Frank can only play DH at this point), the Yankees are set on DH with Giambi, and the Red Sox with Big Papi. I guess the Angels are one option (close to Frank's Vegas home), but everyone else is too cheap to dish out the $5 million it'll take to risk on Frank. As close as I can tell the money coming off of the books, pretty well balances out the raises that are on the books. Garland, Crede, and Buehrle are in line for some big raises. A couple of other guys are also working their ways up the ladders of payroll. Frank has a $3.5 million buyout regardless of what we do with him next year. Unless we exercize his $10 million option (which won't happen) we have to pay him that money. Now if we resign him, we have to add that money on top of it all. If we sign pay him $6 million next year, we are only saving two million. It is also under the big assumption that Frank is ready to play next year. It took him a solid year to recover from an indentical injury this year, will it take that long again? Who knows. I was also more dealing with the posters who seem to think that we are going to sign a big price tagged #4 hitter from outside of the system, instead of using an inhouse solution. I keep seeing names like Giles and Konerko bantered about, and the combination of those two, or someone like Giles and someone to replace Konerko would end up costing the White Sox about $15 million a season.
-
What's being overlooked
QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:09 PM) Calling fellow posters assholes is not allowed. Just because you don't like someone's opinions doesn't make those people ignorant. As a matter of a fact I have seen some of the most in depth and intelligent arguements made on both sides of the fence, which really makes your shallow comments which completely lacked detail and depth look, well for lack of a better term, ignorant. There is no need to make loud sweeping comments about a group of people. Especially when there is plenty of lack of evidence to the opposite.
-
Kap, it's official, we're a minority
Wait, Kap is white? I wonder if his mom knows?
-
What's being overlooked
That last line was a little ignorant if you ask me...
-
Reporter for WCKG gives rude awakening
They should have just done the Lawrence Taylor treatment and send some hooker and an 8 ball over there...
-
Steve Dahl's column
Many of you might know that Steve Dahl has been doing a diary/column for the playoffs in the Trib. Here are a couple of gems from today's write up.
-
Where Sciocia really screwed up
QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:42 PM) You make a great point. However, I'm still going to maintain Sciocia's biggest mistake was belaboring the call with the officiating crew as long as he did. Escobar was really in a groove, his team was playing on their toes, and he took the wind right out of their sails with the lengthy objection. I'm not saying he shouldn't have argued the call--in fact, he would have been wrong NOT to--however, I really, truly think he may have hurt his ballclub more than helping them by staying out there for as long as he did. He would have been much better getting the guys together, giving his pitcher a pat on the rear-end and clapping his hands while walking back to the dugout. I mean, you really felt he knew his team was going to fail in that inning. It was a sign of things to come both figuretively and literally. To be fair to Mike, he was trying to argue the call from every angle, trying to get Eddings to involve the other umpires hoping that one of them could/would overrule the call. That couldn't happen until Eddings asked their opinions, and that took a while. The second time he went out there, I believe he was protesting the game, which was fully in his rights to do, and probably not a bad idea either. Ask George Brett, but you never know what could happen under protest. Now I do agree with you that Sciocia should have gathered his team up, and had a real official mound visit to calm everyone down and refocus them. You could tell everyone was too hung up on "the call" to focus on what they needed to do. If you ask me, it was very Prior/Gonzalez-esque in the way that it played out.
-
Where Sciocia really screwed up
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:41 PM) If so, I didn't notice any pain in that arm when he gunned down 2 guys in game 1. ^^^ Well to be fair, one of them was AJ
-
Happy Birthday POTUSChris!
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 10:55 AM) HB, POTUS. Hope if your friends throw you a party it's not BYOB, or else some people might say WTF and then decide not to RSVP. And with all those guests MIA the hosts of the party would be SOL. It really begs the question, WWJD? :D FYI, FWIW There is only one appropriate reply to this... ROTFLMFAO!
-
Pick to click?
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 10:57 AM) Here, Here!! Although I gotta think Yoda slipped somebody a sweet bribe to pull ahead of everybody in the standings like that. . . $20, $40, $60, $80, $100... Oh Um, I mean uh, I finally got my welfare check cashed... I am off to uh, uh, go get some groceries.
-
NEAT-O!
QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 11:32 AM) Over/Under ( in minutes ) on availability of porn on the PornPod: 6 minutes after the PornPod is released to the public. Or however fast the Critic can type
-
Where Sciocia really screwed up
Why would he use his back up catcher to start the game, and have his starter DHing instead? He has got to be smart enough to realize if you need the better Molina in the game, you would lose the use of the DH for the rest of the game if you move him in at Catcher. Instead they PR for Molina late in the game, and instead Josh Paul has to go in at Catcher, meaning the 2nd base was an easy steal for Molina. Getting past the Strike 3/Out controversy, would they have sent Ozuna for 2nd with a Molina behind the plate? Could Ozuna have scored from first on Crede's ball to the wall? That one little move trying to give the better Molina a day off behind the plate, was a big factor in the 9th inning to say the least.
-
Cubs fans have no problem cheering for White Sox
I wonder what bugs them worse, the White Sox, the Astros, or the Cardinals in it... OR ALL 3!!!
-
Congrats to Freddy!
Congratulations to the Garcias
-
You're the GM: White Sox edition
QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 10:19 AM) My interest in signing Furcal basically depends on our overall payroll and our ability to secure legitimate #3 and #4 hitters. If we have money to burn AFTER those needs are met, then he'd be a good addition, even if he is overpaid. We are not going to spend that much money this year. If we secure a #3 and #4 hitter, we are looking at least a $15 million increase over last year, right away. Once you figure in raises and the like for existing players, that takes us to $90 million right away.
-
Tickets
Tons of availability. Prices were coming down towards face even an hour and a half before first pitch. It was so bad that many scalpers wouldn't quote you a price, they were asking what you were willing to spend.
-
Anybody see this poll on ESPN
QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 11:02 PM) Once again... LMFAO Irony. I love it.
-
Official ruling
All of this makes me wonder if Eddings had stayed in a Holiday Express last night, would we be even having this discussion?
-
Pick to click?
QUOTE(DePloderer @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:43 AM) As simple as that? Duh. Thanks. Its actually a complete rip off of what the White Sox announcers to themselves during a game. They each make a pick to click, and then a winner is declared after the game. We have run our own version of this here on Soxtalk for about 3 years now, and even had a couple of prizes this year, thanks to the generosity of a couple of players.
-
Happy Birthday POTUSChris!
Happy Birthday POTUS!!!
-
Cap Talk
Maybe we should put it to a vote?
-
John Cusack at Game 2
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 08:20 AM) Well, it just goes to show you that nothing is a. . . Sure Thing. But you will have to agree that it has been One Crazy Summer.
-
Official ruling
QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 08:44 AM) I think this has been one of the best discussions we have had on any subject I agree. Most excellent.
-
Pump It Up!
I was in line to buy a couple of things from the HOF gift shop. I was third in line, with another guy in front of me. A woman, cash in hand, looks throught the glass counter at the DVDs and procedes to ask "Who is Nancy Foust?" The guy in front of me, and behind her repeats in stunned disbelief.. "Who is Nancy Foust? She's the organist. She's been here like 35 years! "Oh really? Wow, I didn't know that." Yep, the bandwagon is filling fast. Get your seats now!
-
John Cusack at Game 2
QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 08:16 AM) I know that after JR turned Cusack down, John was hoping Jerry wouldn't........... ...........Say Anything. I'm sorry..... Now if only those cute and fuzzy bunnies could take out Joan