White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
I've heard the market for Robertson described as "ice cold." Sox aren't getting anything of significance for Robertson.

Which to me means, why even try. Just wait until the deadline..see if he kicks butt and if he does, you can get more for him. It isn't like payroll is a major issue.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Which to me means, why even try. Just wait until the deadline..see if he kicks butt and if he does, you can get more for him. It isn't like payroll is a major issue.

Yep. Hold him. You have two years with him. Bet on a rebound, and then someone will have to pay up instead of buying low.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Agreed. Sox best course of action is to let Robertson rebuild his value and trade Jones and his incredible contract now.

Do you think it's likely that Jones is moved this offseason? Like you said, they might as well move Jones now while his value is sky high and wait for DRob to get back to the way he was before last season and flip him to a desperate team next trade deadline.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Do you think it's likely that Jones is moved this offseason? Like you said, they might as well move Jones now while his value is sky high and wait for DRob to get back to the way he was before last season and flip him to a desperate team next trade deadline.

Robertson will have more value at the deadline, especially if he has a strong season up until that point. Walks killed him last season, and if he can reduce his BB/9 rate he should be just fine.

I know you asked Rabbit (it's opinionated anyway) but in my opinion I'm gonna say no.

Jones would be able to bring a return similar to Tyler Thornburg I'd imagine?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
But why? Unless the market for him just isn't there, I find it highly unlikely that Jones will ever be worth more than he is right now. The Sox need to take advantage of that.

The market for bullpen help might be better at the deadline that it will be in the offseason.

When a contender can sniff the playoffs, pen arms are always a hot commodity

It doesn't seem like there is a large market of teams selling out to win right now. That will change at deadline.

I would love to know if Sox feel regret holding onto Drob at deadline last year after seeing his market this offseason or if it was largely the same.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
But why? Unless the market for him just isn't there, I find it highly unlikely that Jones will ever be worth more than he is right now. The Sox need to take advantage of that.

Takes two to make a deal. It's easy for us to say he should be dealt for a haul but you also have to find the team willing to deal the haul.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
It doesn't seem like there is a large market of teams selling out to win right now. That will change at deadline.

I would love to know if Sox feel regret holding onto Drob at deadline last year after seeing his market this offseason or if it was largely the same.

Washington seemed like the biggest one.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
Sox were trying to compete last year, they weren't looking to trade their top reliever.

They traded Duke, and by all reports had discussed Sale even for a comical price. I can't imagine they didn't hear any offers on Robertson. They were 8 games back of the wild card on August 1st.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
Agreed. Sox best course of action is to let Robertson rebuild his value and trade Jones and his incredible contract now.

I agree. I actually think putting Jones in the closer role would have had more downside then upside. We all know there are certain players who just can't close (for whatever reason) and if Jones had a few bad outings, it could have hindered his trade value a lot more then the potential upside from a solid couple months (imo). Jones value should be high, the only real question is how much of a negative in trade value is his injury history.

Jones is very high on my list of guys we should move now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
I agree. I actually think putting Jones in the closer role would have had more downside then upside. We all know there are certain players who just can't close (for whatever reason) and if Jones had a few bad outings, it could have hindered his trade value a lot more then the potential upside from a solid couple months (imo). Jones value should be high, the only real question is how much of a negative in trade value is his injury history.

Jones is very high on my list of guys we should move now.

With what relievers are being traded for, I would rather see him moved that Quintana. Starters will always have high value, set up men? I find it hard to believe.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
But Bruce Levine said we could get Robles.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
I laughed so hard when I saw that article

maybe not soo crazy..

Pip

1:18 I've seen multiple people talk about the nationals trading for Robertson, and suggesting they would have to give up Robles. Isn't that insane?! Robertson is teir 3, maybe sometimes a tier 2 closer. Even if the WhiteSox agreed to take on all of his salary, its still so lopsided. Are WhiteSox fans just prospect drunk or do you think there is actually something to it?

Dan Szymborski

1:18 I'm not sure it's a crazy in a win-now environment.

Robertson is only not tier one if you think 2016 is what he definitely is.

The White Sox defense was comically bad in 2015.

from Dan's FG chat today

Robles for Robertson...yes please.