Jose Fernandez dead

PolishPrince34

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
I really hate to make the comparison, but Bias was a 2 time All American, 2 time ACC player of the year and 2nd overall pick by the Celtics. Based on the exposure, he was already a star. It's not like a MLB prospect dying because nobody really watches MiLB and they aren't making the cover of Sports Illustrated. I was 5 years old when he died and I still remember hearing the news. Bias was actually the first thing I thought about when I heard the news because it was 2 budding stars that's died tragically doing something stupid. Such a bummer.

Not trying to be over sensitive, but I don't think there's enough details released to say they were being stupid on the boat. No alcohol found on the scene and suspicion is they may not have even seen the jetty before they hit it.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 02:13 AM)
Ugh, this is so f***ed up. Some guys and I were talking at work. Who the last young star to die in pro sports? Closest I could think of was Oscar Tavares, but even though he was the #1 prospect in the sport, he wasn't a star yet.

My buddy mentioned some basketball player, but I don't follow that sport.

EDIT: Sean Taylor comes to mind now.

Yes Sean Taylor is who comes to mind instantly for me. Other guy wasn't a superstar but was a starter in the majors would be Nick Adenhart.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
Yes Sean Taylor is who comes to mind instantly for me. Other guy wasn't a superstar but was a starter in the majors would be Nick Adenhart.

If memory serves coerectly, he died the same night he made his major league debut. So horrible to read about his passing the next day.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
Not trying to be over sensitive, but I don't think there's enough details released to say they were being stupid on the boat. No alcohol found on the scene and suspicion is they may not have even seen the jetty before they hit it.

I'm sure statistics would tell you driving 30 foot boat full speed at 3:30 AM along the shoreline is more dangerous than having a coke bender.

Apparently the friends that also tragically passed with him were friends with more players on the Marlins as well and spent time on that boat. Can you imagine if this had happened the night before/early morning of a day off? Marlins and baseball world may be mourning more than just Fernandez today.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)

Agreed. Not nearly as bad as what Taveras did. And that comparison is flawed since Hernandez was already a budding star, not based off "maybe he'll be a star".

According to TMZ Sports, Fernández and one of the other people killed in the crash were seen a popular Miami waterfront "party spot" around 2:00 am Sunday morning. The restaurant has a dock that can be accessed by boaters and is said to be a "short distance" from the crash site.

Sources for Dan Le Batard of ESPN and the Miami Herald have told him that Fernández was drinking that night. 

"He left that bar with a bottle of Don Julio [tequila]," Le Batard said on ESPN Radio. "It's a bar you can pull up to in your boat and I know he was drinking."

Le Batard went on to say that the Marlins had grown worried about the 24-year-old's behavior away from the ballpark.

"The Marlins were worried about his off-field behavior," Le Batard said. "If this life was lost in a way that was reckless ... If drinking was involved, it doesn't make it any less tragic, but it does make it more reckless."

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
Watching everything before the game, the Dee Gordon moment, and after the game made me tear up. My fiancee walked by and asked me if I was crying, can't a man cry a little bit anymore?

You couldn't have scripted it. That's one of the most amazing moments in baseball history.

The top comment on MLB's FB video was this.

"As a Mets fan, I used to think, "I'd do just about anything to not have to face Jose Fernandez." Now I'd do just about anything to be able to face him again."

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
Watching everything before the game, the Dee Gordon moment, and after the game made me tear up. My fiancee walked by and asked me if I was crying, can't a man cry a little bit anymore?

Just watched some pregame, Al Leiter is cynical as f***.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
I cried during the Dee Gordon moment, not gonna lie.

That was unreal. Gotta say it... And it takes nothing away from that momentous at-bat.... I think Colon grooved that whole sequence with an intention of giving a lead off home run.

An 85 mph meat ball center cut and in on 2-0 just screams, "Mash me far".

If so... Nice move by Colon.

Such a class act by the Marlins playing with everyone wearing Fernandez jerseys.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)
What did he say?

His tone was just totally different from everything else that took place pre-game. You got the play by play guy who's all somber and on the verge of crying it seems and all the players huddled around the mound crying then you have Al Leiter almost gleefully setting the narrative. Just a total 180 from literally everyone else.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
I honestly wonder if he can win the Cy Young. His numbers are very good this year. Would be pretty cool of the MLB to do so. Also, if anyone saw that video of his grandmother on YT from a year or so ago... hard to hold back the tears.

It's a nice thought but Hendricks, Scherzer, Lester, Bumgarner, etc. are probably more deserving.